Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.2 Tank Builds

Septarra
08.01.2013 , 11:08 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
Using Old TFB Data (not NiM) i get 63% weapon/kinetic, 29% tech/kinetic, and 8% tech/internal

this gives the following BiS estimates:

Shadow:
Defense 200
Shield 1056
Absorb 1319

Jugg:
Defense 947
Shield 860
Absorb 887

Powertech:
Defense 371
Shield 1356
Absorb 966
Am I reading this right? So going into say NiM/HM TfB, as a PT/Vanguard you want to strip defense down to a minimum?

Yngow
08.01.2013 , 11:32 AM | #92
Pretty much for every class due to the dmg profile on the bosses, but being a pt/vang def is the least valuable defensive stat anyway
Empire/Republic of TAW - Prophecy of the Five
Illyan - Powertech ; Lellian - Jedi Sentinel ; Le'lian - Scoundrel ; L'aayla - Sith Juggernaut ; Harrden - Commando ; Lellyana - Sith Sorcerer ; Viagro - Sniper ; Lelsara - Jedi Shadow

Kitru
08.01.2013 , 11:56 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Yngow View Post
Pretty much for every class due to the dmg profile on the bosses, but being a pt/vang def is the least valuable defensive stat anyway
Actually, for the HM incoming damage ratios, Defense was the most valuable tanking stat for VGs by a large margin. Shadows were the ones that didn't care all that much about Defense.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Septarra
08.01.2013 , 12:16 PM | #94
Hmmmm... So another mixed bag of answers. Hearing from quite a few sources that Defense isn't worth stacking again, stick to Shield/Absorb. Never sure what to believe though.

dipstik
08.01.2013 , 12:26 PM | #95
the numbers are not in for either NiM, so unless they have the data and have done the calcs, no one knows how to gear for nim.

assuming HM damage weights carry into nim, you want more defense in SnV than you do in TFB.

there are arguments that you should gear for the tank checks... problem is, i think each of the tank types have different checks. for a shdown, titan might be a tank check, whereas for a jugg, the terror might be the tank check... or even operator.

since 2.0 we have been using SnV hard mode damage weights to calculate best in slot. this seems reasonable since thrasher had the highest damage of all the bosses in 55 hard modes. if we find there is some new super high damage boss trhat beats thrasher, then we might want to gear for that operation (using damage weights between bosses etc). some people even go so far as to have different gear sets for different bosses.

long story short: defense seems much better for snv than tfb.

Yngow
08.02.2013 , 10:53 AM | #96
You will definitely get mixed answers when asking this kind of stuff because it involves a lot of personal play style, what this thread gives you is the build which would provide the most mitigation overall, or would make you take less dmg, it doesn't necessarily means it is the *better* choice. Also those number are all for S&V HM and on average, not for a specific encounter.
Every boss will have a slightly different dmg profile which would favor one type of gear or another, and also some people like to gear more towards a dmg profile rather than for less dmg taken, which means even though defense heavy build would provide you less dmg taken overall some people go with heavy shield/absorb to be as less spiky as possible, even if they take more dmg by doing that.
It is very inviable to have a different gear set for each boss, but I really like to have a selection of different relics and swap accordingly to each boss fight (in my case it's shield amplification and fortunate redoubt).

I also strongly recommend that you talk to your healers, their inputs are really good for gearing your tank, some healers have no problem with spikiness and prefer if you take less dmg overall, some healers are the opposite and prefer to keep a certain amount of healing on you all the time instead having to give heavy bursts from time to time
Illyan - Powertech ; Lellian - Jedi Sentinel ; Le'lian - Scoundrel ; L'aayla - Sith Juggernaut ; Harrden - Commando ; Lellyana - Sith Sorcerer ; Viagro - Sniper ; Lelsara - Jedi Shadow

Berjiz
08.02.2013 , 02:47 PM | #97
It is very inviable to have a different gear set for each boss, but I really like to have a selection of different relics and swap accordingly to each boss fight (in my case it's shield amplification and fortunate redoubt).
I think a collection of all bosses with their dmg types and attacks togheter with tips and tricks would be very useful. Is there any collection like that somewhere?

Yngow
08.02.2013 , 03:35 PM | #98
KN posted all the dmg profiles for HM S&V and pretty sure he did the same with HM TFB, the same data is also on dipstik's thread about BIS equipment on 2.2: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645948

As for what to do with the data, I recommend one of the two: You can use www.tor-tank.com which is a tool designed to follow KN's numbers, but on advanced options you can change the dmg ratios and get an optimization for a specific situation, also you can use redclaw's spreadsheet for all tanks: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=660767
Never really tried this one, but it seems to be very good for that purpose.

Kitru
08.02.2013 , 03:44 PM | #99
Never really tried this one, but it seems to be very good for that purpose.
It's still got a fair share of screwed up numbers. The added up values on Guardians are kind of correct, but the contributions are screwed up (it's got 5% from Soresu and 4% from Guardian Slash), and it's still missing the 5% acc debuff. The values for Shadows are inflated by 5% on Shield (it's saying 20% from stance instead of 15%) and it doesn't include the acc debuff either. It's good for VGs though.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

dipstik
08.06.2013 , 11:51 AM | #100
updated OP for double proc relics. on use shield is good for tank swap/ bursty fights.

and i want to plug tor-tank.com. advanced options for damage weights and shield ratio (a static number or am check bos to not change shield would be ncie).