Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

PlayLoud
06.03.2013 , 02:09 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Dye packs cost, what, 220 CC. AC change will cost many 100s of CCs.
Maybe they will make it like the dye packs, in that you get a random AC change. You just have to hope it's the one you're looking for.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB | SSD: Crucial M4 256GB
Video: MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 7 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

Hizoka
06.03.2013 , 02:09 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
To explain this a bit further, at least from my perspective, a few ACs are known to have weaknesses due to bad design at cap, or at least former cap around level 50. A few of them fundamentally change how they play at or around that level.

At around the 30 to 40 rangish the way the class will act at cap is not apparent.
then you suck it up an re-roll, you do not complain and demand something new be handed to you. Wanting an AC change is no different then them handing out free level 55s. They will kill their subscription base doing it.

branmakmuffin
06.03.2013 , 03:04 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
then you suck it up an re-roll, you do not complain and demand something new be handed to you. Wanting an AC change is no different then them handing out free level 55s. They will kill their subscription base doing it.
Oh, man, I think a chunk of the sky just hit me.

Please, more hyperbole.

LordArtemis
06.03.2013 , 03:49 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
That is quite different than an AC change. . .
You can already level as a DPS and swap to Tank or Heals, if you play a class with those skill trees. I run dailies on my Sorc as a DPS, but regularly heal in OPs and FPs and WZs.

AC class change would be me becoming an Assassin. I am 100% against being able to do this "on-the-fly" and whenever you want to. But, people have made good points -- you can invest a lot of time, money and energy into your characters, only to realize you do not enjoy the playstyle at all. Being able to swap once (maybe twice, to go back) -- allows you to correct a "mistake" made early on when you probably didn't understand each class.

One thing, semi-related, that they should add. Only allow people to "need" on gear if the stats are used for your current AC/Spec. Healers don't need accuracy. DPS don't need defense. Etc. It would be slightly harder to implement in SWTOR, because of the varied stats that can be "viable" for different classes -- but, this has worked beautifully in other games.
A good reasonable post IMO. I agree that I have concerns about trivial "AC on the fly" options proposed. If it's limited and expensive it becomes more palatable for me, but I'm still leaning toward no allowing it...at least for now though I am willing to keep discussing it.

LordArtemis
06.03.2013 , 03:50 PM | #505
I disagree.

Khevar
06.03.2013 , 03:51 PM | #506
The biggest advantage of rerolling (from my perspective anyway) is that you have more toons that can do crafting missions.

I have a level 12 Powertech that I abandoned (I rerolled a Merc instead) who has been sitting on the fleet for a year doing crafting missions. In fact, I recently unlocked HK-51 on that toon so that he and Mako could run Unsliceable and Watching the Watchdogs, and they hand over Thermal Regulators to my augment crafters.

: ) )

LordArtemis
06.03.2013 , 03:53 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
See that is the issue.. There are no pros and cons when you consider what the mechanics of being allowed to do that will do to the game..

Classes like the Jedi will become obsolete because they don't have a healing spec.. See WOW.. The most popular classes in that game are druids and Paladins.. Why?? Those are the only 2 classes that can do all three roles.. Tank, heal, and DPS..

Bioware fought hard not to allow this in the beta.. They altered the game to make choosing your AC so simple that even a monkey can do it.. They also added multiple VO warnings and text warnings that your choice was permanent.. It is abundantly clear.. There is no hinting about anything else.. They made it so you could see the skill trees before making your choice, made it a separate window for each AC so people couldn't complain about pressing the wrong button.. They made a lot of changes to avoid AC swapping.. There was a big debate about is the AC a class or not and Bioware came out and flat said that the AC's were in fact a class.. Bioware also stated that they didn't want a single class to be able to both tank and heal.. It is actually better for the game that way.. This was all covered and decided in the beta.. Sure.. They always reserve the right to change their mind.. But their stance on this has not changed since before this game was released..

You all are talking about one of the fundamental rules of the game.. No one class can both tank and heal.. It would not be good for the game to change that.. Period..

So no.. There are no reasons to allow AC swapping.. It would adversely effect the game if it were allowed.. Which trumps any pros and cons you feel are valid..
This is a very good point and it has been mentioned before...I think it's one of the strongest ones against, and I am concerned about it as well...the devaluation of certain ACs as a result of allowing something like this.

I do not agree that there are no reasons, nor do I feel this reason trumps all others...but I do agree it is a serious concern.

branmakmuffin
06.03.2013 , 06:25 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
This is a very good point and it has been mentioned before...I think it's one of the strongest ones against, and I am concerned about it as well...the devaluation of certain ACs as a result of allowing something like this.
Which one of his nonsensical points was "very good?"

Khevar
06.03.2013 , 07:21 PM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Which one of his nonsensical points was "very good?"
The position is if there were an easy-AC-respec, Consulars, Troopers, Bounty Hunters and Inquisitors would all be able to switch between Heals, Damage and Tanks.

Yet Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors would only be able to switch between Damage and Tanks. And Smugglers / Agents would only be able to switch between Heals and Damage.

Potentially devaluing those classes as they wouldn't be as flexible as the others.

Ratajack
06.03.2013 , 08:33 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
so, you buy new gear... Also, how will this ruin diversity? There is no logic in that reply.... Unless you fear everyone will want to be a Marauder? There will still be EIGHT classes and a few people switching AC does not mean anything less, in terms, of "diversity".
You're ignoring the fact that we have 16 classes now, 8 per faction. I'm guessing that all 16 are represented fairly evenly, give or take a few percentage points. If they allow class changes, the "weaker" class will suddenly see a drop in representation, and the "OP" class will see an upsurge in representation. This is an adverse affect on diversity.

Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
Your could NOT tank and heal on the same character...
If you switch from a Sorc, to Assassin, you will LOSE, your ability to heal.....
You will lose your ability to heal while you are an assassin, but the next time your guild or that pug needs a healer, "Oh, let me switch back to sorcerer". Now you can heal, although not tank, while you are a sorcerer. This effectively gives you the ability to fill all three roles with one character.