Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
06.22.2013 , 10:29 AM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Well we have 4 lvl 55 FPs, while actually we really need only 1 for gearing. Why not put the other 3 on CM if we can watch them on youtube anyway
Ok, what does a little bit of background story content has to do with gear? Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game? Did that little bit of story help you win a PvP match? Did that little bit of story tear apart your guild with drama?
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
06.22.2013 , 10:31 AM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
It's polite to answer the PMs/emails/whatever. Ignoring people sends a message "you're so insignificant that it's not worth a few secs of my time to type a reply", even if it should be only a reply saying why they can't answer or that the answer was already posted somewhere else.
Maybe that is the exact message they are trying to send.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.22.2013 , 02:51 PM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by jamesvasquez View Post
And honestly what do you even care? Other than for the sake of attempting to convince me that I'm wrong, you're right, and there's no way anything can be looked at from a different perspective?
Don't try to turn this into some petty you-vs-me adversarial drama.

I care because you were vague about what you wanted for a response AND you made a point of stating you have sent multiple PMs and received no response... and then editorialized that a lack of response did not look good to you. This implies you do have expectations about the response. And you gave zero insight as to what you PMed....so there is little to go on here...other then your dissatisfaction that you have not yet received a personal response.

Hopefully, you were polite, objective, and constructive...in which case you will likely receive a response (though it may not be what you want). Thing is... all we have to go on is heresay from you....and none of us actually knows since it was your PM.

As for.....do they understand the concerns expressed...pretty sure they do. Does that mean they are going to change course? Totally depends on if they agree with your concerns. Probably not. Just because a few of you are bent about it.. does not mean it is not working as intended.

If you expect them to drop everything and go patch the datacubes back out of the game...I think you overestimate your power over the direction the state of the game.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

zzoorrzz's Avatar


zzoorrzz
06.22.2013 , 02:56 PM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Ok, what does a little bit of background story content has to do with gear? Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game? Did that little bit of story help you win a PvP match? Did that little bit of story tear apart your guild with drama?
The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts fo the game.

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
06.22.2013 , 04:11 PM | #355
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts of the game.
Then don't use an example citing gear as comparable to storyline (really, back story. Something that is done in EVERY media). If you want to make a comparison, I'd like to point out that there is gear available to you in the game, and gear you can purchase (or win, a la Cartel Packs). So if gear and story are on an even ground, you just made an argument to include MORE story items on the CM.

So to my point, what about all the history leading up to SWTOR? Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?

Had this not even been posted or discussed, you would be clueless to it's existence. Much as with many things surrounding Star Wars universe and this game in particular. I'm sure that Wookieepedia must also be off limits, since you can find out anything about the Star Wars universe you like.

Honestly, complaining that it costs you money (it doesn't. You can buy them off the GTN) is really just silly. The argument is quite thin. This can be related to those who have the Security Key and Collector's Edition vendor access. The fact is, if you pay, you get more. Plain and simple.

The back story has nothing to do with the progress of the game and it's story. Many people who don't know about this will go on without it and still enjoy the game. It does nothing but add a little contrived background, narrated by a character that wasn't once encountered before 2.0. It would be Deux Ex Machina, but he really doesn't DO anything. The material is quaint, but ultimately useless (hence me asking "Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game?" It doesn't.).
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
06.22.2013 , 05:35 PM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
*snip*
So to my point, what about all the history leading up to SWTOR? Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?
*snip*
Comics/books are not in game content. This whole argument is about that story that is IN GAME should not be part of CM.
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

zzoorrzz's Avatar


zzoorrzz
06.23.2013 , 02:38 AM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Then don't use an example citing gear as comparable to storyline (really, back story. Something that is done in EVERY media). If you want to make a comparison, I'd like to point out that there is gear available to you in the game, and gear you can purchase (or win, a la Cartel Packs). So if gear and story are on an even ground, you just made an argument to include MORE story items on the CM.

So to my point, what about all the history leading up to SWTOR? Is Master Gnost-Dural's account of things supposed to be an in-game subject? I mean, it's on YouTube and the website, after all. It's part of the story of SWTOR. Is that a problem, too? You aren't experiencing it in-game. How is this different? How about SWTOR: Fatal Alliance? SWTOR: Deceived? SWTOR: Revan? SWTOR: Annihilation? The comic book series: SWTOR: The Threat of Peace, SWTOR: The Blood of the Empire, and SWTOR: The Lost Suns? They all cost money. Should we be getting these in the mail or email as part of our SWTOR experience?

Had this not even been posted or discussed, you would be clueless to it's existence. Much as with many things surrounding Star Wars universe and this game in particular. I'm sure that Wookieepedia must also be off limits, since you can find out anything about the Star Wars universe you like.

