Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kajuratus
08.11.2013 , 08:12 AM | #541
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
On the bright side, since you made me go back and look at the exact quote, rather than your edited viewpoint friendly version. I did note that the statement was that there were no further plans. As they have frequently noted, plans change, and I hope they do in this case.
Hmm, you gotta remember what happened with the Phantom/Spymaster fiasco and then their stance on the Revan armour set. Yes, I know you'll probably say this is a totally different situation, but unless there is an army on the forums screaming for story content to be obtainable through the Cartel Market, I doubt the likelihood of them changing their minds on this, or else risk another thread like this happening again.
The Togruta are here!

Thylbanus
08.12.2013 , 12:13 AM | #542
Quote: Originally Posted by Kajuratus View Post
Hmm, you gotta remember what happened with the Phantom/Spymaster fiasco and then their stance on the Revan armour set. Yes, I know you'll probably say this is a totally different situation, but unless there is an army on the forums screaming for story content to be obtainable through the Cartel Market, I doubt the likelihood of them changing their minds on this, or else risk another thread like this happening again.
They will keep poking until they hit the right nerve. Which I applaud, because this complaint was one of the most ridiculous I've seen in all my years of gaming. Somehow it's ok to charge outside of the Cartel Market, but in the Cartel Market is a no-no, except that we also want the ability to spend Cartel Coins on expansion packs.

WHAT?!

If anyone has followed this from the beginning, it was a limited group who disliked the cubes "sucking up" a space in the cartel packs. Since they knew that there in a pretty weak position, they decided to get the Cartel Market Haters dander up. They spun it to sound noble, knowing full well once they got the nose for it, they would take it to the extreme. And boy did they. This was nothing more than chase armor that had 8 parts, with some BS narcissism from the Shroud. Much ado about nothing.

Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvasquez View Post
How does that make me a hypocrite? I'm a realist. I know that expansion packs come out for MMOs and I can fully expect to pay for them. I don't mind. I do mind buying gambling packs and crossing my fingers for a set of missions. Honestly, I would have liked it better if they had been implemented the way Andryah suggested, as not taking up the rare slot, but rather the mats slot or companion gift slot, or their own slot altogether for these packs. At least in those cases, it wouldn't be such an exorbent amount of money for 8 backstory missions.
Hypocrisy: applying criticism to others that one does not apply equally to oneself. You state that you spent money, pre-ordered even, on content. Now you claim that spending money on content is wrong because it happens in a pack. Except we constantly get content in those packs in the form of XP boosts, gear, crafting materials, etc. The cubes took up parts, just as the armor would have, except part of earning that chase armor is having to sit through the Shroud's narcissism, which was painful enough. If it weren't for the spacebar, I would say that it violated the Geneva Convention.

As for Andryah's suggestion, that was before the whole reveal, and I'm sure she would retract that part knowing the full process. Since these were Cartel Pack items, that also means that they were available on the GTN after a time, something that Makeb probably never will be. So if they want to release content via the Cartel Market, I support it, as long as we can also sell it on the GTN. Thereby allowing those with less money and more time the ability to enjoy the game as well.

See this is where the haters lose sight of how they impact others. Due to this ridiculous ruckus, people who are less fortunate will not be able to share in game content that could have been released via the Cartel Market. Just because some whiny pants felt that he got jipped because he didn't get what he wanted out of a gambling pack because some "stupid" cube took it's place. It is a common belief of gamblers that they would have won had not some other random unrelated even happened. It's why so many gamblers hate leaving "their" machine, or "their" dealer goes on break, etc., and all their silly rituals that they have to do before gambling. "Lucky" rabbits foot anyone?

So, if Kajuratus is right and they never release any content via the Cartel Market. That means the poor will just have suck it up and get a(n other) job in this wonderful 15.4% unemployment rate, if they want to enjoy all the game has to offer. I'm pretty tough on people, but if someone is willing to grind some BS that I don't want to and give me credits for something I can easily buy, I'll do it. It's honest work, at least. Barter system at it's finest.

BTW the "exorbitant" amount was $5.76. For me, it was $0, I just bought it off the GTN. So much for exorbitant. Plus, I'm still baffled that you call watching a holo, a mission. But then again, that would be admitting that it really isn't content.

Talk to you all later, I've got a mission to watch "The Avengers".
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Karkais
08.12.2013 , 03:37 AM | #543
Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvasquez View Post
Incorrect. What it's saying is that any story content isn't gameplay impacting. Not that particular instance of story content. Which is something I completely disagree with. Any type of story content or lore IS gameplay impacting, especially if you're playing the game for.... the story and the lore.
Considering story content IS gameplay, we are talking about some really interesting definitions to "gameplay impacting" here. I agree that the datacubes don't really have much in them beyond one simple cutscene, but if devs are starting to use definitions that effectively say "gameplay is not gameplay" then I have no idea whats in store next..

Introducing expertise gear in cartel market is pretty much the only boundary devs haven't broken yet.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

Mike_Bluesky
08.12.2013 , 06:34 AM | #544
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Introducing expertise gear in cartel market is pretty much the only boundary devs haven't broken yet.
Don't give them ideas

Just put those datacubes in seeker's pool of possible loot and get on with this.
I don't have friends but I really want those pets -> referral link (you get free stuff too!)

