Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC Voice Actors, Male VS Female

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
PC Voice Actors, Male VS Female

Bytemite
06.04.2013 , 07:33 AM | #11
There's a period of time on most of the options where I feel like I have to adjust to the way the character sounds.

All of the jedi take some getting used to, and I can see how femtrooper could might take some time - and most people think of femshepard there too. But after a while I don't really prefer either and they seem to work.

Some do seem to fit a little better and it also depends on what the player is going for. Guy smuggler sounds more quiet and laid back than spunky girl smuggler, though it still works mostly. Male Sith Warrior hit it out of the park with snarky smug arrogance - privileged upper class of a competitive warrior society - while the female Sith warrior is better for her over the top bloodthirst. Both IAs seem to be excellent, and the female IA sounds exactly like I expected. Bounty Hunter is okay for both, though I can understand thinking the gravelly voice of the male is a little much, though it's not as bothersome as, say, gravel voice in the new Batman movies.

I do like female inquisitor better than male. The male inquisitor just sounds kinda weaselly to me at the moment, but maybe it'll grow on me.

zzoorrzz
06.04.2013 , 09:19 AM | #12
my preferences:

IA - male. female is close behind, but male is my main and I'm really used to it.
BH - male.
SW - male, don't like particularly any of them though.
SI - female.

smuggler - female.
trooper - female, close call.
JK - female.
JC - female.

krakadyla
06.05.2013 , 02:25 PM | #13
IA - male, great work. Absolutely cannot stand female voice, poison to ears.
BH - female; found male voice rather annoying, but not as insufferable as IA female.
SW - both great, although I prefer female, since she's more hammy and thus more fitting the storyline.
SI - both great, prefer male, because he sounded sarcastic and eye-rolly all the time.

JK - female, although not by a wide margin, both rather unremarkable.
Smuggler - female; although a bit too bubbly and girly for my tastes, still better than non-descript male's voice.
Trooper - male, very much. Female sounded exactly like Shepard.
JC -both...zzzZZZzz...whut? Oh, sorry, dozed off on a keyboard for some reason.

My favourite voice acting in the whole game would be a NPC, though - Watcher X from IA's story. I didn't even recognize Nicholas Boulton until I googled "Who is the awesome actor who did Watcher X", despite having heard him voicing the PC in Dragon Age 2 and random (and usually haughty) Sith in SWTOR itself.

Mekkanon
06.06.2013 , 02:11 AM | #14
I dont know why everyone snoozes on consulars!
Took a while to get it perfect, but the body type 4 miraluka just nailed it.
Full light, youre this beacon of serenity and thats what you sound like

OT
SW Male, although i would have prefered to have the BH male voice for my body type 3 marauder.
IA. Female. Phantom chestpiece and eradicator pants with dark make up. Combine it with the perfect voice to trick people into believing you and you got your perfect stealthy backstabbing but charming spy.
BH. Male> body type 3 full evil.
SI. Female. arrogant, snarky, pure evil, and when she says: Good, bring on the murder it just gets me

JK. Neither. Im a full dark body type 3 knight. Yet i sound like i just attended my first year of prep school.. Terrible.
JC. Male. The calmness its epic. The most believable force persuasion in game. The only person who could make this better would have been Liam Neeson.
Trooper: Male. No matter the voice, romancing jorgan would literally make me puke
Havnt played smuggler.

zzoorrzz
06.06.2013 , 02:13 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Mekkanon View Post
I dont know why everyone snoozes on consulars!
Took a while to get it perfect, but the body type 4 miraluka just nailed it.
Full light, youre this beacon of serenity and thats what you sound like

OT
SW Male, although i would have prefered to have the BH male voice for my body type 3 marauder.
IA. Female. Phantom chestpiece and eradicator pants with dark make up. Combine it with the perfect voice to trick people into believing you and you got your perfect stealthy backstabbing but charming spy.
BH. Male> body type 3 full evil.
SI. Female. arrogant, snarky, pure evil, and when she says: Good, bring on the murder it just gets me

JK. Neither. Im a full dark body type 3 knight. Yet i sound like i just attended my first year of prep school.. Terrible.
JC. Male. The calmness its epic. The most believable force persuasion in game. The only person who could make this better would have been Liam Neeson.
Trooper: Male. No matter the voice, romancing jorgan would literally make me puke
Havnt played smuggler.
I fully agree man, I have her too!

