Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

aeterno
06.28.2013 , 04:40 AM | #481
Ad this stage, with no news of anything substantial in the pipework story content wise that we haven't known for a year now, we're beggars.

And as such we can't be choosers.

Story content making its way to the CM is still better than the warhammer-esque vegetation that's still possible.

zzoorrzz
06.28.2013 , 04:44 AM | #482
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Ad this stage, with no news of anything substantial in the pipework story content wise that we haven't known for a year now, we're beggars.

And as such we can't be choosers.

Story content making its way to the CM is still better than the warhammer-esque vegetation that's still possible.
If you allow story content into CM, you will ensure there will never ever be something in the pipework again story content wise that would be free.

jamesvasquez
06.28.2013 , 05:43 AM | #483
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
If you allow story content into CM, you will ensure there will never ever be something in the pipework again story content wise that would be free.
Exactly. If we don't stop it here, they won't stop anywhere.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

DeadEyeTucker
06.28.2013 , 06:32 AM | #484
Maybe BW has a different idea of what 'pertinent story/lore content' is. Maybe we should be asking the devs for their definition so we can all be on the same page. Does BW consider the musings of some guy before the events of RotHC inconsequential? Maybe so. What if the datacubes gave a cutscene about some guy before the events of SWTOR that didn't show up in the game at all? Would this be okay to sell on the CM? What if it was a lore entry about the Endar Spire's construction from KotOR 1? What exactly is considered 'pertinent story/lore content' that should not be on the CM?

Jaing
06.28.2013 , 07:17 AM | #485
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Pretty much this.

We aren't up in arms about 4 or so cubes with a little cut scene. We're upset about what will be done if we don't speak up. If the cubes get a pass, then something more will be put in the cartel market. Then something more, then something more. IF the company could get away with it, then ALL story content would be placed on the cartel market for an additional charge.

They want to make more money off of the players, they are a business, that is their goal. I'd rather they try to improove the game so that MORE people would play, and pay; seems like the goal now is to get more money from the remaining players. The devs have made promises to the player base in the past, back when F2P was right around the corner and they were trying to prevent subscribers from leaving or unsubbing. Now they're trying to break their promise, but only a very little, and see how the player base reacts.

They are trying to find the line, and ideally push the line, regarding how much story content we are willing to pay for on the cartek market.
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

jamesvasquez
06.28.2013 , 07:45 AM | #486
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaing View Post
Pretty much this.

We aren't up in arms about 4 or so cubes with a little cut scene. We're upset about what will be done if we don't speak up. If the cubes get a pass, then something more will be put in the cartel market. Then something more, then something more. IF the company could get away with it, then ALL story content would be placed on the cartel market for an additional charge.

They want to make more money off of the players, they are a business, that is their goal. I'd rather they try to improove the game so that MORE people would play, and pay; seems like the goal now is to get more money from the remaining players. The devs have made promises to the player base in the past, back when F2P was right around the corner and they were trying to prevent subscribers from leaving or unsubbing. Now they're trying to break their promise, but only a very little, and see how the player base reacts.

They are trying to find the line, and ideally push the line, regarding how much story content we are willing to pay for on the cartek market.
Exactly. That is why putting up this fight is so important. If we don't stand up against this type of behavior, who knows where they could go from here?
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

SithKoriandr
06.28.2013 , 10:02 AM | #487
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
WARNING: True, you could just buy all of them off the GTN.
You assume someone with a sub is someone who has enough creds going around to purchase them off the GTN and that they'll be cheap. They could just as easily go for 5million Creds a piece if that's what the market decided.

Quote:
There is interaction with your companion. There is no interaction with a hologram recording.
Doesn't matter. Time spent making cutscenes/story is time spend making cutscenes/story.

Quote:
Someone had fun with it, or they wouldn't have done it.
Wrong. They made it because that's their job, not because they would or wouldn't have fun doing it.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
06.28.2013 , 10:05 AM | #488
[QUOTE=aeterno;6484094]Ad this stage, with no news of anything substantial in the pipework story content wise that we haven't known for a year now, we're beggars.

And as such we can't be choosers.[QUOTE]

Seeing as how that would go against everything they stated at the beginning of the game, having nothing would also make BW liars.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

powpows
06.28.2013 , 06:46 PM | #489
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
WARNING:

(yes, this whole thing is already finished and just waiting for deployment). To go back and rework that will cause a delay. That may not be a problem for you, but those who DO like these regular pack drops, would be pretty pissed that some whiners caused a delay in their products arrival.
That is why I need someone with qualifications as a computer programmer to refute this.

Hm, i must of missed when they said the next pack was already completed, where did you get this information from?

Claiming you need someone that knows code to refute something is silly, as only a person with actual knowledge of this games coding would know how much work not putting the cubes in the next pack would be, if any. There is only one thing you need to know about programing, EVERYTHING can be changed. It just comes down to how much work it would be, sometimes all you literally have to do to remove something is delete lines of code.

Mark-JPS
06.30.2013 , 07:39 PM | #490
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Geezus...be careful what you wish for. They admit trying to sell story content in the store because it wasn't "P2W", just wait until they sell WZ's in the store and claim the same thing. Their claim that the CM would try to be "cosmetic" only is obviously over...I'm just waiting to see what the next "test" is...
If subscribers doesn't speak up, Bioware will pull a lot of these things over and over again. It's funny how other MMOs that went free-to-play are somewhat insulting SWTOR... Look at Rift for example.. 'No Tricks, No Trials, No Traps‎'. Bioware's Free to Play is instead.. 'Full of Tricks, Full of Limitations, and Full of Traps'.

Bioware, I understand that you need money. The free to play restriction is fine but having people pay for story content is just an insult. What you do to your fanbase will reflect. I'm sure you have seen a massive drop in the population. If you think what you're doing is right, keep on doing it and more subscribers will leave.

Sure you say you are listening but it should already be common sense. Subscribers doesn't want to pay stuff for the content they deserve. SWTOR is a great game but your business methods are degrading and people will not wonder if a year or two, the game will suddenly die.

To subscribers, please speak up. If you love SWTOR and doesn't like what they're doing, do something. If unsubbing will be the things that will make Bioware wake up, do it. After all, this is your game, this is our game. We pay the devs to deliver content. We are subscribing because we want our content.

As for the free-to-play route, I still don't think it's free-to-play. The way free-to-play is set is like a demo. There's no way the game is free-to-play due to the restriction. Subscribers should get the content 100% free, not including expansion packs.