Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JimG
06.26.2013 , 02:08 PM | #401
Still don't see what the big deal is here. A few cutscenes which feature no actual playable content and which people can purchase off the GTN fairly cheap for credits? Frankly, the cutscenes themselves aren't even particularly interesting. Charging for story content? Earth to self-appointed community watchdogs....was ROTHC free? They've already charged for additional story content. So charging for additional content has already been done and is on the table for any future content.

ChuangTzu
06.26.2013 , 02:27 PM | #402
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
Ah, so really what your saying is that your are looking for ways to charge us extra for story content but this method did not work son you will look for other ways to do so.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

ChuangTzu
06.26.2013 , 02:35 PM | #403
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You can't rip a player off with anything in the CM.

Purchase is at the choice and discretion of the player and the player should review and decide if the purchase has value to them or not. Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase CM content.

And believe it or not.. you cannot protect players from themselves where poor judgment is concerned.

I do not subscribe to the "helicopter mom" theory about Bioware needing to protect the players from themselves.

Now.. if you want to complain that Bioware is "teasing" players with eye candy in the CM... OK... fair point... but again... players cannot be protected from their own impulses to chase the tease.
Ha! This was a test to see if they could get away with charging subs extra for story content, ok in this case it was minor but as Eric said they where testing the waters. If no one had objected what would have the next step been? More companion stories via the CM? Then more quests like the seeker droids, leading upto charging individually for every new FP, OP and WZ! This really shows BW's true colours.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Andryah
06.26.2013 , 02:39 PM | #404
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Ha! This was a test to see if they could get away with charging subs extra for story content, ok in this case it was minor but as Eric said they where testing the waters. If no one had objected what would have the next step been? More companion stories via the CM? Then more quests like the seeker droids, leading upto charging individually for every new FP, OP and WZ! This really shows BW's true colours.
A random item, available in random packs is not a test to charge for story content. Not even you believe that. You just need it to perform your strawman attempt above.

Actual story content for sale in the CM directly... THAT would be a test to charge for story content.

Datacubes were just a gimmick to eat up a rare item slot in random packs. There is no consensus as to if they were clever gimmicks or just gimmicks. Personally, I see them as novel gimmicks, designed to attract the easily duped to chase them on the faux-pretense that they were epic story arcs in a can. They certainly were novel in the way they got the chimps worked up about faux-bananas though.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

chuixupu
06.26.2013 , 02:41 PM | #405
It's always about supply and demand, that's no secret, and that is how all companies operate.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

iamthehoyden
06.26.2013 , 02:46 PM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
A random item, available in random packs is not a test to charge for story content.
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game.
Um...that's exactly what it was. There's obviously a lot of argument over whether this was something of importance -people have different opinions - but by their own admission they were trying to find out if they could put story content on the CM.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Aries_cz
06.26.2013 , 02:48 PM | #407
I am glad for dev response.
I do understand that this was an experiment, but given how many people (admittedly, including myself) got worried what this might mean (larger story being CM-exclusive (or, even worse, Cartel Pack exclusive)), I am glad you guys decided to drop this idea.

To people claiming "you gen get it on GTN" - Yes, but that still needed someone to get it from a randomized Pack
To people claiming "you pay for expansions" - You paid comparatively much less for much larger content. RotHC costs 10 USD, that is 1050 Cartel coins, which is three packs, which is not enough to even get all the cubes, assuming you are extremely lucky and get one unique in each pack (very unlikely, I bought 4 packs, got nada)
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Skaol-dirtyd
06.26.2013 , 03:13 PM | #408
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

The Best Player Reward Program! That is how it is done right!

Caelrie
06.26.2013 , 03:18 PM | #409
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
And you guys doubted me :9

ChuangTzu
06.26.2013 , 03:19 PM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Um...that's exactly what it was. There's obviously a lot of argument over whether this was something of importance -people have different opinions - but by their own admission they were trying to find out if they could put story content on the CM.
Exactly. Andryah has her rose tinted glasses on still.