Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
03.12.2014 , 11:29 AM | #4331
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
The slots are emptied back into inventory and the games tracks what rank abilities are and if they are active or not (something I suspect it may already be capable of if you look at the way trainers list abilities available)
I'm always wary of arm-chair generals/ programmers but that surely wouldn't be much of an issue compared to untangling the myriad of story choices and their impact as you level.
And we can take care of the mechanical issues of swapping class mechanics the same way. No need to swap stories.

A mercenary doesn't need to become a sith marauder or sniper. He just needs to be allowed to use vibroswords or sniper rifles.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Vhaegrant's Avatar


Vhaegrant
03.12.2014 , 11:30 AM | #4332
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Which makes them very much comparable. Is there any reason a mercenary shouldn't be able to dual-wield vibroswords?
There really isn't any reason, and a point I have made many times before hoping that Bioware introduce new Advanced Classes that allow for exactly this type of variation and customisation.
Of course Bounty Hunters don't use vibroswords they use techblades :P

Vhaegrant's Avatar


Vhaegrant
03.12.2014 , 11:33 AM | #4333
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
And we can take care of the mechanical issues of swapping class mechanics the same way. No need to swap stories.

A mercenary doesn't need to become a sith marauder or sniper. He just needs to be allowed to use vibroswords or sniper rifles.
In essence I see this as the same thing as introducing new Advanced Classes, which I'm not opposed to.

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
03.12.2014 , 11:35 AM | #4334
I've ran with enough "tanks" in dps gear and dps spec who just put a tanking stance on (sometimes) and think they could tank to be aware that nothing will change.

I both dps and heal on my sorc. its very VERY different and I still don't have a hang of her rotation as lightning comfortably enough to do anything serious on her (I leveled her as a healer, and up until recently 95% of the time, played her as a healer). I don't even know where to begin with madness, its a complete blank to me. but I have an option to learn.

incidentally, my jugg feels a lot more similar to my sentinel when I dps on him. much smaller learning curve than I thought. switching my vanguard from tanking to dps was more challenging. and that's taking into account that abilities between factions have different names and different icons.

I have no clue how to properly dps on my operative. i leveled her as a healer and I play her as a healer. when I do deal damage, (becasue sometimes even as a healer, you still need to help out, and plus it gets me extra medals in pvp) I mostly just randomly grenade, dot and shank - more to interrupt someone trying to cap and objective than anything else, really. this will NOT work if I would take her full dps and tried to play it as a main role. I'd have to relearn.

need to relearn your character is already in game. hell, with ability to level to 55 entirely through galactic star fighter, its possible to hit 55 without EVER playing your actual character and knowing anything about how any of their specs work. leveling a character is no guarantee of knowing how to play that character. with or without AC swapping. just saying.

P.S. adding new mechanics and specializations to existing classes could be very interesting actualy. would still prefer if there were at least SOME ability limitations (for example - bounty hunters shouldn't be able to use force abilities, legacy force abilities are bad enough, but at least there's some semblance of trying to make them "appear" more tech rather than downright force - but bigger variety of tech abilities and playstyles? why the heck not?)

Seldan's Avatar


Seldan
03.12.2014 , 11:37 AM | #4335
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
And we can take care of the mechanical issues of swapping class mechanics the same way. No need to swap stories.

A mercenary doesn't need to become a sith marauder or sniper. He just needs to be allowed to use vibroswords or sniper rifles.
Something along the lines of a metaclass is an interesting concept, but way beyond the scope of this thread.

As for the gearing issues:

The technical issues regarding gear differences can be addressed with adaptive gear and gear kits as part of the AC Change feature.

For example, if someone decided to change a Juggernaut to a Marauder, the "AC Change Token" would contain a set of empty orange adaptive gear and a secondary lightsaber.

This is similar to the kit you receive ( lightsaber, generator, assault cannon, etc ) when you first select an AC, or the speeder pilot token you receive when purchasing a mount from the Cartel Market.

Slicka's Avatar


Slicka
03.12.2014 , 11:50 AM | #4336
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
The problem I see and something that may need to be taken into consideration is for the most part the stats can be very different but will a player that just switched AC wait to run a hard mode if he or she doesn't have the correct mods or will they get into a group and expect the group to carry them without them at least attempting to replace some of the items. They also would need to be upfront with the group about just changing their AC but how many would?

