Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE Tanking build?

WildmanUK
12.21.2011 , 07:00 AM | #1
Hello,

I have been looking at the talent tree for Powertech and looking for a tanking build to work towards for lvl 50.

From the few i've seen plus my own experience with the class up to now, I was thinking of this build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

Would this be a pretty solid build for PVE tanking?

I was considering Neural Overload at one point but since a lot of units will be ranged anyway the movement speed decrease seems less useful and more a pvp talent.

Please leave any feedback and changes you might make?

WildmanUK

snowmon
12.21.2011 , 07:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by WildmanUK View Post
Hello,

I have been looking at the talent tree for Powertech and looking for a tanking build to work towards for lvl 50.

From the few i've seen plus my own experience with the class up to now, I was thinking of this build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMsbZb.1

Would this be a pretty solid build for PVE tanking?

I was considering Neural Overload at one point but since a lot of units will be ranged anyway the movement speed decrease seems less useful and more a pvp talent.

Please leave any feedback and changes you might make?

WildmanUK
dont change a thing, that build is fine.
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

Twelve
12.21.2011 , 07:22 AM | #3
This is pretty much my build exactly.

I'm curious about the threat on the surge dart (stun), and possibly taking that bottom talent in the AP tree for the extra ranged threat. Tanking flashpoints, i'm finding that I am using all my ranged threat abilities trying to maintain aggro on 4+ mobs because healing threat seems high...and DPS don't focus fire sometimes.

Atrophine
12.21.2011 , 03:42 PM | #4
would this be a good build for solo'ing as well? Or is going Pyro better for solo'ing??

badalchemist
12.21.2011 , 03:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Atrophine View Post
would this be a good build for solo'ing as well? Or is going Pyro better for solo'ing??
Pyro is more fun soloing, but as you get higher up in level, the mob packs start to become less of a pushover, and pyro starts to feel a little squishy IMO.

Twelve
12.21.2011 , 03:58 PM | #6
I solo a fair amount, and haven't had any issues with this build. I'd guess a DPS build would be a little better, but at level 37 I haven't yet encountered any problems solo. I can bring Mako for heals, but I generally run with Gault or Torian (both DPS) nowadays and don't even use the healer.

WildmanUK
12.23.2011 , 04:09 AM | #7
With the shield tech build decent-ish gear and mako with decent gear its pretty hard to die while questing.

At lvl 24 I have just short of 5k health and 40 damage reduction from armour.

I did a bit of PVP the other night and I am now thinking that I may pick up neural overload and then respec to the build I linked at 50, maybe drop a point in the rocket punch talent from pyro or the damage reduction talent in adv proto for now.

The ability to slow people down whenever ion cylinder procs would be invaluable in pv especially hutt-ball

On a side note grapple is very nice in hutt ball had a few times someone was about to score then I have grappled them into a flame-trap and electro darted.

WildmanUK