Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ChuangTzu's Avatar


ChuangTzu
06.27.2013 , 03:26 PM | #461
Quote: Originally Posted by DeadEyeTucker View Post
If they added a FP to the CM with exact same gear as the current FP's, why would anyone buy it? They'd have to make it faster to complete, drop more gear, etc. for it to be worth buying. But, for example if the FP dropped 3x as much gear as the normal ones, people could gear faster. Even though it's the same gear as what's currently available through normal means, this would allow you to pay money and get gear at a rate beyond what is feasible for non-CM means, therefore making it 'pay 2 win.' Therefore I don't think BW is going to be adding such things to CM.
Lets hope they have given up on putting anything other than fluff in the CM. what I want to know is when we will start seeing the 'love' for subs that they promised after the 2.1 patch debacle?
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

SithEmpress's Avatar


SithEmpress
06.27.2013 , 04:49 PM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Lets hope they have given up on putting anything other than fluff in the CM. what I want to know is when we will start seeing the 'love' for subs that they promised after the 2.1 patch debacle?
I too remeber them saying that, I think a loyalty program would be nice if they actual make nice rewards in it.

TheNevet's Avatar


TheNevet
06.27.2013 , 05:05 PM | #463
Well, that's the last straw. I will never, ever buy another product associated in any way with Electronic Arts (I'll steal it instead). I encourage you all to do the same.
The Cheng Legacy - Level 50 | The Ebon Hawk
Nim-lo - 55 Shadow DPS | Jao-xun - 55 Guardian Tank | Vost'ryk'ereth - 50 Mercenary DPS
Mei-li - 55 Sage Healer | Lominos - 50 Commando Healer | Qing-jao - 50 Sorcerer DPS
Drenkor - 55 Sentinel DPS | Destruktus - 55 Juggernaut Tank | Gigolo - 50 Scoundrel DPS

caronome's Avatar


caronome
06.27.2013 , 05:19 PM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEmpress View Post
I too remeber them saying that, I think a loyalty program would be nice if they actual make nice rewards in it.
When they announced them it was that around the fourth of July, subscribers will receive a benefit exclusive to them, and then another at the end of July.

I have not heard anything about the schedule changing.

zzoorrzz's Avatar


zzoorrzz
06.27.2013 , 05:26 PM | #465
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
One thing I did want to clarify. The Encrypted Datcubes that were in the last pack were a part of a series. The rest of that series will be in the next pack that is released, so you will see one more round of the Datacubes. However, we do not plan to make them and place them in other packs in the future. You just have one more pack of what we had already created. I just didn't want you guys to be concerned when you saw a few more of them in the next pack.

Thanks!

-eric
lol.

thx for your concern though.

Damask_Rose's Avatar


Damask_Rose
06.27.2013 , 06:58 PM | #466
Quote: Originally Posted by DeadEyeTucker View Post
If they added a FP to the CM with exact same gear as the current FP's, why would anyone buy it? They'd have to make it faster to complete, drop more gear, etc. for it to be worth buying. But, for example if the FP dropped 3x as much gear as the normal ones, people could gear faster. Even though it's the same gear as what's currently available through normal means, this would allow you to pay money and get gear at a rate beyond what is feasible for non-CM means, therefore making it 'pay 2 win.' Therefore I don't think BW is going to be adding such things to CM.
Your assumption is that people only do FPs for gearing up and not for the fun of them. I expect there are people out there who would enjoy a new FP because it was new and different and not be put off because it didn't provide a gear advantage over other FP.

Sohaim's Avatar


Sohaim
06.27.2013 , 07:50 PM | #467
Quote: Originally Posted by DeadEyeTucker View Post
That is purely speculative. There was more than enough time between RotHC and now for them to create that.

