Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow tanking Mandalorian Raiders HM

masstan
06.11.2013 , 09:07 AM | #1
I would very much appreciate the help of some seasoned shadow/assassin tanks. Depending on the group, I sometimes have trouble tanking the final boss and the two turrets he activates. How to keep the aggro of all three? Thanks

Kitru
06.11.2013 , 09:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by masstan View Post
I would very much appreciate the help of some seasoned shadow/assassin tanks. Depending on the group, I sometimes have trouble tanking the final boss and the two turrets he activates. How to keep the aggro of all three? Thanks
Whenever you use Force Breach or Slow Time, make sure you're targeting Mavrix: it'll tag both of the turrets. You can deal a bit of damage to Mavrix without screwing things up (as long as not *everyone* is going nuts with AoEs) and not using FB and ST is going to utterly destroy your threat generation. Just swap back to a turret whenever you're going to use your single target attacks.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Whojoo
06.11.2013 , 09:29 AM | #3
My experience is SM only, but I read a guide about that boss. The following tactic is something I would do.
Basicly ignore Mavrix once the turrets are active. Everyone needs to ignore him. Damage him to much and he will jump t the next corner and buff the turrets from last corner.

This leaves only the turrets. I'd say create a rule with the group. As in, when watching from the middle to the boss, always take the left turret first. If your dps are following this rule, then you'll have one less to worry about.

I would use force pull on the other turret to prevent it from attacking the healer and focus on the other turret with the dps. You're shadow so your threat generation is great, whihc means you will get the attention from the turret the dps are focusing on. If the other turret is attacking the healer, throw a taunt at it.
Eventually focus on the other turret and then back to Mavrix.

If your dps ignore the rule about which turret to focus on, then make sure at least one turret attacks you. This will relieve some stress from the healer. If you have a few seconds, type in chat that the dps have to focus on the same turret.

Haven't got tank experience on HM manda yet so something I would do is all I can give. Hope it helps a bit.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Imperia

masstan
06.11.2013 , 09:36 AM | #4
Excellent tips! Yes, I believe that the reason I sometimes still run into problems here is that I try to avoid using FB and ST so as not to do too much damage to the boss and get that awful debuff. Merely retaunting the off-turret does the trick only for a while. But as I said, it really depends on the team. Thanks again

bsbrad
06.11.2013 , 10:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
Basicly ignore Mavrix once the turrets are active. Everyone needs to ignore him. Damage him to much and he will jump t the next corner and buff the turrets from last corner..
Excellent advice, this is basically what we do, tell the DPS to always take the closest turret and the tank just need to use a threat building ability, force pull, slow time, etc... on the far turret and single taunt the other turret of the DPS if a DPS pulls it off you. For extra points you can tap Mavrix every now and again to stop the healer taking aggro, usually not needed as Mavrix hits with a nerf bat
N'abi
Begeren Colony
The answer is easy the question is not....oh who am I kidding!!!.

tehblade
06.11.2013 , 11:02 AM | #6
Agreed, a couple of your high threat abilities on the boss and you can ignore him. I'd suspect that if you can do it in some groups and not others that you're running into DPS that isn't playing nice. Even with 'sin/shadow excellent AOE threat it's really tough to deal with DPS not focusing one turret. I'd just make sure they all know what the plan is before going in and you can get agro on all three and then DPS the one they're on and guard the healer so he doesn't pull threat off you.
Wyldfyr | Peta | Johnny-Ringo | Ursha

Breitai
06.11.2013 , 04:34 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by masstan View Post
Everyone has had some great advice so far. But to be honest it sounds more like a group co-ordination problem to me rather than your tanking skills. Make sure the group doesn't use areas and focuses on the nearest turret first. Pop the near turret a couple of times yourself and that should keep it focused on you while the dps pounds on it as you do the same for the second one. With no areas being used by others you will easily keep the second turret and the boss on you with occasional areas from you to keep their focus as you go back to the first turret and tank it until it dies. Then the second turret and then chase the boss to the next corner. Make sure the group follows that pattern and you should do just fine.