Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GhostShaman
06.26.2013 , 11:52 AM | #391
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
Im glad you realize that this was a ***** move. However, I am getting tired of if things constantly getting pushed to the CM. This trend has to stop or Im not going to last much longer. I do not care if EA wants the ROI that bad, find another way to do it.
Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally

Iggster
06.26.2013 , 12:04 PM | #392
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
If Bioware considered packs a good way to bring us some more story content. Then I have to admit that this has me a bit worried regarding the future of the CM and what we'll see on it.

These data cubes really should have been something that you could pick up from seeker droids.

SweetsPatogga
06.26.2013 , 12:07 PM | #393
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
Are there any plans to add a replacement reward for the credit boom, something that level 55 players could actually use? Bound XP boosts are not useful to a level 55 player. Since you guys removed something I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to come up with an appropriate replacement that end game players would find useful.

chuixupu
06.26.2013 , 12:33 PM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
If Bioware considered packs a good way to bring us some more story content. Then I have to admit that this has me a bit worried regarding the future of the CM and what we'll see on it.

These data cubes really should have been something that you could pick up from seeker droids.
Like I said before, when I talked to Damion Schubert in person, he was adamant that they would never put any story content on the CM that wasn't just a short exposition and never anything impacting with the major plot or characters, so I never had a fear of them putting things like character story arcs on it (unless, of course, the people actually started clamoring for it).. The fact that they have consistently listened to feedback about the things they put on it does the opposite of get me worried. Clearly this did not increase pack sales or make anyone happy, so it's done.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Andryah
06.26.2013 , 12:38 PM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Like I said before, when I talked to Damion Schubert in person, he was adamant that they would never put any story content on the CM that wasn't just a short exposition and never anything impacting with the major plot or characters, so I never had a fear of them putting things like character story arcs on it (unless, of course, the people actually started clamoring for it).. The fact that they have consistently listened to feedback about the things they put on it does the opposite of get me worried. Clearly this did not increase pack sales or make anyone happy, so it's done.
/Agree

The datacubes were a gimmick at best, and forum flame bait at no extra charge.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

chuixupu
06.26.2013 , 12:47 PM | #397
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Stop implementing things just to rip off your players. Focus your resources on implementing some long-promised features like chat bubbles and many others instead!
lol

coming soon, chat bubbles unlocks in the cartel packs!
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Andryah
06.26.2013 , 12:50 PM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
lol

coming soon, chat bubbles unlocks in the cartel packs!
LOL..... that was like flashing a laser pen at a kitty right there. I'm grabbing some popcorn.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Andryah
06.26.2013 , 12:54 PM | #399
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Stop implementing things just to rip off your players.
You can't rip a player off with anything in the CM.

Purchase is at the choice and discretion of the player and the player should review and decide if the purchase has value to them or not. Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase CM content.

And believe it or not.. you cannot protect players from themselves where poor judgment is concerned.

I do not subscribe to the "helicopter mom" theory about Bioware needing to protect the players from themselves.

Now.. if you want to complain that Bioware is "teasing" players with eye candy in the CM... OK... fair point... but again... players cannot be protected from their own impulses to chase the tease.

TUXs
06.26.2013 , 01:29 PM | #400
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game.
-eric
Another avenue to add story content?! It's not like you guys have exhausted the whole "quest" idea yet...ouch Eric...a lotta people play FOR the stories...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)