Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Alacrity on tank gear is misguided


PlasmaJohn's Avatar


PlasmaJohn
06.03.2013 , 02:46 PM | #1
The 2.0 theory that "alacrity is useful for everybody" was taken a bit too much to heart by your equipment designers. Sure things execute slightly faster... but tanks need mitigation far more than they need attacks per minute.

Please update the comms vendor gear to replace alacrity with more mitigation, especially defense. And please do this for those pieces that drop, are bought with tokens and bought with comms. A back of the napkin estimate in this post (link) suggests that tanks have a roughly 7-8% chance of getting a usable drop from HM FP bosses. Tanks depend far more on buying gear with comms than everybody else.

#GCGankedMyMMO
unsubed 2017.03.05

Jaing's Avatar


Jaing
06.03.2013 , 02:58 PM | #2
/signed

I was hopeful for alacrity post 2.0, but it's just not worth it to stack enough alacrity to make a difference. It's a throwaway tertiary stat.
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Kelvarn's Avatar


Kelvarn
06.03.2013 , 03:24 PM | #3
I will say it's a decent idea, but definitely not worth it for tanks.
It takes away too much of the damage mitigation.
I like the idea behind it, but it reduces too much mitigation that is required.
I have to say alacrity needs to be removed from tank gear, and replaced with other things such as defense, shield rating, and maybe a little absorption rating.
"You do not make the weak man strong, by making the strong man weak." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"You make the weak man strong, by teaching them what strength really is." ~ Me

Themanthatisi's Avatar


Themanthatisi
06.03.2013 , 08:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelvarn View Post
I will say it's a decent idea, but definitely not worth it for tanks.
It takes away too much of the damage mitigation.
I like the idea behind it, but it reduces too much mitigation that is required.
I have to say alacrity needs to be removed from tank gear, and replaced with other things such as defense, shield rating, and maybe a little absorption rating.
I could not have said it better myself.. Fact is, they are ruining end game gearing for tanks with all the alacrity that they put on literally, everything.... Spending 1mil and up per mod on GTN, is definitely not desirable just to be able to get a useful stat, like defense. For gearing up, how else can you avoid the alacrity?

Thank you to the OP for making this post...
Click HERE for FREE stuff in SWTOR, including 7 free days as a subscriber. For more information, click HERE.

Kelvarn's Avatar


Kelvarn
06.03.2013 , 10:38 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
I could not have said it better myself.. Fact is, they are ruining end game gearing for tanks with all the alacrity that they put on literally, everything.... Spending 1mil and up per mod on GTN, is definitely not desirable just to be able to get a useful stat, like defense. For gearing up, how else can you avoid the alacrity?

Thank you to the OP for making this post...
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are ruining end game for tanks, but I do agree that it just strikes me as they aren't thinking things through.
Also, I avoid the GTN. People gouge the frak out of everyone.
"You do not make the weak man strong, by making the strong man weak." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"You make the weak man strong, by teaching them what strength really is." ~ Me

AggieElf's Avatar


AggieElf
06.04.2013 , 03:57 AM | #6
/signed

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
06.04.2013 , 11:26 AM | #7
I only use alacrity on healers and sorc/sage dps. It would be useful on my sniper, but it absolutely ruins series of shots, taking it from feeling like heavy fire to 'pew-pew.' For everything else, there are far more important things to build up than alacrity. Of course, until they let us turn off the full body circling red selection target for ranged attack and the green ground target for area attacks, I'm only playing melee, anyway. For me, irritation with pointless 'help' effects has grown to extreme to enjoy playing those classes.

Phyltr's Avatar


Phyltr
06.04.2013 , 11:28 AM | #8
You know that Alacrity (and Accuracy) are on gear purposefully to make that gear bad, so you have to mix and match your item modifications thus extending the gear progression. It makes the content live longer because it takes you longer to get an ideal gear set.

PlasmaJohn's Avatar


PlasmaJohn
06.04.2013 , 12:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyltr View Post
You know that Alacrity (and Accuracy) are on gear purposefully to make that gear bad, so you have to mix and match your item modifications thus extending the gear progression. It makes the content live longer because it takes you longer to get an ideal gear set.
Quite well indeed.

Tanks get the shaft twice in end-game gearing. First their drop rate in HM FP's is roughly estimated at 7-8% of getting a class and role appropriate piece while heals and dps have roughly a 18-19% chance. To add insult to injury it seems like the pieces you can buy with comms are also alacrity heavy meaning that "mix and match" may not be possible or very expensive wrt heals and dps. (NB. I have not reviewed the available pieces myself but am relying on what other posters have contributed).

If you look at it one way, you may conclude that this was done intentionally to keep tanks queuing. IMO that's a bit too subtle for EA. I'm more inclined to believe it's poorly thought out design. My hope is that they recognize the goof and help mitigate it some.

#GCGankedMyMMO
unsubed 2017.03.05

AggieElf's Avatar


AggieElf
06.04.2013 , 01:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyltr View Post
You know that Alacrity (and Accuracy) are on gear purposefully to make that gear bad, so you have to mix and match your item modifications thus extending the gear progression. It makes the content live longer because it takes you longer to get an ideal gear set.
I really hoped that wasn't the case, but I'm beginning to fear you are right.