Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Full TIme Job: How Are Some People Still Playing?

ScytheEleven
05.29.2013 , 06:19 AM | #1
Currently, I'm a student. So I have plenty of time to waste in this game.

But my student life is coming to an end in a few months, and I have some employment opportunities lined up. I frequently run into people who spend a fair amount of time in-game, and claim to have full-time jobs and even families/kids. My question is: how on earth do you do it?

NOTE: This is NOT an insulting thread! It is not made to insult anyone! I'm just curious as to how people are able to juggle their time around much better than I am planning to!

Arweniel
05.29.2013 , 06:43 AM | #2
Good question
I don't believe people with full time jobs and kids have alot of time for gaming tbh. I can tell you how Im able find a few spare hours daily tho, being a mother of 2 and working from 9 to 6.
I play 30 min in the morning while Im having my coffee and after I take the kids to school, then off to work. After work I play about 30 min again to relax before I have to start preparing dinner. After this is done I can finally spend a few hours gaming until I get sleepy usually around midnight. So that make it about 4 - 5 hours during the working days. Of course they are way more during the weekends
There is no such thing as Real Life! There is only AFK!

Astygia
05.29.2013 , 06:45 AM | #3
Same way people that don't make big bucks still keep spending money in their pockets: self-management.

2 jobs here (one typical in the office job & one online for Funcom), wife, 8 year old son, and all the bills & maintenance that come along with family life. I still manage a few hours a day or every other day. Days off are 'my days' assuming the family hasn't made other plans for me. Probably helps that my wife is also a gamer (we met in WoW years ago) so that's not a thing.

If you really like something, you'll make / find time for it.

Raudbjorn
05.29.2013 , 09:57 AM | #4
Well, when i worked last year, i usually found a day when i returned from work to play for the rest of the day.
Mind you, it was not much, work from usually 6AM to 4PM, and 30 mins driving each way.
Tiring work too, seafood production, sleeptime was usually from 9PM-4AM.
I didn't drive, but the driver always picked me up an hour before work actually starts, and the as i said, the ride is 30 mins each way.

So if you want to play, get a job close by, and drive/walk/bike there yourself.

JediJonesJr
05.29.2013 , 10:11 AM | #5
shhhh!

don't tell anybody but...

I'm rich

Projawa
05.29.2013 , 10:33 AM | #6
Time management . Ft job and doing part time grad school and I squeeze in a few hours a day though sometimes I'm too tired to do anything but sleep.

Lumpyone
05.29.2013 , 11:20 AM | #7
I work FT, but its more like I'm always working because I can always get a call from work at any time of day and need to respond. However, I find time 2-3 hours a night, or every other night and usually spend a Sat or Sun playing all day. Its time management, but also gaming is how I choose to spend my non-working time.

And if/when you have kids, and they get old enough, you'll find they may be playing a game as well and you can spend time with them and game at same time =)

Caelrie
05.29.2013 , 11:43 AM | #8
Full-time job, no kids, low-maintenance husband. I have lots of playtime if I want it.

Subach
05.29.2013 , 12:00 PM | #9
Ah, the benefits of the bachelor life...

Ifolad
05.29.2013 , 12:05 PM | #10
Wake up, take shower, go to work 6-10 hours depending on how busy it is, come home take shower, smoke bowl(s), hop on game, play till i pass out. repeat. Girlfriend games, i game, neither of us can have kids, living expenses are cheap in kansas fyi minus "sam brown@ ss's" tax's. Oh and you have to Phelps dodge from time to time, i just throw cig butts at them out my window as i drive by.