Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

Elisaveta
05.29.2013 , 12:17 PM | #11
I have a full time job, no kids and plenty of time to play. I imagine having young children would make things difficult but other than that I imagine a lot of people have free time. Gaming is my way to unwind after a stressful day.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

chuixupu
05.29.2013 , 12:26 PM | #12
Well, here's the thing. As a full time student, you are at school all day, and then yo usually come home and need to do homework. You probably also want to find time to socialize. When you're older and you just work a full time job, you go to work, then you come home, in a lot of cases you have the rest of the day free. Depending on what kind of work you do, of course. A business manager or a freelancer probably would have a really difficult time managing game time, but I know people who do it.
But you'd be surprised how much time people that work a a standard 8-4 or 9-5 job with free weekends can have. :P
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

BradTheImpaler
05.29.2013 , 05:36 PM | #13
I was starting to think about this, too.
I just finished university, and I think it's wrong to say that students in general have "plenty of time to waste". Personally I had classes and stuff outside of that, so I mostly played at night.

It's all about balance, and knowing when to play/when to cut yourself off from SWTOR. I just played a bit at a time, progressing gradually through the class story on my Agent and then a Consular a few months ago. Now, I don't have the full PvP gear yet since they switched to Partisan/Conqueror, and haven't yet leveled a character with the crew skills needed for augments and stuff, so some hardcore gamers will say "Wow, it takes you THAT long?"

Again, it's about balance. Balance, and coffee.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Squirrelflight
05.29.2013 , 06:21 PM | #14
1 job(animal rescue and rehab) 4 kids here. i tend to play after my kids go to bed.

emidas
05.29.2013 , 06:37 PM | #15
I work 50-60 hours a week (software developer) and I have more time to game now than I did in University. Time management is your friend.
Slingemi 55 Gunslinger | Emidas 50 Scoundrel | Crimp 50 Vanguard
Snipemi 55 Sniper | Sithyllis 50 Marauder |Vagemi 39 Powertech
The Chatos Academy - Officer

Radzkie
05.29.2013 , 06:54 PM | #16
One of the members of my raid group is a father with a full time job. Our raids are normally on the same days(and same time) every week, so he plans around them. If there's new content coming out, and we need an extra day/hour(s) to complete it, we plan what day we'll do it.

We normally run with the same team every week, but if someone can't make it due to family/work/whatever, people in our guild fill in for them.

As for me, I can make it to the raids because they're always after school or on the weekends. /shrug/

Like someone already said, if you like something enough you'll put time aside for it.
Radzkie (Seer) | Elím (Sawbones)
The Lovecraft Legacy
<Ascension>

Damask_Rose
05.29.2013 , 07:08 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Squirrelflight View Post
1 job(animal rescue and rehab) 4 kids here. i tend to play after my kids go to bed.
Very cool I foster dogs for my local shelter and know a lot of people who do rescue. I'm picking up my new foster puppy tomorrow. I think she's going to be wild since one foster home has already returned her

Sith-Viscera
05.29.2013 , 07:13 PM | #18
The Bigger Question is for some? How do you fine time for REAL LIFE, when your gaming life is keeping your guild mates safe and and farming all the time just to feed all your legacy family and keep food and armor and weapons, in their mouths and on backs and in their hands. Real Life is so Annoying. So perhaps Real Life is the game and The Game is Real Life.

Makes for a interesting episode of the Twilight Zone. (u hear the shows theme music in the back ground)

ATAMIANM
05.30.2013 , 03:15 PM | #19
I have a FT job, which often makes me work too much. Fortunately, I have three things going for me: (1) No kids, (2) the most awesome wife who understands gaming is how I relax (whereas she watches TV or movies to relax), and (3) I usually don't need more than 6 hours sleep, ever. I find I can game most nights from 7-11 or so; not every night, but most nights. Weekends I usually get in a few hours each day, sporadically, when the wife and I aren't out somewhere.

Squirrelflight
05.31.2013 , 03:05 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
Very cool I foster dogs for my local shelter and know a lot of people who do rescue. I'm picking up my new foster puppy tomorrow. I think she's going to be wild since one foster home has already returned her
thanks. i resuce domestic dogs and cats. i am also licensed for wild canine/feline rescue and rehab,as well as raptor(birds of prey) rescue...gets crazy here sometimes