Weapon's special effects disappear after using certain actions/skills

Alduinsm

Gray Helix Lightsaber: the saber becomes shorter and loses its special effect (basically become a normal lightsaber) after i use these skills: Introspection, Twin Saber Throw, Crippling Throw, Dispatch , Saber Throw,Guardian Leap . The same things happen to others sabers that has special effect like Tythonian Force-Master's Lightsaber.

It also occurs after looting while holding the saber/gun/assault canon (not sure about this as i notice it only happens sometimes).

The skills above are skills that sentinel/guardian use very often in a fight , usually right at the start with skill like Saber Throw.

Steps to Reproduce:

1/ Use a Jedi Guardian that has Saber Throw skill and equipping Gray Helix Lightsaber.

2/ Press Unsheathe Weapon button.

3/ Use Saber Throw on any mob or use Introspection. (you should see the lightsaber changes after this)

Edited by Alduinsm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
This issue continues to be ignored and it annoys me every time I am in combat. When I use vicious throw or saber throw on my juggernaut, the lightsaber animation disappears on the gray helix and is replaced with only a normal lightsaber look for the duration of combat. It's easily noticeable at that when fighting. Is it so hard to fix this simple issue? I believe the twin saber throw skill for marauders affects the gray helix as well. I like the gray helix sabers, they're unique compared to other sabers in the game, and yet I can't fully enjoy them with this annoying small bug. Bioware please take a moment out of your time to look into this issue, thanks. Edited by MasterofChaos

• Dev Post

Hi there MasterofChaos,

We have seen some reports via /bug (maybe even yours!) of this and we're still investigating. Thanks for the report!

For anyone who has this happen to them when using the Gray Helix Lightsaber, can you please be sure to post which abilities (such as above), but also which Color Crystal and mods you have equipped?

:ph_cheers:

Edited by AmberGreen

This happens with all lightsabers that have effects.

Also its not just saber throws that cause it because it happens to my sage with the tythonian saber. She certainly isn't throwing her saber anywhere.

I tested the gray helix saber without mods and no crystal, got the bug result. Tried with varied mods and crystals, didn't make a difference. The bug has to be associated with the class skills I stated above. Edited by MasterofChaos

This happens with all lightsabers that have effects.

Also its not just saber throws that cause it because it happens to my sage with the tythonian saber. She certainly isn't throwing her saber anywhere.

All of this.

I too have reported bugs on this subject. Detailed reports with examples.

Pretty much any ability animation that uses the saber in some way that is not swinging it will break the effect. Throwing the saber, temporarily putting it away to cast something. Even abilities like Guardian Leap revert sabers to default effect.

It feels like the intricate animation implementations involve taking away the saber, using a default/fake saber during the scripted animation, and then returning the saber. The "returning the saber" part does not take saber effects into account. Most likely because it was written before saber effects existed.

PS: If it wasn't clear, this also affects the cartel coin sabers. Feel free to use the Cartel Market sledgehammer to get this bug fixed.

Edited by shadowflit

I've reported this in /bug a couple times. I can reliably reproduce the issue on my Seer Sage by doing either of the following:

Casting Forcequake during battle.

Looting an enemy corpse during battle.

Both of these actions cause the Lightsaber to disappear and then re-appear after the action has been taken. When the lightsaber comes back out, it has a normal blade instead of the special one. Additionally the lights on the hilt stop blinking.

It doesn't matter what color crystal I have in the blade, but I normally use Cyan.

I've also seen the issue on my Sentinel when using Dual Saber Throw.

The bug has to be associated with the class skills I stated above.

fairly certain that's what it is.

double strike with the cathar warstaff on a shadow looks and sounds like a lightsaber. there are a few other attacks like this as well, such as shadow strike, spinning strike, and clairvoyant strike.

i think saber strike and whirling blow are the only attacks that use the weapon's animation.

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your follow up posts! In doing a bit more internal research and talking to our /bug guru, I've located a far more general bug that's in line with what the rest of you are reporting: that this is an issue with Lightsabers with effects when using specific abilities. My original find was for something different, and I apologize for being mistaken!

We're looking at getting this fixed in a patch after Game Update 2.3.

I made a thread about this a while ago.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645255

I'm sorry this was missed! It will happen from time to time, and I appreciate the link. To keep all of the info and communication in one place, your thread's been merged into this one and has taken over the title. :)

:ph_thank_you:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Dev Post
Bumping in case this got forgotten.

I hope the bug will be fixed in the next patch.

This hasn't been forgotten; unfortunately, it will not be in the next patch. I'll be sure to let you know when we're able to get it fixed and scheduled for deploy. Thanks for your understanding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your follow up posts! In doing a bit more internal research and talking to our /bug guru, I've located a far more general bug that's in line with what the rest of you are reporting: that this is an issue with Lightsabers with effects when using specific abilities. My original find was for something different, and I apologize for being mistaken!

We're looking at getting this fixed in a patch after Game Update 2.3.

I'm sorry this was missed! It will happen from time to time, and I appreciate the link. To keep all of the info and communication in one place, your thread's been merged into this one and has taken over the title. :)

:ph_thank_you:

This bug doesn't affect lightsabers only.

The Max-Tac Precision Sniper Rifle and Tac-HUD Heavy Sniper Rifle have the same issue with disappearing effects.