Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My name was taken...

Lancars
06.03.2013 , 11:01 AM | #1
Which surprises me because i have never seen ANYONE ever use the name Lancars. I chose it a long time ago as my net name and now i come back to Swtor and find out someone used it for once. People say get over it but i can't help feel a bit robbed. Like minor identity theft.

Then when i ask about it why i had to change it goes into this big thing in general and people accuse me of being someone else that had the same issue. So its starting to feel extra painful to play my character since i feel robbed and spit on.

*I had to rename my trooper Langroth a fallback name for a dwarf i used in another MMO*

AlaricSevGirl
06.03.2013 , 11:03 AM | #2
Two of my names were taken, Ashan and Kensington so I just hyphenated a last name.
GSS Legacy, Jedi Covenant,
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

branmakmuffin
06.03.2013 , 11:03 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancars View Post
Which surprises me because i have never seen ANYONE ever use the name Lancars. I chose it a long time ago as my net name and now i come back to Swtor and find out someone used it for once. People say get over it but i can't help feel a bit robbed. Like minor identity theft.
It's not possible to "take" a name that is already is use.

TUXs
06.03.2013 , 11:06 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancars View Post

Then when i ask about it why i had to change it goes into this big thing in general and people accuse me of being someone else that had the same issue. So its starting to feel extra painful to play my character since i feel robbed and spit on.

*I had to rename my trooper Langroth a fallback name for a dwarf i used in another MMO*
/yawn...welcome to the club. Learn your alt codes and be happy you got names with actual letters.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

dscount
06.03.2013 , 11:07 AM | #5
Actually if said name was OFFLINE for a period of time and never transferred then yes it's actually possible to lose the name.

Several posts in forums lately of folks coming back well after server transfers to find they don't have the same name.
Reference Link: Why not? http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

PLynkes
06.03.2013 , 11:08 AM | #6
It isn't identity theft and you weren't robbed. It's just a name. You do not own those particular letters in that particular order. I lost use of a name I really liked way back in the day when they let us move from dead servers to slightly less dead servers. I got over it.

That is the only option, I'm afraid. Get over it.

TheBBP
06.03.2013 , 11:08 AM | #7
Most of us have lost our first-chosen names. Many of us had to rename several characters. I have an incredible lack of empathy for this issue.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

branmakmuffin
06.03.2013 , 11:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
Actually if said name was OFFLINE for a period of time and never transferred then yes it's actually possible to lose the name.

Several posts in forums lately of folks coming back well after server transfers to find they don't have the same name.
Server transfers are another matter entirely. No matter how active the characters are, if they have the same name and wind up on the same server, someone's going to be on the short end of the stick.

Lancars
06.03.2013 , 11:12 AM | #9
I like how half the people understand and the other half are the kind of jerks that would run into you while your standing there and tell YOU to watch where your going.

Capt_Beers
06.03.2013 , 11:13 AM | #10
When they did the server transfers some people lost their name because they transferred to a server that already had someone with their name.

BW came up with some ways to make this easier for people but there was bound to be some hurt feelings. One of the ways they did it was if they were two "Lancars" on the server the algorithm checked to see if they were both active. Since you said "came back to SWTOR" I'm guessing you were inactive so you lost the name. It think level and time played also came into account I'm not sure.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics