Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Massed PvP Battlegrounds please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Massed PvP Battlegrounds please?

Vakh
05.28.2013 , 02:05 AM | #1
Question: Will there ever be massed PvP battlegrounds similar to Alterec Valley in WoW in SWTOR?

I miss those huge battles over a large battleground that you used your mount to get around and had multiple 'flag' and choke points. Just wondering if in the future there will be the scope for this, or is the SWTOR engine not geared for that kind of stress?
Regards Vakh

Applicator
05.28.2013 , 02:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Vakh View Post
Question: Will there ever be massed PvP battlegrounds similar to Alterec Valley in WoW in SWTOR?

I miss those huge battles over a large battleground that you used your mount to get around and had multiple 'flag' and choke points. Just wondering if in the future there will be the scope for this, or is the SWTOR engine not geared for that kind of stress?
Regards Vakh
To be honest mass pvp like that is too zergy for me to enjoy, need some way to spread people out a bit and make it so that melee have a chance to get in close without getting exploded. Ilum used to be like that but lagged a lot, but they've made several performance changes since then.

Talsalus
05.28.2013 , 02:23 AM | #3
I still believe that their engine can't handle battles that large. They also stated that they have no plans for Illum in the foreseeable future. Most likely not gonna happen.

macumba
05.28.2013 , 02:24 AM | #4
just look at the lag in the current smal bg's.
current technology forbids larger bg's
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Dawginole
05.28.2013 , 02:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vakh View Post

Regards Vakh

I'm guessing you weren't around for launch. Not a criticism. We had this. If you've done the Gree even the entire map was what you're talking about. Not just the middle PvP area in the current Gree event. But the entire upper and now unused lower portion.
It was a dissaster. Eric Musco admitted to me in person that the engine couldn't handle it. And in an interview posted last week a dev said they had no plans to pursue this any time in the future.

I'm not sure how many people know this, but WoW was rewritten with a new engine several years after its launch. This is what it will take. Essentially the game being rebuilt on a new engine from scratch several years into the future. But it would take the game becoming very very popular for them to invest in this. Basically it's not going to happen.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Desolaytore
05.28.2013 , 02:44 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
I'm guessing you weren't around for launch. Not a criticism. We had this. If you've done the Gree even the entire map was what you're talking about. Not just the middle PvP area in the current Gree event. But the entire upper and now unused lower portion.
It was a dissaster. Eric Musco admitted to me in person that the engine couldn't handle it. And in an interview posted last week a dev said they had no plans to pursue this any time in the future.

I'm not sure how many people know this, but WoW was rewritten with a new engine several years after its launch. This is what it will take. Essentially the game being rebuilt on a new engine from scratch several years into the future. But it would take the game becoming very very popular for them to invest in this. Basically it's not going to happen.
Even if the engine could handle it would have still been lame, you couldn't use the vehicles
"I hear them enter my domain, children unknowing. They will serve..." - The Infernal One
Lightning flashes of insight, Into the mirth of a dark sky,
Pain of division is nothing, Joy of dissolution is everything.

discbox
05.28.2013 , 02:53 AM | #7
Right now the engine is not able to sync 8 player warzones...
^^

Massed warzones would be horrible, because 8 player PvP is horrible since 2.0.

Vakh
05.28.2013 , 02:59 AM | #8
Thanks for the feedback guys, that's pretty much what I thought.
Crying shame though, I know there were issues with Alterec Valley in the day regarding certain classes etc. but it was still a lot of fun.
Incidentally I was around at the start, actually got my beta invite the day the game went live /doh backi in those days I was still learning the game and focused on PVE more, Ilum didnt interest me as I was an Aussie player on a US server, time differences being what they are.
Anyway thanks again for the info.
Regards
Vakh

Applicator
05.28.2013 , 03:27 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
Right now the engine is not able to sync 8 player warzones...
^^

Massed warzones would be horrible, because 8 player PvP is horrible since 2.0.
I keep hearing about WZ lag but have never experienced it and I've played since launch. Can't say I have had any lag issues at all except for the original Ilum pre optimisation.

jedip_enguin
05.28.2013 , 03:33 AM | #10
Never gonna happen.
Click my link please, I'm almost out of Cartel coins - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh