Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

ImmortalLowlife
06.21.2013 , 06:47 AM | #61
I'm married with 4 kids and work about 50hrs a wk Monday-Friday. I'm another who's been gaming since pong. My wife is a gamer & so are my oldest 2 kids. (The twins are 2 but they like to watch) So family time usually consist of watching the wife & kids play on the kenect or wii While I'm on the laptop playing swtor. I can usually get in 2-3hrs a night thru the week, & on weekends after running errands n stuff I can get 6-8 hrs of play time. I live in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in one of the most dangerous cities in the country so sending the kids outside to play much isn't really an option. Having a house full of gamers & owning every gaming system makes finding time to game simple.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!

Kiddynomyte
06.24.2013 , 01:19 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Maelael View Post
I love these threads!

Mostly, you'll find you have more free time as the parties go away, your friends get lives concerned with more than college related things, and your interests change. Many of the people I work with go out to bars, play poker, work on cars, prefer to watch TV, avid Bikers/Skiiers etc. It's all a matter of what you enjoy hobby wise.

Honestly having a good net connection and no cable TV with an MMO sub or two is the cheapest option for a hobby I've enjoyed.
^ this. You must find balance between work, social life/hobbies, family and gaming. I seldom wonder while folks are so bored with games when they are constantly logged in to them.

islander
06.24.2013 , 01:29 PM | #63
Honestly, if you don't watch a lot of TV, its not that hard to do.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

WillHolmes
06.24.2013 , 02:27 PM | #64
Work, Play, Sleep (and try not to forget to eat)
Shadowlands - Chandrian

Toasterman - Heal MercHanjabba - Madness Sin
10/10 DF/DP NIM

Jrea
07.02.2013 , 04:33 PM | #65
Well, Playing at work is an option I wouldn't recommend that until you figure out your work place, who has squeaky shoes, who doesn't.....

For Real, you can get some time evenings and weekends. If its a quiet evening I will get home at 6:00pm and play till 11:00pm. I find on the weekends though you can actually get pretty busy. Maybe Saturday morning or Sunday evening if you have the time for it.

Uruare
07.05.2013 , 06:48 AM | #66
For my own part, sometimes I don't have time for it at all. When its project time, I sometimes don't have time to go home and wind up sleeping in the office and showering at a nearby gym. When its not project time, I can loaf around at home in my robe and stare at the wall a lot of I please. Bi-annual conferences and quarterly workshops keep me qual'd on my assorted high-maintenance certs, but that's relatively brief demand on what is elsewise my 'free time'.

When I had a more consistent daily schedule, time management was the key to all good things in life, as well as maintaining a strict set of priorities. Back then, if I could get two or three hours of gaming in a night and maybe 10-15 on weekends, I was tapped out of hours in the day.

I do not have children and my significant other's schedule is pretty consistently busy, so its still a matter of prioritizing time for the things that matter over the things that really just don't. When there's time for gaming, I happily game.

When there isn't, I rest assured that it'll still be there when I've got time for it again.

What gets really difficult is keeping up with anyone. As a roleplayer, the people with lots of time on their hands and nothing else to do with it but play can be very disheartening to try to stay involved with, as its simply unreasonable to expect them to hold a storyline for 6+ weeks when I'm on a project.

It can also make it very difficult to be in a PvE guild, 'cause they can't rely on me to be there all the time when they want or need to fill a slot.

Here in MMO-land, the people that have all the time in the world for it are often the ones that can get in or make the guilds that can do all the top-end content, do whatever they like whenever they please and sometimes have no understanding for those of us for whom that's simply not true. I'm certain I'm not alone in the camp of having often received all kinds of flak for it, such as being told I 'expect things to be given to me on a silver platter' when I've put forth miffed complaints about how much of a time sink this or that is to do, or to get.

Simple fact is, game developers for MMO's often wind up tuning their game's experience to try to keep people that play constantly at least somewhat engaged, and when a game winds up more and more tuned to that strata of the demographic, it leaves people like myself in a dispiriting place.

A place of forever playing catch-up with no hope of ever actually doing so.

So, learning to deal with that is also a big part of making it work. Time management is key, but mitigating one's own disposition and tempering one's own aspirations and expectations is another.

You won't be able to do everything you might like to do on here if you can't dedicate a whole lot of consistent time to it. If you're fortunate enough to find people with whom your schedule aligns, that might change your mileage, but that cannot realistically be expected.

If you don't already know all about it, you'll come to understand very quickly why things like Groupfinder are invaluable tools for folks in positions even like mine, and why all these little quality of life travel options that shave minutes off the hassle of going from one planet to another are the sorts of things people have flipped tables for wanting when we didn't have them.

It'll all explain itself very clearly when you've got 120 minutes to play and not a minute more, if it hasn't already.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Forum Moderators, I dedicate this to you. You poor, underappreciated sods.

fleshtaker
07.05.2013 , 05:06 PM | #67
I work FT have 4 kids and find plenty of time to play (my kids are 11-18) so kinda look after themselves nowdays
but in order to get plenty of game time in all I have to do is make sure my missis gets some lovin a few nights a week
the old tap on the shoulder when shes sleeping normally works a treat and then she so happy she forgets I spend hours playing stupid games

Mideanstone
07.08.2013 , 06:04 AM | #68
You're all doing it wrong.
I don't work, (saved money for a few years to take some "me time") i am not married (just a series of meaningless physical relationships) and i have no kids.
I don't know how life could get any better tbh.

I will wake up somewhere between 10am and midday, if i feel like it, i will play, at any point through the rest of the day, i just play when i feel like it.
This leads to some marathon gaming sessions, and also to long stints where i don't play at all.

In a weird kind of way I'm the most responsible guy in here, I'm not neglecting my children or partner at all by putting a heap of time into a game, time that would no doubt be better spent spending time with my kids or wife ( if i had them).

I don't go to work tired from all night gaming sessions, and my social life is thriving because i have enough time and freedom to indulge both my gaming and social needs.

So i guess my advice to all you people doing it wrong would be this:

If your gaming is so important you have to allocate time away from your family to indulge it, your doing it wrong, if you go to work tired and perform badly because of staying up all night gaming, your doing it wrong, If the bulk of the time you socialize is spent on the computer, and not with your many RL friends, yep, you guessed it, your doing it wrong!
It amazes me how seriously people go out of their way to "manage their time" around a game.
Kinda sad really.