Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Addons in Swtor

ScarletBlaze
06.03.2013 , 05:23 PM | #11
No please.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

DimmuJanKaarl
06.03.2013 , 05:38 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Puddjles View Post
If we can't get addons i'd be pretty damn happy with Macros

With a bit of knowledge you can do some handy dandy stuff with macros
Anyone remember afk farming in swg by making your character dance around? That was funny seeing ppl dancing then oh! need to dig! Then dance again. Yeah macros are great
**Von-Gorgoroth Legacy** [[Jedi Covenant]] LIVING LEGEND ||MASTER CRAFTSMAN|| //Founder// ::
Dimmu'jan-kaarl 55 Sentinel Jezethra 55 Gunslinger Gel'amina 55 Sage Lytherila 55 Vanguard
Melitina 55 Sniper Karintha 55 Sorcerer ma 55 Powertech

ELRunninW
06.03.2013 , 05:52 PM | #13
Most of addon requests would be for features that do not require you to run full game client to access, including but not limited to, class skills. I see no point in that, you either are playing the game or you are not playing the game. So it takes you longer to maximize your skills, and so it does for everyone else. That is seriously on the bottom of a pile of user requests.

Thaed
06.03.2013 , 06:05 PM | #14
One of the things Carbine is doing with WildStar is allowing addons from the get go. They had five within two hours of beta commencing, and they've expressed how happy they are with this. I know damage meters are in, as well as (I think) dual specs. They're currently trying to work out a way to reward players who's addons they'll inevitably integrate into the game.

Though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about people being against addons here.

Edit: Here's a quote from The Gaffer.

Quote:
Free add here into the "good" pile for mods from another perspective...

I've worked on a bunch of MMOs, and WildStar's the first one with a moddable UI. It's old news to the guys on the team who have worked on games with moddable UIs (we actually have the guys who did the bulk of the moddable UI work on WoW and EQ/EQ2 on the team, which helps). But there's something I didn't know about moddable UIs til this game (competitors, please stop reading here).

It turns out that the development pace picked up massively after the moddable UI was in and flexible. Why? Every feature team could suddenly start making their own UIs (instead of bottlenecking on the UI team, which is a common case in most development in my experience). More so, making a UI was so cheap teams could easily make multiple UIs to try out per system, or modify the UI rapidly making iteration much cheaper to do timewise.

Also we've been in beta for a grand total of what, 3 days? And users have already made multiple mods to tweak stuff. That's pretty awesome actually.

In fact, if there's an interesting question in the modding community, it's what is fair to UI modders in terms of their work entering the game? After all if we see something cool we're likely to incorporate it in the game. That's a combination of awesome (cool, you influenced a game in development! Bragging rights) and suck (er, a company effectively just boosted your work). Giving money is harder than you'd think (there are laws about minimum wage and benefits in the US that are pretty nuts to work with, never mind if the guy did the mod in another country) and credit only goes so far...though good modders do get hired into the industry all the time.

And a dev downside: Doing cool custom animated/fully integrated UI work is tougher. Either you do developer-only calls (something we actively avoid) or you have to limit yourself to certain artistic constraints to work within the moddable system...so doing animated craziness on every element gets more expensive (time wise).

Anyways, in retrospect of course the development benefits of UI modding during the prebeta process makes sense (I'll admit I wouldn't have guessed how effective it was actually)...so much so that I doubt I'd design an MMO from scratch in the future without incorporating modding early. Ton of work on Jon and the UI's team part to make it happen, but large payoffs; the dev pace probably doubled after the UI modding started being widely used on our teams.
Selkath.com: You'll never find a more pleasant hive of honey and friendship.

Darth_Moonshadow
06.03.2013 , 06:06 PM | #15
The only add on we need and one Bioware would probably approve of is a My Roleplay add on. It's easy to use and it doesn't turn good people into number jerkwads.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

vfrost
06.03.2013 , 07:26 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
No please.
Yes, and yes again.

vfrost
06.03.2013 , 07:27 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
The only add on we need and one Bioware would probably approve of is a My Roleplay add on. It's easy to use and it doesn't turn good people into number jerkwads.
not needed at all.

Thaed
06.03.2013 , 07:29 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by vfrost View Post
not needed at all.
I think we should also remove all quest indicators on the maps. Players should find the locations themselves based on directions given.
Selkath.com: You'll never find a more pleasant hive of honey and friendship.

Darth_Moonshadow
06.03.2013 , 07:35 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by vfrost View Post
not needed at all.
It is needed. The RP community has no place to record their character back stories. We need it to keep track of changes to our characters, update current information and have an indicator of who is a Roleplayer and who is not.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

vfrost
06.03.2013 , 07:37 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaed View Post
I think we should also remove all quest indicators on the maps. Players should find the locations themselves based on directions given.
looks like you miss something in quoted post.