Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

05.31.2013 , 04:02 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Elisaveta View Post
I have a full time job, no kids and plenty of time to play. I imagine having young children would make things difficult but other than that I imagine a lot of people have free time. Gaming is my way to unwind after a stressful day.
I agree. I have more time to myself now than I ever did in college. Work stays at work, and it isn't like I have homework when I get home.

05.31.2013 , 04:32 PM | #22
I have one of those horrible schedules that kills time with my family but leaves me a lot of time during the day to play.

Mon-Wed and Fri I work evenings. Thursdays off and get all day to play but I fit in time to take my kids to the park or at least for a walk after school. And Saturdays I work days so my weekends consist of me trying to get out of the house and keep me and my wife off the game But we're normally back home by 7pm to raid. We don't go out much except to catch a movie, visit friends, take the kids out to dinner or something they want to do.

Only other thing I do is play basketball, jog and trying to get back into my workout routine. I would say it's possible to play this game, have a full time job, a family, time for friends and family and still have fun. On average, I get about 30 hours a week or more.

Edit: Oh and after work...I pvp which is the best stress reliever.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

05.31.2013 , 05:04 PM | #23
Unless you are pulling some crazy hours and/or live far away from job so it takes you hours to get there and back home, you will have plenty of time to play.

Maybe first couple of weeks you will be too tired to play, but after new lifestyle settles in (assuming it's regular 9-17), you'll see how much free time you actually have. To be honest, when I was a student, I had far less time to play, since you have to study even when you are home - to get ready to tests, exams, to write essays etc. When you are working, you get back home from work, do some chores and have the rest of the evening to yourself. Also, weekends.

I do not have children though, they could complicate things. But my guildies who have children, usually play after children are in bed. And older children do not really need that much attention from paretns as they most likely have their own interests to attend to.

Another route, you just sacrifice some sleep if you really want to grind some event, or zerg through another storyline. But this, of course, is occasional. Neglecting sleep too often is unhealthy.

05.31.2013 , 05:22 PM | #24
Simple - they have no life!

06.01.2013 , 05:14 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sith-Viscera View Post
The Bigger Question is for some? How do you fine time for REAL LIFE, when your gaming life is keeping your guild mates safe and and farming all the time just to feed all your legacy family and keep food and armor and weapons, in their mouths and on backs and in their hands. Real Life is so Annoying. So perhaps Real Life is the game and The Game is Real Life.

Makes for a interesting episode of the Twilight Zone. (u hear the shows theme music in the back ground)
Again, time management. For me and my husband, weekends are usually the best time to socialize with our RL friends. During weekdays, it's usually too late and we're too tired to go out anyway so it works out nicely. We'll make dinner, clean, spend some time together, and then spend a few hours unwinding. When you have a set schedule, you figure out what to do when.

I also don't play every day of the week, either. Keeps me from getting burned out.

06.01.2013 , 06:22 AM | #26
This is something developers and their cushy job will never understand. Nor will 90 percent of the player population in mmos today. Kids play mmos because they think its cool or because they want to be the popular one. For me a pc game is a way to keep my sanity amidst the constant unending stress added to my life by work and other things. This is also why I get so pissed off when a company like EA conspires to shut down one game, swg, and then release a crap game like swtor. Thats what a game is to me its my little way of keeping it together. So I always try to find sometime to play the game.

This is also another reason why mmos need substance over that of just raiding and pvp. Some people just do not have the time, and if thats all your offering, then there is no real reason for them to play your game. I get my post is a little off topic but I think it sums it up.

06.01.2013 , 07:21 AM | #27
High school is awesome.
Infyrno Lvl 65 Infyrnus Lvl 60/Infyrnal Lvl 65
Leiptr Lvl 65 Venaticus Lvl 65
Slaughtor Lvl 65 Evisceran Lvl 60
Sleipe Lvl 65 Desolus Lvl 65

GM of Oblivion

The worst part about expansions is I gotta update my signature levels.

06.01.2013 , 08:26 PM | #28
In the military. PT at 7 in the morning, work all day until 5. Come home and play until my wife finishes making dinner. Eat with her and the kids, then play with the kids and watch tv until they go to bed. Play for an hour or two. Repeat. Then on the weekends we hang out with friends during the day, and I play a little before bed. Been playing a little more lately though, I just moved to a new base and I'm on leave for another week or so. It's not too hard pay for a sub, play daily, have a family, and still stay healthy and in shape. You just gotta manage your time. I, like a lot of other people I've talked to, use video games to unwind and detach from stress at work.

06.01.2013 , 11:00 PM | #29
For 7 straight days I leave my house at 4am and return home around 7pm. When I get home I interact with my wife and kids until the kids go to be around 8:30pm. I usually log on then to see what's up and run a couple of crew skill missions ... After working 7 straight days I have 7 straight days off from work. Game On! My schedule is a problem when trying to join a raiding guild, as I can usually only raid 50% of the time ...

06.02.2013 , 05:57 AM | #30
I am self employed. The nature of my work means i dont have set hours, so i just while away the hours between on SWTOR. No wife or kids.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda