Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unsure what to make of this

06.05.2013 , 05:03 PM | #1
I'd like the opinion of you guys on something that just happened to me. Someone was asking for people to join their 16 member Scum and Villiany ops group. I told the guy that I'd never done the raid before but that I would heal if they were kind enough to explain it. He did a gear check and then invited me. I once again stated that I did not know the fights once I joined the ops group and even downloaded mumble specifically so that they could explain the fights to me. I wasn't the only person who didn't know the fights either.

We all zone in and wait for a few moments. Plenty of chatter on mumble, but no explanation about the first fight. We all go to the first boss and begin doing our thing under the shield and then we move to the next shield. During this transition, I notice some of the members becoming frantic at the speed we were moving, or specifically, not moving. We did however eventually move to the next shield.

Upon the shield becoming clickable, I (like an idiot) clicked it, not realizing that I was then required to move the group to the next location. As I had no idea what I was doing, I start to wander aimlessly and it becomes clear within seconds that I am not going the right way. I become more frantic as the abuse becomes much stronger (I'm also hearing it on mumble as well as reading it in chat) and this just makes it worse. The group wipes, one guy leaves and almost everyone continues hurling abuse at me, with "f****** idiot" being amongst the worst that I managed to catch, since the text was scrolling so fast.

I stayed briefly, long enough to explain that I did say I didn't know the fights but nobody saw it my way. I left, feeling pretty crap.

I've been in raids before where people were clueless, and made dumb mistakes that wiped the group, and have NEVER seen a reaction as bad as that. Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel sorry for someone doing a raid for the first time who got a reaction like that to an admittedly stupid mistake. Am I wrong to feel crap? Was it 100% my fault or am I justified in feeling hard done-by? I really don't know to be honest, so I am looking for honest opinions. But, it seems to me that if people react like this to dying in a game, they can't enjoy the game and then, really, why are they playing it? When did laughing off a mistake, followed by some guidance, become a thing of the past? Or, did I just get a really bad bunch?

06.05.2013 , 06:08 PM | #2
obviously the raid was justified after you wiped them because you didnt bother to look at your mini map, take direction, look out there for the next shield spot, or notice anything. It sounds like you tunnel visioned and panicked. Having not had anyone explain the fight to me my first time in there I figured it out simply by opening my eyes and looking around. It sounds like you need to improve your situational awareness.

06.05.2013 , 06:18 PM | #3
They made the mistake of not bothering to explain the fight to you, so they share a bit of the blame, but the fact that you *clicked the shield* without knowing *anything* about it places a majority of the blame on you. Seriously, if you don't know the content, don't touch anything unless people are explicitly telling you to click it. They were at fault for not telling you to *not* click it, but, honestly, not clicking stuff *shouldn't* be something that has to be explained.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

06.05.2013 , 06:32 PM | #4
All the pros and l33ts there should have made clear who was on shield duty. Raid leader failed to make that kind of thing to clear everybody. His fault. You made a mistake. So did they.

And no , the abusive jerks werent justified.

06.05.2013 , 07:56 PM | #5
Being a jerk is never justified. Had you been a pug in my guild doing S&V, we would certainly take the time to make sure you knew the fight. If you accidentally clicked on the shield, we might be a bit annoyed and tell you "um, dude, you weren't supposed to click on that" but we'd guide you in the direction you should run. The reason why these people were just calling out abuse is because they were completely out of control themselves and had no idea how to actually help you.

The only thing I'd ask for you, is did you ask the group what to do with the shield? Like "which direction? What am I looking for?"
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

06.06.2013 , 02:00 AM | #6
First, you have my sympathy for their abuse. That you were willing to download and install mumble for this raid, and able to successfully configure it, already puts you above about 80% of the pugs we encounter. That alone would warrant you some respect from our groups. And the fact they didn't even bother to review the basic mechanics I find to be completely unacceptable. What exactly is the point of inviting pugs to your VOIP if you aren't going to spend 30 seconds to explain how you expect the fight to go? This group really needed to add "please know fights" to their LFG message.

As others have said, you should be more cautious about clicking things in raids. Clicky things are very important mechanics in raids, and specific people are generally given the job of doing whatever is necessary there. So you can reasonably expect that if you are going to have to click on something at some point, the raid leader will tell you what it is and when. So even if you knew exactly what direction to run and what speed would make everyone happy (hah, gotcha, there is no such speed!), you would still be wrong to take the shield.

As a healer, there is usually very little for you to do but stick with the group (usually stand somewhere near where the ranged DPS go) and heal. But if a group is really not offering any mechanics, you can always ask "are there any burn/high aoe damage phases to worry about?" It is something that is important for you to know for managing energy and cooldowns, and should clue in a more experienced healer to give you some tips.

06.06.2013 , 02:48 AM | #7
The guy who invited you is clearly terrible. A gear check? Really?

Pretty sure the requirements for Scum and Villainy consists of a potato and a bit of string.

OT: PuG's gonna PuG.

Seriously tho, I don't know why upon seeing a shiny blue thing, people set upon it like wild animals. It's the same in every Operation PuG'd ever. Curiosity killed the cat, and that's why you died thinking the Ancient Knowledge on Voss was a Lore Object.

Not saying that everyone should know the content like the back of their hand, but it doesn't hurt you to take 2 minutes to check Dulfy (or TOR website of choice) for a strategy.

Moral of the story, join a guild.
The Progenitor - The Alteric Legacy - Kira-chan

06.06.2013 , 03:03 AM | #8
I'd say it was the reponsibility of the raid leader to instruct you on the mechanics and everything you have know to fullfill your role and than take the time to answer your questions. Your lead seems to have been incompetent and the group at least partly composed of representives of the ogogogo faction we all love so much.

The lead should keep the raid cool and focussed by giving short and clear commands and advising people to keep silence and only call out things that are relevant for the actual fight.

With a good lead and the right people in a raid group everyone will be civil and calm.
You'll have a good idea of the boss fight from the first explanation.
In fight experienced people will keep an eye on newbies and tell them when they are doing something wrong.
Nobody will be swearing and only call out things necessary.
If something still goes wrong and the raid wipes there will be a short analysis of what went wrong and how to do better.
A good lead will be able to keep up the motivation and keep down the mutter.
Corellianischer Sonnenregen @ Vanjervalis Chain
Silan und ... äh ... Kleinkram ... ich hasse twinken

06.06.2013 , 03:37 AM | #9
Don't worry. They were jerks, don't feel bad. It's absolutely not your fault. When we PuG people for 16-man ops, we never shout on them for doing something wrong once.

06.06.2013 , 04:00 AM | #10
Well, thank you to everyone who's replied. I'd just like to clarify that I know I'd made a mistake and I would have spammed the chat with apologies, had they given me the chance. I am actually already in a guild, but they're pretty small so not really able to do a 16 man op.

When I clicked it, I just thought it would "repower" the shield we were under, not that I'd become some mobile shield or something. Dumb mistake, one that I would have eventually liked to laugh at myself about and told others to give them a good laugh, but I won't be doing that now.

Thanks again to all the replies. Appreciate it.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
The only thing I'd ask for you, is did you ask the group what to do with the shield? Like "which direction? What am I looking for?"
I did ask "where should I go?" and someone shouted "NORTH", so I began moving north but it still didn't seem to be the correct way. I'm gonna check the fights on Dulfy now and see exactly where I should have gone because I'm genuinely curious.

EDIT: Wow, so, it seems that going North was exactly the wrong direction to go lol