Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to gear up companion

Curmedy
06.09.2013 , 12:47 PM | #1
I'm a lvl 23 Shadow and my companion is qyzen-fess. I have gotten no gear for him up until this point and don't know where to start! If anyone could give me some advice it'd be greatly appreciated!

TheBBP
06.09.2013 , 12:57 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curmedy View Post
I'm a lvl 23 Shadow and my companion is qyzen-fess. I have gotten no gear for him up until this point and don't know where to start! If anyone could give me some advice it'd be greatly appreciated!
Get green or blue quality gear from the GTN. You can find some pretty decent stuff for good prices. Otherwise, equip what you can loot. Be mindful though, that if you are in a group, needing on loot for companions is frowned upon.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

SlightlySychotic
06.09.2013 , 01:11 PM | #3
For Qyzen, it's important to remember that he uses aim gear and not strength. It's an easy mistake to make since he, you know, hits people with a big sword. To find each companions primary and secondary stats, check their character entry on the Lore Page of your mission log.

Another thing to remember, your companions gain new abilities as you level up. Some of them need to be toggled on, however, so that they will use them in combat. You can do this by expanding their ability bar -- press the + sign on the bar or press the ` key -- and right clicking on any ability that does not have a green mark in the upper right corner.
Darth Sychotic: (Sith Juggernaut) "Whatever does not kill you has failed and must be made to pay egregiously for its error."
Kaz Keeno: (Scoundrel) "One day I hope we can just move on and put this whole 'trying-to-kill-me' nonsense behind us."

Darth_Wicked
06.09.2013 , 01:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Get green or blue quality gear from the GTN. You can find some pretty decent stuff for good prices. Otherwise, equip what you can loot. Be mindful though, that if you are in a group, needing on loot for companions is frowned upon.
The gear provided for companions by some of the mission rewards is good enough while leveling. No need to waste credits on GTN stuff.

swtonewbie
06.09.2013 , 02:06 PM | #5
It's possible that you have been getting gear but you just dont notice it. As someone mentioned he uses aim not strength, so maybe you are getting rid of quest rewards that give you heavy armor with aim? another possibility i can think of is you are skipping side missions, some of which may have had companion gear as a reward.

Personally i have been gearing up my comps with cybertech premium quality stuff and CM gear that i have in my collection. Most CM sets have 6 pieces with some of the older sets only having 5 pieces (as well as a high level requirement). But i've recently added the gold scalene set to my collection which is a full 7 piece set. I give my comps their first armoring at level 11, first mod at level 9 and first enhancement at level 11. From there i upgrade their armoring and mod at level 17 and every 4 levels after that at 21-25-29-33 and so on. I wear prototype armoring, mods and enhancements on my characters. I upgrade at 15-19-23-27 and so on at 4 level intervals. However i will take my new armoring and mods and just overwrite my old armoring and mods. BUT i take out my enhancements and give them to my comp, and then put my new enhancements in the empty slot on my armor.

Now if you are gearing up entirely through quests you could do something similar to what i did. Whenever a companion upgrade gets rewarded for completing a quest, i only take it if it has 15 or more endurance then the piece they are wearing. Otherwise i would just take the planetary comms as the reward.
I'm not really a noob...

MSchuyler
06.09.2013 , 04:35 PM | #6
Just FYI, I just got Ensign Temple, and she came pretty well geared up already--no complaints. I seem to be getting drops of reasonable green gear. I will be paying attention, but it looks like she'll be well taken care of for awhile.

chuixupu
06.09.2013 , 05:13 PM | #7
You can get gear for companions from the planetary com vendors if there aren't any more significant upgrades for you.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

AidanLightwalker
06.09.2013 , 05:25 PM | #8
A lot of people skip quests because they feel "they" are ready go move on. Remember that you are not only gearing up yourself but your companions as well. Extra quests give more loot and more comms. All of which can be not only useful to you but your companions as well.

One of the biggest mistakes I think Bioware made with this game is mixing up the stat systems. I believe they did this to help make gearing up your companions easier. If your character uses aim, they must have figured making all your companions use aim would be more helpful. But, not all the characters follow this system. Example: the knight's companions use a wide range of stats. But the trooper, well their companions use aim. Even the melee ones. Just doesn't make sense.

What ever you end up doing to gear up your companions, DO NOT NEED ON GEAR IN FLASHPOINTS for your companions. This will get you kicked out of flashpoints and groups so fast it isn't even funny. Just a FYI.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

branmakmuffin
06.09.2013 , 06:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AidanLightwalker View Post
Example: the knight's companions use a wide range of stats. But the trooper, well their companions use aim. Even the melee ones. Just doesn't make sense.
/tangent
Because they are not Force users. Would you prefer it if they used Cunning? Would it make a difference?

AidanLightwalker
06.09.2013 , 06:50 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
/tangent
Because they are not Force users. Would you prefer it if they used Cunning? Would it make a difference?
I know it was a sub rant lol

No, I would prefer companions that did melee damage, ie swords and pole arms to use str. Doesn't make much sense to have companions would do most of their damage with melee weapons use aim now does it??
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage