Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on Set Bonus Drops in Operations

wainot-keel
06.06.2013 , 09:16 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Your solution is not that good, as it has plenty of space for abusing it.
For example, running also hm halves times required to complete that q, and gives alts that can be geared just by running them triugh 2 ops extra stuff, and that's entirely not point of this thread.
OP suggested 3 full clears of an operation to be granted 1 token. 55hms obviuosly dont count towards it. And such quest would be exclusive per toon, like they all them , so alts can't help.
Three full clears means 3 weeks. Guaranteeing one token after that do you really think is that much ?

Asavrede
06.06.2013 , 09:23 AM | #12
I dont see any reason they couldn't add just the set bonus armorings for a price on the PvE vendors - just like they did with campain for black hole comms before. For ~100 comms you can either get a full piece with no set bonus (like it is now) or the armoring only but with a set bonus. Seems fair to me

Saastapallo
06.06.2013 , 09:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
OP suggested 3 full clears of an operation to be granted 1 token. 55hms obviuosly dont count towards it. And such quest would be exclusive per toon, like they all them , so alts can't help.
Three full clears means 3 weeks. Guaranteeing one token after that do you really think is that much ?
But you could still take the mods from the Arkanian piece and send them to an alt via legacy gear. And you could speed up the process of gearing one character by running ops on multiple characters and then use the obtained tokens for only one char (again via legacy gear).

Not that it's not a good idea, I like it. Maybe make it 4 combined runs of TFB and SAV instead of 3 of a single one and you could take care of it in two weeks, which would net you setbonuses faster, but with still roughly the same amount of work (more, actually).

I have a huge dilemma with setbonuses myself, on my Sage. I'm playing both heal and dps pretty much on a 50/50 ratio, so you can imagine my frustration on acquiring two full setbonuses. I have a full 69 Black Market -healer set (not completely BiS though) and my dps-set is around half-way there. I have 0 Arkanian (or UW) set pieces, even when I have run both operations multiple times.

dscount
06.06.2013 , 09:33 AM | #14
Just some feedback on this thread.
  • NO the Set Bonus shouldn't be sold. (IMHO)
  • YES running on ALT's is a great way to get a single set of real gear.
  • Have you been running TC weekly? That drops random Set Bonus Gear most the time and it's an easy Boss.
  • 16 man, 16 man, 16 man runs. If you are not doing these I would highly suggest you do them. Ultimate comm's are worth the trip and chaos as well 2x the drops.
Sage/Sorc Gate 2013 Combat DEV LOL Responses:
"...you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you."
"...require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with."

wainot-keel
06.06.2013 , 10:03 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Saastapallo View Post
But you could still take the mods from the Arkanian piece and send them to an alt via legacy gear. And you could speed up the process of gearing one character by running ops on multiple characters and then use the obtained tokens for only one char (again via legacy gear).
oh, well... yeah, but you can already help gearing your "main" that way.

OP's point is about having an alternate way that does not rely on RNG. Obviously, the more alts you have, the better, just like for everything. But that doesn't change one bit the amount of work and hours you have to spend to succesfuly clear those operations.
And not everybody have multiple characters. Half the regular raiders in my guild play only one character and that's it.

Lowyjowylof
06.06.2013 , 11:30 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Elear View Post
Your solution is not that good, as it has plenty of space for abusing it.
For example, running also hm halves times required to complete that q, and gives alts that can be geared just by running them triugh 2 ops extra stuff, and that's entirely not point of this thread.

You have 3 pieces of set, run SaV, and lose roll on all 2 things that you want from whole ops. Yep, that hurts. But it's also part of life/game. By enabling players to get thsoe pieces trough alternate way, it really cheapens those pieces as reward.
On the other hand, I'm not sure if access to set bonus should be thing that is so hard to get.

If such quest were to ever appear, it should also require huge amount of comms(equal to weekly cap, or even greater)
You kind of misunderstood me, I think. Running HM would have an UW Piece. You would have to complete the Operation twice in order to qualify for the piece. So it would take 2 weeks minimum to get 1 piece. To slow people from abusing the system, you make it so the boss kills are counted, like the speeder quests. You could even tie TFB bosses to it as well. It's still a time sink, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
If people have the time to run alts through, more power to them. I have a life outside SW TOR and can usually only dedicate 2 maybe 3 evenings to game long enough to complete an Op in 1 sitting.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

Lowyjowylof
06.06.2013 , 11:37 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
Just some feedback on this thread.
  • NO the Set Bonus shouldn't be sold. (IMHO)
  • YES running on ALT's is a great way to get a single set of real gear.
  • Have you been running TC weekly? That drops random Set Bonus Gear most the time and it's an easy Boss.
  • 16 man, 16 man, 16 man runs. If you are not doing these I would highly suggest you do them. Ultimate comm's are worth the trip and chaos as well 2x the drops.
Yes, we do TC weekly and 16m more often than not, that's where I got my only piece of Arkanian...Other than that, I've seen the legs and gloves dropped there, which I lost the roll both times, plus the MH, which I bought a 30 barrel.
16 man (which we do about 50% of the time) might have twice the drop but it's also twice the people, so same percentage...
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

tortcat
06.06.2013 , 11:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Asavrede View Post
I dont see any reason they couldn't add just the set bonus armorings for a price on the PvE vendors - just like they did with campain for black hole comms before. For ~100 comms you can either get a full piece with no set bonus (like it is now) or the armoring only but with a set bonus. Seems fair to me
Agreed. Bioware already set the precedent for this before and you are spot on. I have a 2 set bonus currently and its just becoming boring running the same things over and over trying t o get a 4 set.

SgtKlavier
06.06.2013 , 12:04 PM | #19
I think it's interesting that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the difficulty of obtaining set bonus pieces, yet there are much less complaints raised about the availability of good enhancements. With 2.0, the game is structured so that set bonus pieces (and enhancements as well) are much more limited in distribution because they are simply that extra bonus that groups "need" to complete the hardest level of content. Previously, set bonuses were something everyone could get because of shells, but people could also get BiS gear without doing any operations. For whatever reason, the not having set bonuses seems to stand out to people more, I guess because it has a more significant impact in the changing of one piece of gear. Still, the set bonuses are not really necessary for anything, but that will most likely change with nightmare modes. However, if you're running with pugs or a random set in your operations each week, you are not likely to get far in nightmare, and thus have no "need" for set bonuses (given the right people it can be done, but I would have high doubts of it). As such, I would suggest getting a group together that raids consistently every week so that drops are distributed as equally as possible.

With that being said, I agree that it can quite frustrating to get drops given the fact that the set bonus pieces don't drop until the second or third boss in an operation. I wish there was a way around that, so that an incomplete operation would penalize a group as little as possible.

wainot-keel
06.06.2013 , 12:34 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowyjowylof View Post
You kind of misunderstood me, I think. Running HM would have an UW Piece. You would have to complete the Operation twice in order to qualify for the piece. So it would take 2 weeks minimum to get 1 piece. To slow people from abusing the system, you make it so the boss kills are counted, like the speeder quests. You could even tie TFB bosses to it as well. It's still a time sink, but at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
If people have the time to run alts through, more power to them. I have a life outside SW TOR and can usually only dedicate 2 maybe 3 evenings to game long enough to complete an Op in 1 sitting.
I was thinking something similar. For example, 3 full clears of TfB, you get to choose 1 token for either boots or head. 3 full clears of S&V for either gloves, chest or legs.
Hell, could even be one appropiate armoring for your AC, so the "but some people have many alts" thing wouldn't matter in the least. Even with such restriction things will be better than they are now.