Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Did Luke really force choke?


Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
12.25.2011 , 07:29 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Sintensity View Post
Did you come from WoW and did you play a Worgen?
No...why? Before you say anything, Shistavanens came long before WoW so don't give me that, WoW copied Star Wars if you ask me.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

ThreeToedSloth's Avatar


ThreeToedSloth
12.25.2011 , 09:47 AM | #42
I never thought of it as anything but a force choke.

You have to remember that much of the EU is devoted to Luke attempting to define the lines between Light and Dark. At this pont in the story he only knows that he can do these things, he is yet to discover that he shouldn't.
SWG refugee squatter

Sabster's Avatar


Sabster
12.25.2011 , 04:08 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by ThreeToedSloth View Post
I never thought of it as anything but a force choke.
He was pushing them back - using their throats to ensure they went backwards. But it wasn't a force choke, he never closes his hand.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.25.2011 , 09:27 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabster View Post
He was pushing them back - using their throats to ensure they went backwards. But it wasn't a force choke, he never closes his hand.
No, it was a force choke. Just not a deadly Force Choke and it wasn't meant to kill.


He disarmed the guards and confuzzled them.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.25.2011 , 10:27 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
No, it was a force choke. Just not a deadly Force Choke and it wasn't meant to kill.


He disarmed the guards and confuzzled them.
he very clearly kills the one as it struggles and then goes limp

NullanSevens's Avatar


NullanSevens
12.26.2011 , 12:04 AM | #46
Luke uses the Force to choke the Gamorreans. It's pretty clear that's what happens when 1) His hand is crooked as though he is choking someone. (2 The Gamorrean on camera goes limp. And 3) there are gagging noises coming from the Gamorrean.

It's also pretty false to say that Luke never struggled with the Dark Side. The whole point of the final showdown with Darth Vader was to test if Luke could tap into his passions to defeat his father. He even touches darkness when he's in a blind rage and is hacking away at Vader's lightsaber and eventually cuts off his hand.

What keeps Luke from falling is that he sees his own mechanical hand and realizes he's on the same path is father trod down.

Morticoccus's Avatar


Morticoccus
12.26.2011 , 03:09 AM | #47
As far as I remember (Having read the comic when it first came out, years ago) Luke did, at that point, know how to defend himself against force choke.

In the comic where he learns to do this it is implied that force choke is a very old technique, and that the defensive technique is therefore really hard to come by. However, since he knows how to defend against it it is very plausible that he also knows how to use force choke, or at least the basic principle.

With in-depth knowledge of the technique it is also plausible that he's able to use it to merely incapacitate instead of kill. If he just knows the basic principle instead he probably does use force choke, but can't use it with enough force to kill something with as tough a physiology as a Gammorean, and he therefore doesn't have to worry about killing the guards.

Either way, there's a plausible explanation. Which, by the way is the reason that particular comic was written, someone probably came up with the brilliant idea to ask "Why didn't Vader force grip Luke in any of their duels?"

Retcon HO!
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
12.26.2011 , 03:29 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Morticoccus View Post
As far as I remember (Having read the comic when it first came out, years ago) Luke did, at that point, know how to defend himself against force choke.

In the comic where he learns to do this it is implied that force choke is a very old technique, and that the defensive technique is therefore really hard to come by. However, since he knows how to defend against it it is very plausible that he also knows how to use force choke, or at least the basic principle.

With in-depth knowledge of the technique it is also plausible that he's able to use it to merely incapacitate instead of kill. If he just knows the basic principle instead he probably does use force choke, but can't use it with enough force to kill something with as tough a physiology as a Gammorean, and he therefore doesn't have to worry about killing the guards.

Either way, there's a plausible explanation. Which, by the way is the reason that particular comic was written, someone probably came up with the brilliant idea to ask "Why didn't Vader force grip Luke in any of their duels?"

Retcon HO!
Don't recall that comic but if it's old it's been ret-conned long ago. The technique for blocking force choke would be the same for blocking force push or most other force moves. Putting up an invisible barrier around yourself to block out the attacks.

phoenixds's Avatar


phoenixds
12.26.2011 , 03:30 AM | #49
I think it's pretty clear Luke did use Force Choke--to disable, not to kill. Could he have rendered the guards unconscious in another fashion? Probably, but in its own way, this was one of the less violent methods. The thing is, most techniques within the Force are dependent upon the user's mindset as to whether they're Light or Dark. If Luke had no malice or intent to kill, even if he used Force Choke, it's not Dark Side. Remember that he eventually learned to use Force Lightning (as had Plo Koon before him) as a Light Side technique.

Chassit's Avatar


Chassit
12.26.2011 , 03:38 AM | #50
Yes he does, you can clearly see one of them grabbing at its throat. Honestly though, I was more surprised to see Sylar "force choke" someone. Seriously though, Luke is certainly his father's son. **edit** He just made a better choice when it came down to it.
NFA

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too! You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through!