Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
06.27.2013 , 09:45 AM | #451
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Good to hear you guys are listening.

If only you'd do that about PvP :<
Geezus...be careful what you wish for. They admit trying to sell story content in the store because it wasn't "P2W", just wait until they sell WZ's in the store and claim the same thing. Their claim that the CM would try to be "cosmetic" only is obviously over...I'm just waiting to see what the next "test" is...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

Kilora
06.27.2013 , 09:46 AM | #452
Quote: Originally Posted by curtkram View Post
and bioware is hoping that you get the message they're sending you.

which is obviously that they want new content to be released through the cartel market, preferably through gambling packs so a single purchase within the monthly allotment limits may not be enough. for whatever reason, there are apparently no longer enough subscribers to keep the lights on and servers running at bioware.
Really? Because I don't seem them sending that message.

I see them saying, "We really don't know where the line is. We will push you and push you until you hit the line and attack us. We want to make as much money as possible, but we also don't want to piss off the majority of players who want the game to succeed."

This was the perfect example. 4 little cubes that are the equivalent of a lore item. Something that small received MASSIVE backlash. I doubt we will see them add something like a full questline, FP, WZ, OP or such into the CM. Especially after this.

TUXs
06.27.2013 , 09:47 AM | #453
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaing View Post
Key words are "not gameplay impacting" and "(avoiding pay-to-win, etc.)". Eric said those things, and the Eric gets to define them. We could apply what we think those phrases mean, but that ultimately isn't our call to make.

Here's my fear: a new flashpoint, that offers the same gear as other existing flashpoints, may not be considered "gameplay impacting" by the devs.

So a new flashpoint could be offered on the Cartel Market, random packs or straight-up purchase. Anything gotten from that flashpoint can be gotten from another flashpoint, so it's not pay-to-win and it may not be "gameplay impacting".

The new flashpoint may have a new story, but this whole occurrence has just prooved that "story" is now considered something that can be put on the Cartel Market.

If "story" is just considered fluff (since it doesn't affect gameplay), what's to stop future flashpoints or class/companion stories from being Cartel Market exclusive?

I could see there being an issue with Operations because Operations have lockouts and an extra operation would mean more opportunity for gear beyond the TfB/S&V weekly lockouts.

These are just my concerns since all we have to go on are phrases which are open to interpretation. Seems like many people assume that <what is said> means what they want. The past has taught us that with this game (and really whenever dealing with a business) always find the interpretation that lets the business do the least amount of work for the most amount of your money.
Exactly what I was think'in.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

TUXs
06.27.2013 , 09:50 AM | #454
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post

I see them saying, "We really don't know where the line is. We will push you and push you until you hit the line and attack us. We want to make as much money as possible, but we also don't want to piss off the majority of players who want the game to succeed."

This was the perfect example. 4 little cubes that are the equivalent of a lore item. Something that small received MASSIVE backlash. I doubt we will see them add something like a full questline, FP, WZ, OP or such into the CM. Especially after this.
Yeah, no. That's not what I hear...I hear "We'll push you and push you and then cross the line, vow not to do it again, but we'll cross another soon after. The human memory is short and we're banking on that".

SilentKitty
06.27.2013 , 10:03 AM | #455
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
That's too bad. Was hoping that this would be a way to get more companion interaction into the game. Just have a feeling that that was the only way to get new content at a somewhat decent pace. Between waiting five year for a update or more frequent ones in packs I would happily go with the packs. It is very nice to know that a sub gets everything. If subbing will get me the content that I wish to see anytime soon is another question. Very sad to see that this way of adding content is removed.

curtkram
06.27.2013 , 11:56 AM | #456
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post

i'm not so sure you're aware of their development schedule, so i'm going to go ahead and put it here so you can see what they've done since f2p. you may notice that content gets a bit slim as we get closer to present day. while the release of cartel market updates tends to become a bit less frequent, they don't go away like content does.
Spoiler

feel free to repost that.

they know where the line is. jeff hickman said here:
http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731
Quote:
Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.
they just don't care anymore. i really don't think they're concerned about pissing off the majority of their players either. they still haven't explained why their server transfers ignore long-time players, ignore NA-EU transfer, and ignore legacies.

EricMusco
06.27.2013 , 01:55 PM | #457 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
One thing I did want to clarify. The Encrypted Datcubes that were in the last pack were a part of a series. The rest of that series will be in the next pack that is released, so you will see one more round of the Datacubes. However, we do not plan to make them and place them in other packs in the future. You just have one more pack of what we had already created. I just didn't want you guys to be concerned when you saw a few more of them in the next pack.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthTHC
06.27.2013 , 01:58 PM | #458
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Yeah, no. That's not what I hear...I hear "We'll push you and push you and then cross the line, vow not to do it again, but we'll cross another soon after. The human memory is short and we're banking on that".
That's almost exactly how I read Eric's post.

ChuangTzu
06.27.2013 , 02:43 PM | #459
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.
ROFL!

I don't even know where to start with this garbage response.

Do I expect to get stuff for free? No, I pay a sub. I expect to get new content included in that, expansion are an exception. I would not mind if the sub went up a little due to inflation, all things do.

Business have to make money. Duh, that why I pay them a subscription.

You can buy them cheap off the GTN! Yeah but someone still has to buy them with CC so it give them impression that ppl are willing to pay for them. Story content should be included in the price of our sub, expansions are a different matter.

Because of ppl like me ppl like you miss out! Because of ppl like me you won't have to buy story content on the CM. Well atleast not for a little while longer anyway.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

DeadEyeTucker
06.27.2013 , 02:49 PM | #460
If they added a FP to the CM with exact same gear as the current FP's, why would anyone buy it? They'd have to make it faster to complete, drop more gear, etc. for it to be worth buying. But, for example if the FP dropped 3x as much gear as the normal ones, people could gear faster. Even though it's the same gear as what's currently available through normal means, this would allow you to pay money and get gear at a rate beyond what is feasible for non-CM means, therefore making it 'pay 2 win.' Therefore I don't think BW is going to be adding such things to CM.