Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mike_Bluesky
06.26.2013 , 09:20 AM | #371
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Again, that was a response to another post. Please see the previous post for context. The argument was made that backstory was as important as gear, that being the case, the argument is not flawed.

As for content (my whole argument is that backstory is NOT content), respond to my previous post:

It is all pertinent backstory to the game and is available to those who want to spend money on it.
Backstory is content if it's part of the game.
I don't have friends but I really want those pets -> referral link (you get free stuff too!)

Thylbanus
06.26.2013 , 09:31 AM | #372
Quote: Originally Posted by Mike_Bluesky View Post
Seems like we're talking about different things. Cubes contain lore content which is not accessible without CM involvement. That should never happened. We can argue about GTN (which relies on players and also should not be place for lore stuff in the beginning). We already discussed YouTube and other sources - you can read/watch whole story of every class there. That is simply not the point of this discussion. This is about what BW is trying to do or test here - shards of story on CM.

If it's not a problem for you - ok. But it is for me and a bunch of other people who believe all lore in this game should be accessible by normal means.
And you missed my argument that there is lore that is available outside the game that is more pertinent than the lore provided by the cubes. They are the books: SWTOR: Fatal Alliance, SWTOR: Deceived, SWTOR: Revan, SWTOR: Annihilation, the comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns. No one seems to want to answer this example. What makes the information provided by the cubes different, or more important, than the lore provided by these other sources? Because it comes on the CM?

OK BioWare, stop giving out these bits of lore and start charging for them out on the open market via your shop. Still make them, but charge for them, not on the CM, but the SWTOR shop
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Thylbanus
06.26.2013 , 09:33 AM | #373
Backstory is content if it's part of the game.
Then back to my previous argument with another, gear is part of the game.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 09:33 AM | #374
And you missed my argument that there is lore that is available outside the game that is more pertinent than the lore provided by the cubes. They are the books: SWTOR: Fatal Alliance, SWTOR: Deceived, SWTOR: Revan, SWTOR: Annihilation, the comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns. No one seems to want to answer this example. What makes the information provided by the cubes different, or more important, than the lore provided by these other sources? Because it comes on the CM?

OK BioWare, stop giving out these bits of lore and start charging for them out on the open market via your shop. Still make them, but charge for them, not on the CM, but the SWTOR shop
What makes it significant is in-game vs. other media sources. In-game lore should not be charged for, with the exception of an expansion. I hope this addresses your question satisfactorily enough.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 09:35 AM | #375
Then back to my previous argument with another, gear is part of the game.
Gear is cosmetic. The gear needed for the game can be found in the game. If you want to wear something specific, you can find it through the CM. This is still a completely separate issue from lore being on the Cartel Market.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

Thylbanus
06.26.2013 , 09:38 AM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvasquez View Post
What makes it significant is in-game vs. other media sources. In-game lore should not be charged for, with the exception of an expansion. I hope this addresses your question satisfactorily enough.
Well then look at it as a micro-expansion.

Gear is cosmetic. The gear needed for the game can be found in the game. If you want to wear something specific, you can find it through the CM. This is still a completely separate issue from lore being on the Cartel Market.
Well I have a response for that since the gear is not a problem:
If it's not a problem for you - ok. But it is for me and a bunch of other people who believe all lore in this game should be accessible by normal means.
This same argument was used by others who were unhappy with the other aspects of the Cartel Market, including the gear.

jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 09:42 AM | #377
Well then look at it as a micro-expansion.
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? That makes absolutely no sense. There's not enough content there to be considered any type of expansion. It should just be either in-game or nonexistent.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

Thylbanus
06.26.2013 , 09:47 AM | #378
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? That makes absolutely no sense. There's not enough content there to be considered any type of expansion. It should just be either in-game or nonexistent.
No, I'm just pointing out, as you just did, how insignificant it is. Especially that this has been going on for 378 posts. So who is arguing just to argue?

If I were just tring to argue, I would have said:

Quote:
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. - Obi-wan Kenobi

jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 09:49 AM | #379
No, I'm just pointing out, as you just did, how insignificant it is. Especially that this has been going on for 378 posts. So who is arguing just to argue?

If I were just tring to argue, I would have said:
It's been going on for this many pages because there shouldn't be any amount of lore on the CM. It doesn't matter how much it is. What matters is that it is there and it shouldn't be.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

Mike_Bluesky
06.26.2013 , 09:54 AM | #380
And we're still waiting for official statement on this.
I don't have friends but I really want those pets -> referral link (you get free stuff too!)