Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
06.26.2013 , 10:56 PM | #431
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Well, there you go. The Devs had a little bit of fun and we got pissed off about it. Rain on their parade. Well I'm glad to have this and that there will be no more content, backstory or otherwise that woun't be a part of an expansion.

YAY us.



Like I've asked before (which no one can seem to reasonably answer), what about the books and comic series? That is game pertinent story, where does that fit into the scheme of things?
No where. Subs aren't paying 15 dollars a month for access to stories in books/comic series. They're paying for access to story content in the game.

And by Eric's post, they either changed their mind as to the CM being cosmetic to non-gameplay impacting, or they just consider the story a waste of time now.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

MonBrav's Avatar


MonBrav
06.26.2013 , 11:03 PM | #432
Let's get real here,

Having seen the series of clips, there's nothing here too interesting or significant to the bigger picture. It's just like, an easter egg.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
06.26.2013 , 11:05 PM | #433
Quote: Originally Posted by MonBrav View Post
Let's get real here,

Having seen the series of clips, there's nothing here too interesting or significant to the bigger picture. It's just like, an easter egg.
An easter egg they could've put into the game free for subs (or everyone) since it dealt with the story.

I find it amazing how forum posters where saying TOR is the best because of the story aspect compared to other MMOs and now seem to say "Eh, story means nothing."
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithEmpress's Avatar


SithEmpress
06.26.2013 , 11:14 PM | #434
Wow a complete honest answer, that nice, but the fact that this was even done is awful. At least they've confirmed it now, nothing beyond endgame gear is safe form the CM, after all the entire phrase “gameplay impacting” could be applied to almost every other aspect of the game. That has me very worried and they wonder why sub are starting to feel like they’re getting the short end of the stick.

What even sadder is the fact that some people are still defending this by saying it wasn’t much. It was a test; they outright said they are trying to see what they can get away with selling. If we hadn’t spoken out, they would be selling more story content to us. Thankful some of us did and that why as a community we have to be on our feet, make it clear that CM need stick to cosmetic items.

Anyways I’m happy they heard us, but it shouldn’t have been a hard call nor did it need to even happen. They need to start getting feedback (survey or something) before they do these things, as it just angers the players base and gives the game bad PR.

jamesvasquez's Avatar


jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 11:30 PM | #435
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
I appreciate the response, Eric. I'm not terribly happy that it was an attempt to see if story content could be sent through the Cartel Market. Hopefully, the response deters the team from future endeavors in this avenue.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
06.26.2013 , 11:52 PM | #436
Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvasquez View Post
I appreciate the response, Eric. I'm not terribly happy that it was an attempt to see if story content could be sent through the Cartel Market. Hopefully, the response deters the team from future endeavors in this avenue.
And now we'll see if we even get more story content period :/

For all we know this could mean, "if we can't sell it in the CM, it's not worth making outside of an expansion"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
06.27.2013 , 12:09 AM | #437
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
So you want to pay for content on top of your sub?
As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.

SithEmpress's Avatar


SithEmpress
06.27.2013 , 12:38 AM | #438
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
And now we'll see if we even get more story content period :/

For all we know this could mean, "if we can't sell it in the CM, it's not worth making outside of an expansion"
Then our game in a lot more trouble then it appears, as other F2P games mange to have shops and still give out basic thing like quests without putting them into gamble bags. Yes I known the cubes weren't a quest, but they are story content and could have easily been added to the game for subs in a fun little quest chain. The pack would still have sold great since they had over half a dozen neat items in them.

I’m not against them making money or the CM. I’ve spent a lot in it, particular the collection system. I just think they could give a few more things in the game or have the choice to get it in game. Like Life Days, all my other games mange to actual do an in game event while selling fun things in there store. Here all we could do was buy items, I just feel it gives the game a bad imagine.

Sohaim's Avatar


Sohaim
06.27.2013 , 01:12 AM | #439
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.
yeah, keep going, when they start putting Companion and other story heavy quests on Packs, you will see what we are talking about, and please enough with the "cubes are not important etc etc etc", if you dont like story or does not care, thats you, a lot of people got sucked into the game with the promise of "Story" and the CM came promising only "comestic", we all know how that ended right? lv 10 Color crytals, Space ship parts grade 7 and now its story content? i dont care if youre unable to see that those 9 Cubes are obviously a small quest chain that was removed from the game to be placed on the CM, but stop claiming that the Shroud personal datalog is nothing, because its on the same level as Companion quests.
oh and btw your logic is flawed, why pay subs to keep playing old content? i dont play MMOs a lot, but aint that their promise? keep subed and they keep delivering content? your whole argument makes no sense, were subbed just to not have F2P restrictions lol?

Sohaim's Avatar


Sohaim
06.27.2013 , 01:20 AM | #440
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Well, there you go. The Devs had a little bit of fun and we got pissed off about it. Rain on their parade. Well I'm glad to have this and that there will be no more content, backstory or otherwise that woun't be a part of an expansion.

YAY us.



Like I've asked before (which no one can seem to reasonably answer), what about the books and comic series? That is game pertinent story, where does that fit into the scheme of things?
what? that makes no sense, why are you bringing comics into this? the Shourd is related to our characters, and its part of makeb story, as far as i know the story here centers of 8 classes, so why we would not get story thats related to them? your argument makes no sense, the Comic talk about other stories no? with other protagonist no? or do they have the Jedi Knight,Consular,Smuggler,Trooper, Sith Warrior,Inquisitor,Bounty Hunter and Agent in it?