GraceandDanger
06.06.2013 , 10:58 AM | #16
IA - Female. Jo Wyatt was great in DA2 and she's great here. Male isn't bad though, just very low-key, which fits the class I guess.
BH - I really like both but I'll give the slight edge to the male, it just fits a bounty hunter.
SW - Again, I like both but I'll give the edge to the female. Very sultry.
SI - Female, she has the perfect mix of sarcasm and craziness in the voice. It really gives you the impression that the character isn't all there.

JK - Female. I leveled a DS guardian to 50 and I'm currently leveling a LS sentinel and I noticed her voice rather comes alive during DS choices, it has the perfect amount of malice in it. The male voice put me to sleep, which is weird because it's Snake.
Smuggler - Female by far. Overall, I think it was the best set of voice-acting in the game. She delivered pretty much all of her lines with the right amount of snark you'd expect of the smuggler's character.
Trooper - Both. I love Jennifer Hale to bits but the male voice is growing on me as I level a commando.
JC - Female. I play mine LS with a bit of a snippy side and the female VA does that pretty well. The male voice is kinda just there.
It's victory or nothing!

JacenHallis
06.06.2013 , 06:00 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Actually, I'll admit that the male consular voice grew on me...after a very long time.
After making the connection myself, I don't mind the male consular voice so much. After all, my Shadow is played by SUPERMAN.

As for myself, my picks are as follows:
Agent: Female.
BH: I like them both about the same, actually.
Warrior: male. I play Light, and I tend not to go for hammy in general. The Warrior's got a bit more subtlety in the performance
Inquisitor: female.
Knight: female. I dig Snake's voice. This may be Snake's voice actor, but it's not Snake's voice. And that voice wouldn't have fit anyway.
Consular: Both are all right. Neither is really great, I think. But that may be because I don't play traditional Jedi.
Smuggler: male. He's got the right amount of snark and suave in there.
Trooper: Female. It was the same in Mass Effect, too. Though I have to admit that Hale's voice works great with a body type 3 (which my commando is), whereas the male's doesn't. I think when I make my Vanguard, he'll be a BT2.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Jandi
06.06.2013 , 07:54 PM | #18
Female. All of them.

I don't know what it is about BW games, but the female VO always, in every game, sounds more believable and more fitting to the things they are directed to say. I think it's because all the male VO always sound so fake-tough guy. Maybe it's because I grew up with actual tough guys and tough guys do not spout nonsense like what they are saying in games and the tone of voice just doesn't fit the script in so many places.

Voices like Talos, Doc, Quinn, Lokin, Guss and Gault are awesome but, for example, Scourge sounds completely out of place and just dumb. Vik has no personality whatsoever. Aric has the same tone of voice no matter what he says. Pierce is trying too hard and that BH dude, Torian? Ugh... just ugh.

They just sound so... B movie, you know?

E: I know this thread is about PC voices but I just wanted to point out that it's not just PC voices that sound out of place and weird but rather, that it's a constant with BW games.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

jaguarclaw
06.06.2013 , 08:03 PM | #19
JC: Both are bad, really. I guess female? It's a choice between Nolan North sounding as stuck-up as possible or a lobotomy patient.
JK: Male by a hair. SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
Trooper: Female by a hair. Sorry, Varric.
Smuggler: Male. Voice fits perfectly.

SW: Male. Female sounds too old.
BH: Female, male voice sounds like he gargles with nails and Gusano Rojo every 20 minutes.
IA: Tie. Bertie Carvel and Jo Wyatt are both amazing.
SI: Male.

Slowpokeking
06.06.2013 , 08:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Female. All of them.

I don't know what it is about BW games, but the female VO always, in every game, sounds more believable and more fitting to the things they are directed to say. I think it's because all the male VO always sound so fake-tough guy. Maybe it's because I grew up with actual tough guys and tough guys do not spout nonsense like what they are saying in games and the tone of voice just doesn't fit the script in so many places.

Voices like Talos, Doc, Quinn, Lokin, Guss and Gault are awesome but, for example, Scourge sounds completely out of place and just dumb. Vik has no personality whatsoever. Aric has the same tone of voice no matter what he says. Pierce is trying too hard and that BH dude, Torian? Ugh... just ugh.

They just sound so... B movie, you know?

E: I know this thread is about PC voices but I just wanted to point out that it's not just PC voices that sound out of place and weird but rather, that it's a constant with BW games.
Torian was voiced by Adam, the power ranger.