And as far as 'on the same level as Companion quests?' Ya, the bottom most level. I love talking to my companions, but when the quest to talk to them is nothing more than like 5 lines of dialogue from them and I have no response, it's a bit underwhelming. Actually, some might argue that the datacube scenes are less than the bottom level of a comp quest because it's not personal.
and that does not worry you that they would make story just for packs? and honestly i dont think that was made after the "expansion", seriously just no, i think they are yes on the same level as some companion quests, and sure as hell i do not want to see that kind of companion quest on the CM, because to me its heavy lore and its content, if you put all the cubes, it is Relevant story(lets call that the Shrouds personal datalog), and when i compare they to the companions quests, i mean that its someone giving you insigh on some story or their personal view on something, i just hope it NEVER happens again.

Sohaim's Avatar


Sohaim
06.27.2013 , 07:54 PM | #468
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
One thing I did want to clarify. The Encrypted Datcubes that were in the last pack were a part of a series. The rest of that series will be in the next pack that is released, so you will see one more round of the Datacubes. However, we do not plan to make them and place them in other packs in the future. You just have one more pack of what we had already created. I just didn't want you guys to be concerned when you saw a few more of them in the next pack.

Thanks!

-eric
what? i was under the impression that you guys would simple get them into the game by other means, i guess that in the end, i feel that they dont really care about us, if they did, this would be reversed and those cubes would find their way into the game and not cartel packs.

powpows's Avatar


powpows
06.27.2013 , 09:24 PM | #469
Quote: Originally Posted by Sohaim View Post
what? i was under the impression that you guys would simple get them into the game by other means, i guess that in the end, i feel that they dont really care about us, if they did, this would be reversed and those cubes would find their way into the game and not cartel packs.
There is no reason they have to be released in cartel packs again, assuming they don't want them to be. We sure don't.

I am starting to feel like a battered wife, coming back after he promises he wont hit me any more. You know, until next time that is.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
06.27.2013 , 11:22 PM | #470
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No where. Subs aren't paying 15 dollars a month for access to stories in books/comic series. They're paying for access to story content in the game.
Well some people want to point out that:
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
The significance doesn't matter at all. Why do people keep saying it's not important? We don't care, not even the most marginal part of the story should be on CM.
My question is the same, why is the "most marginal part of the story" more important than the parts of the story that set up the reasons for our quests and adventures in the first place? What makes the CM so much different than a bookstore or comic shop? Because it's IN the game? A retailer is a retailer. Access to most is just a click of a browser away. It's a pretty weak argument.
Quote:
And by Eric's post, they either changed their mind as to the CM being cosmetic to non-gameplay impacting, or they just consider the story a waste of time now.
I'll bet it's the later. The little bit of fun they had in doing them is FAR overshadowed by this over-reactionary response. We are effectively the mean old neighbor lady who keeps any toy that happens to land in her yard. Eventually, the kids just stop playing so they don't lose any more of their toys.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sohaim View Post
what? that makes no sense, why are you bringing comics into this? the Shroud is related to our characters, and its part of Makeb story, as far as i know the story here centers of 8 classes, so why we would not get story that's related to them? your argument makes no sense, the Comic talk about other stories no? with other protagonist no? or do they have the Jedi Knight, Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Agent in it?
They are stories of the characters we interact with. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, T7-O1, Darth Angral, Revan, the Sith Emperor, Lord Scourge, Darth Marr, Jace Malcom, Darth Baras, Bounty hunter Braden, Jedi Master Orgus Din, Darth Thanaton, Jedi Master Syo Bakarn, Jedi Master Bela Kiwiiks, Jedi Master Jaric Kaedan, and many of our support characters. These datacubes offer no interaction, they are just some guy who is narrating background information. The books and comics also narrate background information about the people and events that we have to react to in our storylines. So how does it not makes sense? You should probably read up on those on Wookieepedia. That is why I provided the links for you to look at and see how they affect our story.

Quote: Originally Posted by powpows View Post
There is no reason they have to be released in cartel packs again, assuming they don't want them to be. We sure don't.

I am starting to feel like a battered wife, coming back after he promises he wont hit me any more. You know, until next time that is.
Then I have to ask what are your qualifications that lead you to this conclusion?
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson