Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

ZETA_SCORPII
05.17.2014 , 06:31 AM | #4991
I do not support AC and the devs would have to be utterly stupid to support it as well being that revenue would drop.

Vhaegrant
05.17.2014 , 07:57 AM | #4992
Quote: Originally Posted by ekwalizer View Post
While I cannot speak for everyone, the reason *I* am opposed is because I believe the Dev time should be spent on more important issues. For the entire lifetime of this very thread, up until the most recent patch, players would habitually crash at the end of certain Flashpoints. But for the longest time, reskinning ugly armor to sell on the CM was more important to the Devs than to fix an issue with their code that caused people to crash at the end of certain content.
I thought it had long been established that there is not ONE singular dev entity that is responsible for the development of the game but many teams each with their own focus... Combat team, Cartel Market Team, New Content Team, Bug Hunting Team, Engine Optimisation Team.
There is no reason to assume the time spent on Cartel Market has any impact on any other aspects of the game, just as there is no reason to assume the team responsible for Quality of Life features is the same team that hunts down and eliminates bugs.

That is one way that it directly impacts me personally, for the "pro-AC swap" crowd to get what they want, the rest of the community is forced to suffer through known/new bugs for that much longer.
Only Bioware have the metrics that would suggest which of these populations is the larger. I know I've played through 'Black Talon' and 'Esseles' a few dozen times and have only crashed out of it a couple of times, and on logging back in the quest was successfully updated so my time inside the FP was not lost. Of course, those affected by the bug are going to come to the forums and complain making them seem a far larger part of the community. Just as those with an interest in a feature who repeatedly post on a subject can inflate it into a seemingly 'huge issue of epic scope'.

ekwalizer
05.17.2014 , 10:13 AM | #4993
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
I thought it had long been established that there is not ONE singular dev entity that is responsible for the development of the game but many teams each with their own focus... Combat team, Cartel Market Team, New Content Team, Bug Hunting Team, Engine Optimisation Team.
There is no reason to assume the time spent on Cartel Market has any impact on any other aspects of the game, just as there is no reason to assume the team responsible for Quality of Life features is the same team that hunts down and eliminates bugs.
I'd like to see where this long established knowledge comes from. Furthermore, if that *is* the case then the bug hunting team needs to be fired. Next, the senior staff ought to be fired for placing CM reskins on parity with bug fixes.

Only Bioware have the metrics that would suggest which of these populations is the larger. I know I've played through 'Black Talon' and 'Esseles' a few dozen times and have only crashed out of it a couple of times, and on logging back in the quest was successfully updated so my time inside the FP was not lost. Of course, those affected by the bug are going to come to the forums and complain making them seem a far larger part of the community. Just as those with an interest in a feature who repeatedly post on a subject can inflate it into a seemingly 'huge issue of epic scope'.
Not sure if you mean to be so ironic.

Vhaegrant
05.19.2014 , 12:07 AM | #4994
I'd like to see where this long established knowledge comes from. Furthermore, if that *is* the case then the bug hunting team needs to be fired. Next, the senior staff ought to be fired for placing CM reskins on parity with bug fixes.
It's a standard working practice of pretty much any development house of size.
Bug hunting is no different than any other aspect in that it has priorities. I've been affected by the Black Talon/Esseles crash a couple of times, it was not consistent (makes it a lot harder to track back to cause) and did not prevent me from advancing (aside from the slight inconvenience of restarting the client I didn't lose the quest reward) so I would place it at a lower priority.
Bug Hunting can be a much trickier beast on the PC as unlike the console market there is no gold standard for PC setups.
Again, the Cartel Market team is separate from the bug fixes. I'm not sure how useful placing a 'modelling artist' into a coding team would be.

Not sure if you mean to be so ironic.
Where did I exclude myself from that comment? Of course I know I inflate this subject as much as anyone else.

brewergamer
05.19.2014 , 06:21 AM | #4995
I don't see a problem with adding an advanced class change, the people on this forum are just screaming and crying about nothing. If someone wants to be fotm, they can just reroll. Bioware would make extra money with this option for people that simply would rather not spend the time to reroll. And it's not really a gamebreaking thing imo. I hope to see it happening.
Brewer GodofPvP

Superman_AZ
05.19.2014 , 06:22 AM | #4996
Where did I exclude myself from that comment? Of course I know I inflate this subject more than anyone else.
Fixed that for you. Were you not responding to every post, this thread would still be dead on page 3, and making its way to 300. You and Zahirs seem to be the only two people left in the forum who actually want this change. The number of views on the thread is likely just us and the lurkers hittin F5 to see if anything new has been said. They should just remove the AC and drop all 5 trees under the main class.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Superman_AZ
05.19.2014 , 06:26 AM | #4997
Quote: Originally Posted by brewergamer View Post
I don't see a problem with adding an advanced class change, the people on this forum are just screaming and crying about nothing. If someone wants to be fotm, they can just reroll. Bioware would make extra money with this option for people that simply would rather not spend the time to reroll. And it's not really a gamebreaking thing imo. I hope to see it happening.
By forcing someone to roll another character, they are now locking that person into another 40+ hours of game time, more CM items, and extension of a sub to allow for multiple active characters. Allowing people to put everything under one character actually reduces the amount of playtime and CM items purchased, in some cases. There is a good chance MOST of the ideas we represent will never be implemented as in some form, or another, they will actually cost BW more than they will make them.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Vhaegrant
05.19.2014 , 07:39 AM | #4998
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
Fixed that for you. Were you not responding to every post, this thread would still be dead on page 3, and making its way to 300. You and Zahirs seem to be the only two people left in the forum who actually want this change. The number of views on the thread is likely just us and the lurkers hittin F5 to see if anything new has been said. They should just remove the AC and drop all 5 trees under the main class.
Someone quoted me, I was respectful and responded to clarify my point. And, I didn't need to alter their post to make that point. I'm well aware of how often I post in this thread... as long as I'm on topic and respectful I didn't realise that was an issue.

I find it funny that your solution to keeping this thread off page one is to respond to every post I put up in kind. If you really wanted to see the thread fade from existence why are you so keen to respond?

But, not quite as funny as your suggested fix. Dropping the ACs and merging all the specs under one class is a terrible solution that would affect every player whether they wanted to use the feature or not and introduce balance issues between the specs (as certain specs would have access to core AC abilities, Tanks with self-heals for example).

Savej
05.19.2014 , 07:46 AM | #4999
By forcing someone to roll another character, they are now locking that person into another 40+ hours of game time, more CM items, and extension of a sub to allow for multiple active characters. Allowing people to put everything under one character actually reduces the amount of playtime and CM items purchased, in some cases. There is a good chance MOST of the ideas we represent will never be implemented as in some form, or another, they will actually cost BW more than they will make them.

No, they aren't. For some that works. For others that derails their zone - they break away from friends, pvp, ops (to level a new character with a new name), they get bored doing the same class quests, they see how non-special and unique their other character really was, breaking the magic, and they leave the game after 15-30 hours where they otherwise wouldn't have. See how that works? No one is "locked in" to anything just because they are "forced" to start a new character.

branmakmuffin
05.20.2014 , 10:51 AM | #5000
I never said it wasn't content. I said it was unimportant content to people like me and the wookie there. We both feel there are TONS of better features and content which should be implemented before they waste time and resources adding AC Swapping. Just my opinion of course. I have no influence with BW.
So your opposition is based on "I don't like it." That's fine as that is the only rational reason to oppose AC change.