Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why there are a lack of tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why there are a lack of tanks

moscowpescado
11.07.2013 , 12:06 AM | #211
Don't know about all.. but I can answer that for me. I am new to SWtor but have played several MMORPGS and am familialr with tanking and agro mechanics. Rolled up a juggy tank.. and figure things out.. had adaptive armor with hp heavy mods etc. all current lvl appropriate gear.

Ran a couple fp's did fine then tried to tank my first Hammer Station. Understand I am new to the game and don't know the instances. Had run HS a cpl times on another toon so was vaguely familiar with the layout and tactics. everything went fine agroed all groups.. held agro, even jumped to healer and pulled mobs off when I saw something go her way etc. Lost a dps on the way.. dc'ed I think.. new one joins.. rest of run goes fine until final boss. I didn't know about turning the boss or the grontal aoe. To make matters worse the new hotshot dps wasn't picking up adds and the healer was getting swamped so I jumped ads got the all agroed.. went back to boss and ended up dieing.

hotshot immediately starts bytching in chat calling me names including nood tank and worse.. ( I was obviously) and immediatley tries to vote kick me. I had done my job perfectly up until then. Trying to takc up his slack is what got me killed as well as my ignorance. But I took the heat..

I didn't give him the satisfactin of kicking me.. just politely said if that's how you feel don't bother and dropped squad. Immediatley went to fleet and respec'ed dps. Most mmo's give respect to the tank. I see little of that here and very little respect for us new to the game trying to learn the instances and mechanics. I refuse to take a leadership role in an instance that requires me to do extra work, try to protect all my team mates and then be abused for it.

Dps all the way untill I know all the instances forwards and backwards.. and y'all can wait for the experienced tanks or deal with the idiots listed in this thread because it's not pleasant to try to learn in this game and be real.. games are supposed to be fun.

I love to tank btw.

klham
11.07.2013 , 07:03 AM | #212
I didn't read thru the entire thread, but imho there are fewer tanks because:
  • Tanks put up with a lot, especially from hotshot mdps
  • Everything takes longer when playing solo
  • They require a whole other gear set that isn't useful for the other two specs in the tree
  • You're expected to lead all the time, to know the maps, know the fights
  • All three tanks are melee specs, so that turns away players with different playstyles
  • The cost of mistakes is much higher
  • Did I mentioned tanks have to put up with a lot?
Healing is at the other end of the spectrum. It's relaxing, everyone appreciates you, you can stand back and actually see everything that's going on, there's greater margin for error and correction of errors without causing a wipe.
Tavjun (Gunnery) | POT5
:: Eridani Legacy ::

tourck
11.07.2013 , 09:09 PM | #213
To the OP... what? I love it, and ya, my raider is usually way more ****** than the tank im in a FP with but.... the challenge is to try and keep the aggro.... and not get bounced for sucking.

slafko
11.11.2013 , 04:34 AM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
[*]Everything takes longer when playing solo.
Disagree.

When running dailies, I am a lot faster with my Shadow + Nadia than I am with my Sentinel + Doc; even without stealth in the equation. It's just that the combined damage output of shadow+Nadia is far greater than sentinel+Doc. One other factor is the amount of damage the shadow can take - I can basically heal up riding my speeder to the next quest thingy or chilling in an elevator. Doc, even in his dps stance, still has to heal the sentinel who has to keep an eye on wandering mobs and overaggro.

Things get slower when I'm on my vanguard tank. She's the least geared of the three and is almost always accompanied by Elara. With that tank+healer set up, nothing the dailies have can kill me but it also means mobs take a lot longer to die. Now you're asking yourself "why take a healer comp with your tank WTFLOL". Well, it just so happens that Elara is the least annoying member of Havoc squad.

Never_Hesitate
11.11.2013 , 04:56 AM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by moscowpescado View Post
Most mmo's give respect to the tank. I see little of that here and very little respect for us new to the game trying to learn the instances and mechanics. I refuse to take a leadership role in an instance that requires me to do extra work, try to protect all my team mates and then be abused for it.

Dps all the way untill I know all the instances forwards and backwards.. and y'all can wait for the experienced tanks or deal with the idiots listed in this thread because it's not pleasant to try to learn in this game and be real.. games are supposed to be fun.

I love to tank btw.
As a good tank who doesn't make too many mistakes noone can touch you but to get to that stage from being a new tank you have to practice.

What helps a lot is a short statement at the beginning of a fp you don't know (too well), like "Hi, I'm here for the first time. Could someone please inform me of any specialities?"
Most people will gladly do it and I they kick you for the question, you wouldn't like to play with them anyway.

Back when I started my first tank (a PT on the Fatman when my server was pretty much empty) I must have been pretty aweful too, but the more experienced players helped me becoming better.
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

SaberBrown
11.11.2013 , 03:14 PM | #216
I am a tank self taught, first one too, level 42 Sith Juggernaut. I like that there is a lack of tanks in game it makes it easier for me to find groups for flashpoints, and all these people complaining about tanking is crap, I don't think tanking is a difficult job and if its difficult for you then you need to work on your tank, if you aren't a very good tank or your a new tank go on the inter webs and Google it. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube about tanking I am sure you can find one or two that help, if your still having trouble there are websites that tell you how to build a tank, also use your hotbars there are plenty of open keys that you can set up as hotkeys if you haven't already. Another little tip the healer of the group is your BEST friend, protect them the Dps can handle themselves and a lot of Flashpoints can be completed with minimal use of the Dps, but without the healer my fellow tanks it pretty much guaranteed that you are going to die. Good Luck and stop complaining about being a tank your leading the Flashpoint of course your job is going to be more difficult then the Dps in the group.

knell
11.11.2013 , 10:03 PM | #217
There are a lack of tanks in every MMO.

Zuuf
11.21.2013 , 09:20 PM | #218
The main two toons I play are both tanks: one Juggernaut and one Assassin. As far as gear is concerned, both of them are in a mix of 72's and 78's. I run 6 Flashpoints each week (3 for each of them) and since the last expansion I've only had to put 2 DPS on ignore and drop one group. I'm sufficiently geared so that under-geared healers and DPS can typically still complete the run. I don't mind explaining boss fights, and prefer to type out a line or two to remind DPS to focus on killing the turrets instead of the boss before pulling the last boss and suffering the consequences of not mentioning the basic strategy.

I wouldn't mind doing more than 3 HM level 55 Flashpoints each week, but the only reward worth my time are the Ultimate Commendations. If Bioware put in an Ultimate Comm bonus for the roles that were under-represented in group finder, I would run a lot more flashpoints.

I suspect there are a few other tanks that could be similarly motivated.

Mallorik
11.22.2013 , 12:20 AM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by moscowpescado View Post

I love to tank btw.
It does help to learn fps as a dps, atleast to get an idea. But nobody should be learning how to tank in hm 55's, if youre really green que for some 50's then move on to hm 50's. Just keep running them till youre comfortable them move up a notch and try one of them.