Andryah
08.12.2013 , 10:12 AM | #545
If anyone has followed this from the beginning, it was a limited group who disliked the cubes "sucking up" a space in the cartel packs. Since they knew that there in a pretty weak position, they decided to get the Cartel Market Haters dander up. They spun it to sound noble, knowing full well once they got the nose for it, they would take it to the extreme. And boy did they. This was nothing more than chase armor that had 8 parts, with some BS narcissism from the Shroud. Much ado about nothing.
/Agree.

See this is where the haters lose sight of how they impact others. Due to this ridiculous ruckus, people who are less fortunate will not be able to share in game content that could have been released via the Cartel Market. Just because some whiny pants felt that he got jipped because he didn't get what he wanted out of a gambling pack because some "stupid" cube took it's place. It is a common belief of gamblers that they would have won had not some other random unrelated even happened. It's why so many gamblers hate leaving "their" machine, or "their" dealer goes on break, etc., and all their silly rituals that they have to do before gambling. "Lucky" rabbits foot anyone?
/Agree.

As for Andryah's suggestion, that was before the whole reveal, and I'm sure she would retract that part knowing the full process. Since these were Cartel Pack items, that also means that they were available on the GTN after a time, something that Makeb probably never will be. So if they want to release content via the Cartel Market, I support it, as long as we can also sell it on the GTN. Thereby allowing those with less money and more time the ability to enjoy the game as well.
I stand by my suggestion. Why? Because while the completion of the 8 cubes unlocks a unique armor set and could be argued as a rare reward in itself..... it was a new approach, and an approach that devalued the rare loot yield from the packs (both perception wise and in actuality by spreading it across 8 cubes in two packs).. It would cost Bioware nothing to have just added it as "frosting on top of".

My guess though is that it would cost something... as they would have had to do some recoding of the loot mechaincs for packs.. and did not want to bother doing so if this was a test content release. They could have just made the cubes as non-rare loot in the separate table though IMO. But.....since the players rose up and "slayed the windmill' in true Don Quixote fasion on this one.. I guess Bioware actually made the right decision though.
Negativity achieves nothing positive or productive. It's hostile and it reveals a persons true character. It's a useless and miserable way to spend one's time, IMO ... but some people like being miserable I guess. This is true in real life and it is true inside MMOs.

Thylbanus
08.12.2013 , 11:52 AM | #546
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I stand by my suggestion. Why? Because while the completion of the 8 cubes unlocks a unique armor set and could be argued as a rare reward in itself..... it was a new approach, and an approach that devalued the rare loot yield from the packs (both perception wise and in actuality by spreading it across 8 cubes in two packs).. It would cost Bioware nothing to have just added it as "frosting on top of".

My guess though is that it would cost something... as they would have had to do some recoding of the loot mechaincs for packs.. and did not want to bother doing so if this was a test content release. They could have just made the cubes as non-rare loot in the separate table though IMO. But.....since the players rose up and "slayed the windmill' in true Don Quixote fasion on this one.. I guess Bioware actually made the right decision though.
Ok, I can see that. One axiom in my business is: "Perception is reality." And that would be the case, instead of receiving each piece of armor individually, "perception" would still remain, that they were jipped.

Lol, love the Don Quixote.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

KydoEthos
10.09.2013 , 04:45 PM | #547
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
I believe they just crossed a line that they should not have. Putting story content on the Cartel Market is just too much. Don't misunderstand me.....not because it's only 4 short cutscenes that you can watch on YouTube or anything. That really isn't much of a story anyway.

But do consider this. They're testing our reactions. If we let them get away with 4 cutscenes this time, what do you suppose will be in the next Cartel update? 8 cutscenes? Then 16? Then an actual quest or two? Then access to a unique area? Fight a unique Cartel boss? Where will this end? This is the start of a very dark path and we have to stop this madness before they go too far on it.

Multiple developers have stated numerous times that any story content that is not part an expansion pack will be free for subscribers and Cartel Market is reserved for cosmetic stuff only (items that do not affect character performance or game story). I don't care if said story content is just 4 cutscenes or a whole planet. They lied to us....again.

Anyone who thinks this is a minor issue, think again. It may be 4 cutscenes this time that can be bought on the GTN....but what's the guarantee that it will be 4 cutscenes again if we let them continue this trend?

EDIT: I watched the Q&A livestream on Monday and was somewhat reassured when they stated that they were making sure that our subscriptions remain meaningful. Apparently, they don't give a damn about it.
So here is my one and only real question about this and the whole issue as a whole... what IF they do add a unique cartel boss via packs? What is going to happen? More people throw a fit? Probably. What if that boss has literally NOTHING to do with ANY story? So story content is -STORY-. So a unique cartel boss that drops -gasp- cartel vanity gear would not be outside what they said.

Oh gods! You mean that this is something they could do and still be well within their own words? Why yes, that is exactly what I mean.