Honestly, complaining that it costs you money (it doesn't. You can buy them off the GTN) is really just silly. The argument is quite thin. This can be related to those who have the Security Key and Collector's Edition vendor access. The fact is, if you pay, you get more. Plain and simple.

The back story has nothing to do with the progress of the game and it's story. Many people who don't know about this will go on without it and still enjoy the game. It does nothing but add a little contrived background, narrated by a character that wasn't once encountered before 2.0. It would be Deux Ex Machina, but he really doesn't DO anything. The material is quaint, but ultimately useless (hence me asking "Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game?" It doesn't.).
If they created a new FP, named the unlock "datacube" and put it in the new cartel pack, I wouldn't be aware of it either unless I noticed it here on the forums. I would still be enjoying the game and if I bought it later from GTN, it wouldn't give me any advantage in the game either. Which means I don't quite get your point.

jamesvasquez's Avatar


jamesvasquez
06.23.2013 , 08:05 AM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Don't try to turn this into some petty you-vs-me adversarial drama.

I care because you were vague about what you wanted for a response AND you made a point of stating you have sent multiple PMs and received no response... and then editorialized that a lack of response did not look good to you. This implies you do have expectations about the response. And you gave zero insight as to what you PMed....so there is little to go on here...other then your dissatisfaction that you have not yet received a personal response.

Hopefully, you were polite, objective, and constructive...in which case you will likely receive a response (though it may not be what you want). Thing is... all we have to go on is heresay from you....and none of us actually knows since it was your PM.

As for.....do they understand the concerns expressed...pretty sure they do. Does that mean they are going to change course? Totally depends on if they agree with your concerns. Probably not. Just because a few of you are bent about it.. does not mean it is not working as intended.

If you expect them to drop everything and go patch the datacubes back out of the game...I think you overestimate your power over the direction the state of the game.
I'm not turning it into anything. You can't be subtly aggressive and expect silence. I don't play subtle games. What I expect is a response of any kind. And of course I was courteous. Here's what I said "I know you're busy answering many questions, but when you get a chance could you please get back to us on the forums about our datacube concerns. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear from you soon. Take care." Why would I send a rude message and expect a response? Addressing your point about whether or not they hear our concerns, how am I supposed to know that without them acknowledging it? Am I supposed to take your word for it?
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

jamesvasquez's Avatar


jamesvasquez
06.23.2013 , 09:40 AM | #359
It's not like I'm going to bash them for giving me a response I don't want. I can deal with them choosing to continue with the datacubes in the next cartel pack. What I don't like is that these admins are supposed to address players' concerns. That is their whole job. They are middle men between us and the devs. If they aren't doing that, they aren't doing their jobs. Jobs that my sub helps pay for.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

Thylbanus's Avatar


Thylbanus
06.23.2013 , 10:41 AM | #360
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Comics/books are not in game content. This whole argument is about that story that is IN GAME should not be part of CM.
I was having a discussion with someone else who claimed that the whole point of playing was for the story content and that it was a bunch of bull that some background story is only available through the Cartel Market. My point was that all those works are backstory and fit the same criteria (s)he cited.

Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
If they created a new FP, named the unlock "datacube" and put it in the new cartel pack, I wouldn't be aware of it either unless I noticed it here on the forums. I would still be enjoying the game and if I bought it later from GTN, it wouldn't give me any advantage in the game either. Which means I don't quite get your point.
Our exchanges so far:
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Personally, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like it's important story content. If you find that it is important, just do a search on the internet, there are HUNDREDS of videos with all the story content for the encrypted datacubes, or just visit one of the fan sites that summarizes all of it. I look at it as if I were going to receive one of the mission "rewards" like the credit boon, it's cool to get thrown a bone with some background stuff that really isn't all that important.
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Well we have 4 lvl 55 FPs, while actually we really need only 1 for gearing. Why not put the other 3 on CM if we can watch them on youtube anyway
You said you need it for gear, the others are extraneous. You seem to imply that I'm being silly in some way. The follow-up seems to indicate this.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Ok, what does a little bit of background story content has to do with gear? Does the story content give you any sort of advantage in the game? Did that little bit of story help you win a PvP match? Did that little bit of story tear apart your guild with drama?
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
The thing is, for some people the purpose of playing is learning the story of this era, not winning matches or grinding gear. I think they should be treated equally to those who prefer the latter parts of the game.
I was pointing out that it is unimportant that it is being sold on the CM. If you didn't know about it, it wouldn't affect your ability to play the game. There is no advantage with this knowledge. If the knowledge is important to you, but you don't want to spend the money to get access, YouTube and Wookieepedia are viable options. Backstory is constantly being sold under other media. What is wrong with it being given out as a bonus to pack awards that already exist (credit boon and xp/valor boosts)?
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson