Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why there are a lack of tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why there are a lack of tanks

Vodamin
10.28.2013 , 03:00 AM | #191
I like tanking (no pug tanking for sure), but I do not like the agro management in this game. Sriously, I feel like I am about to lose the agro every second. 100% threat on skills is not enough whan your dps is doing x3 your damage. It is a great pressure, especially in operations.

Jedi_riches
10.28.2013 , 04:35 AM | #192
I have just started my first tank, a level 17 Jedi guardian, yet I think with this character I wont do flashpoints (maybe even Heroic 4's, I just dont feel confident to take up the tank roll for others, just me and my companion it should be fine.

slafko
10.28.2013 , 08:31 AM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodamin View Post
I like tanking (no pug tanking for sure), but I do not like the agro management in this game. Sriously, I feel like I am about to lose the agro every second. 100% threat on skills is not enough whan your dps is doing x3 your damage. It is a great pressure, especially in operations.
I'm not a fan of aggro management in the game because I find it terribly easy to keep aggro on me. Then again, I've been playing shadow tank almost exclusively.

CaptainApop
10.28.2013 , 08:47 AM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Vodamin View Post
They buffed tanks to 300% threat almost a year ago 0.o
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Vodamin
10.28.2013 , 11:41 AM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I'm not a fan of aggro management in the game because I find it terribly easy to keep aggro on me. Then again, I've been playing shadow tank almost exclusively.
Shadows have better agro management. Way better than guardians. Maybe because half of your atacks deal force damage (force damage has higher dfault accuracy percentage), or maybe because the abilities that have higher threat % are on lower cooldown (Project vs Guardian Slash for example).

Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
They buffed tanks to 300% threat almost a year ago 0.o
http://i.imgur.com/mSHJ2Y1.jpg what?

Agidius
10.28.2013 , 11:48 AM | #196
Yeah, stance only doubles the threat generation.

So against a 3000+ dps you can't hold aggro theoretically only with damage, you'll need to use taunts.

Of course, this happens rarely, more often dps pulls aggro with a series of crits, or in my case, I miss with an attack (at snap threat phase)

THoK-Zeus
10.28.2013 , 12:36 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Agidius View Post
Yeah, stance only doubles the threat generation.

So against a 3000+ dps you can't hold aggro theoretically only with damage, you'll need to use taunts.

Of course, this happens rarely, more often dps pulls aggro with a series of crits, or in my case, I miss with an attack (at snap threat phase)
Most of the tanks have aggro bonuses on their most important attacks. If a sin tank deals 1,3k damage, discharge will do 300% threat, wither 300%, shock 230%. So 1,3k damage are (assuming shock does 30%, wither 10%, discharge 6%) are ~3k threat. Then you can add ~400 hps (selfhealing) and we have 3,4k dps.

Then add the 110%/130% threat swap cap. So mdps need ~3,8k sustained dps and rdps need 4,4k sustained dps to get aggro from a sin tank.

Dont have numbers for pt/juggs tough but i assume its the same there.

Mallorik
11.02.2013 , 11:47 PM | #198
My only real beef with tanks in this game is the lack of hp, it bugs me that I have close to and some times more hp in my dps gear as I do in my tank gear. I know its not a big deal but something about it just bugs me.

TheRampage
11.03.2013 , 04:21 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallorik View Post
My only real beef with tanks in this game is the lack of hp, it bugs me that I have close to and some times more hp in my dps gear as I do in my tank gear. I know its not a big deal but something about it just bugs me.
Augments

HBCentaurion
11.04.2013 , 07:17 AM | #200
For the love of everything that is holy; don't augment with endurance!

With a mix of 75 / 78s I'm sitting around 41k on my juggernaut tank.