Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

dirty little secret---slicing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
dirty little secret---slicing

Elear
12.21.2011 , 02:50 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by LFCBreal View Post
To all of you comparing the time it takes to grind/quest for money VS sending companions to gather for you:

Do not forget you can do PVP or run a Flashpoint and send all your companions to gather.

You obviouslly cannot "grind" at the same time, this makes a very large difference.
If you grind at max lvl, wou'll make probably around 50k per hour, maybe more.

With slicing, assuming you'll have enought missions to send 3 companions at the same time, you'll probably make around 4k profit in an hour. 12k if you're extremely lucky.

With other crew skills, they can aquire/craft items that would sell for much more.

mrdmdstar
12.21.2011 , 02:52 PM | #72
I got rid of slicing as it took one of the gathering I needed for my craft... after reading all this, it makes me wish I had stuck with it, so I could just buy the things I needed with all the money...

Oh well.

AsinineTangent
12.21.2011 , 03:05 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Scoobings View Post
I don't know how it is end game, but since slicing yields no resources it's always going to be a hard amount of cash that does not fluctuate with the economy.

Gathering skills however will pick up resources that are probably going to be worth a pretty penny at max level. It seems to me that slicing is pretty OP at lower levels but it really kind of needs to be that way because it won't stand up against the other gathering proffessions once you are max level.

I guess we'll have to see though. I plan on respeccing my gathering when I get max level though. The only reason I might not is simply for RP purposes.
This is exactly it. Slicing while leveling will ensure you get all your skills trained and you get your speeders on time and all the other things that have static costs. It'll let you build up a nice nest egg for level 50 so I would suggest people take it to level.

But at max level it won't be able to compare. So most likely you'll want to drop it.

The best thing to do if you actually want to craft, in my opinion, is take slicing and the gathering and mission skill for whatever craft you want to actually do later. Then slice/stockpile whatever mats you can while you level. Then at 50 drop slicing and grab your crafting skill and power level it.

Negivv
12.21.2011 , 04:18 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by AsinineTangent View Post
The best thing to do if you actually want to craft, in my opinion, is take slicing and the gathering and mission skill for whatever craft you want to actually do later. Then slice/stockpile whatever mats you can while you level. Then at 50 drop slicing and grab your crafting skill and power level it.
I might remember wrong from the tutorials but I believe you can only have 1 type of each (craft, mission, gathering) so if you take up slicing you cut yourself out on the...mission one? If that is the category slicing falls in.

As I said though I'm not 100% sure as I might be mixing up the restriction with something else atm.

Uruvsuurt
12.21.2011 , 04:35 PM | #75
I just want to know what ex-Square Enix developer now works on this games accounting system.

9999 baby!

Hellapain
12.21.2011 , 04:40 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by KashYarrow View Post
Becuase the difference between a GAMER and a Game PLAYER is that the Gamer plays the game for the enjoyment of it, and will explore everything and go everywhere, and NEVER look at or for a guide/cheat. They WANT to and WILL work for what they get.

The Game PLAYER plays a game and wants everything NOW, and is not interested in exploring possabilities, and doesn't want to work for what he gets, and will use any opportunity to get hold of a guide or a cheat the get there faster than everyone else.

Flame me if you will but the fact remains there are two type of game player, an over simplified explanation of both I have listed above.
I never could understand this mentality.

'Work' to me is what I do to pay for this game.

'Gaming' is entertainment and fun. Anything achieved in the game is just a natural progression from having fun in the game.

The moment I have to 'grind' or 'work' for something in a game is the same moment I click the 'cancel' button.

hadoken
12.21.2011 , 04:40 PM | #77
Slicing is nice but honestly people are blowing out of proportion the money gains from it.

With no slicing at all I've bought all but the final (200k) bag slot, kept all my crew skills up to date (armormech, scavenging, underworld) and still been easily able to afford training and mounts. Level 38 now. And I didn't play the GTN at all.

Money comes pretty easily from quests and loot from npcs you kill too, people are just focusing on the instant reward of slicing. It's nice, but it isn't breaking the game at all.

Sirfuzzy
12.21.2011 , 07:43 PM | #78
Holy Christ people.. the game has been officially released for maybe 2 days. It usually takes around 2 weeks for an Auction House to get going with any real strength. People who are leveling their first character rarely give a crap about spending money on minor upgrades.. especially horribly overpriced ones.
It's the max level characters that run the economy. Give it a month at least until you start throwing baby fits.

Also, consider that 1000 credits isn't supposed to mean anything. As far as I can tell 8-10k credits is about equal to 1 gold in WoW. Vehicles are CHEAP in this game. Slicing is bring you like 5-50 silver at a time.. woo...

Gumbicus
12.21.2011 , 07:56 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN..
Do pvp, plenty of credits there.
The point i see in money from slicing is so that you can buy resources you need to craft. It doesn't need nerfing or un-nerfing as a fair amount of my credits i make from slicing go straight back into buying cybertech resources off the market, some of which is getting quite over-priced (2000 credits for 10 bronzium), but it is still enough for me to break even as if i were still a scavenger and then make my item and sell it

levat
12.21.2011 , 08:00 PM | #80
Real money comes from gathering nodes, not from missions. Getting 100k+ creds/hours isn't negligible, considering you have a crafting proffession as well as another gathering proffession. This way, you'd only need to buy mission mats from the AH and still craft/sell your stuff and enjoy extra credits. On lucky illum runs i can make up to half a million credits per day (3+ hour grinds) without any risk of not selling my stuff and wasting mats.