These are things that need to be consider before and if they allow AC and they need to make it where they can't keep chaning AC at a drop of a hat just because something didn't work the way someone wanted it to. Some people quit when things don't go their way instead of trying to learn what they did wrong or they want to pass the blame to someone else.
I actually disagree that playstyle generally would deter one from making the switch because they didn't know what they were doing. This can affect some that switch, but a good player would learn their new specialization through both research, and play. Dulfy has guides from some of the top players in the game for each specialization. This may be because I have played MMOs for years, and have had to switch between a variety of specs while running heroic raids in WOW.

Typically when I leveled a new class that I plan on running through difficult end-game, I learn everything there is to know about the class. To use an example, I leveled up a MW Monk back when MOP first came out. Mistweaver is the healing specialization and had unique mechanics for the spec. I researched what stats were necessary, the priority rotation, and different tricks of the specialization itself that were useful. Then as I was running around in-game running normal dungeons to get the feel for healing, I was able to test some of the research out. I found out what worked (Use Renewing Mist on CD, keep Jade Serpent Statue up, and channel Soothing Mist especially when you need to pop instant heals for Enveloping Mist, and Surging Mist.) and what didn't (DPSing in melee did not give off good heals. It was much weaker than Smite healing on a Disc Priest.). Once I gained enough confidence that I knew my class inside and out, I ran hard mode dungeons, and raids. The advantage? Mistweaver Monks weren't typically around at the start for obvious reasons. When other players saw my hps through Recount on fights in raids, they couldn't believe how well I was doing in the gear I was in. In LFR, I was asked by other MW Monks on how to play the class because I would be tripling their hps in less gear. I was able to figure out tricks for each boss fight that always put me as one of the top healers even though my gear was terrible compared to the others. (I'm amazed I even remember some of this stuff, I quit like 9 months ago, lol.)

Now I will accept and understand that most players won't do this. It's a lot of work, and if you didn't like playing said AC for the first thirty levels, you won't even care about end-game. This is probably more along the lines of a regular raider that needs to help out their regular group. However, this is one reason why I disagree that class mechanics and learning curve would disrupt groups. There is a few players that would need to learn, and could cause these problems, but overall a good player knows what is expected of them, and knows that changing their specialization will be dramatic in order to benefit instead of hindering their groups.
Server: Prophecy of the Five
16 Characters, when will it end? All advanced classes, ftw!

Youtube Playthrough Videos / Guides

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
03.12.2014 , 12:43 PM | #4337
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
What if the class story and companions were retained, but you simply switch mechanics? Have a mercenary dual-wielding vibroswords.
The big problem I see with this is that it WOULD impact me with PvP. The Class a player is plays a HUGE factor in how I fight them. If my opponent was listed as a "Mercenary" but the guy was actually an "Operative", I'd cry foul seen him cloak out. If his "Class" changed to whatever his new AC was, it would again have NO impact on me and my playstyle whatsoever, so I wouldn't be opposed to this ever becoming a reality.

Having said that...I am not advocating for complete Class swapping in any way. I don't support it because I don't feel it's even remotely close to the same thing as swapping AC's. I'm not entirely against it either, but I don't believe in it strongly enough to argue for it at all. If it happened, I'd be fine with it and utilize it as much as I utilize AC swapping (not at all), I'd simply be happy for the player who DID use it and found new enjoyment in the game because of it.

My whole reason for being in favor of AC swapping is I believe in making players happy. More options to allow players the freedom to enjoy this game benefit us all long term.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Seldan's Avatar


Seldan
03.12.2014 , 01:10 PM | #4338
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
My whole reason for being in favor of AC swapping is I believe in making players happy. More options to allow players the freedom to enjoy this game benefit us all long term.
I agree 100%.

An AC Change would provide players with more choices. Maintaining player interest is a key component of any game, and this feature would provide that.

Whether it's a leveling character that is reconsidering his AC selection, a returning player that has interest in the alternate AC of an abandoned character, or a bored veteran player that would like to experience a change in play style, this feature would offer that choice, as well as the possibility of additional revenue for the game.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
03.12.2014 , 01:42 PM | #4339
Quote: Originally Posted by Seldan View Post
I agree 100%.

An AC Change would provide players with more choices. Maintaining player interest is a key component of any game, and this feature would provide that.

Whether it's a leveling character that is reconsidering his AC selection, a returning player that has interest in the alternate AC of an abandoned character, or a bored veteran player that would like to experience a change in play style, this feature would offer that choice, as well as the possibility of additional revenue for the game.
Perfectly said!!!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
03.12.2014 , 08:22 PM | #4340
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
They have already spoken though - page 1...the very first post here. This thread didn't start out asking IF it should happen...it started out asking WHEN it would.


I too would like to know when it's coming
Except that the devs have NOT spoken, despite your claims that they have.

Show me a quote from the devs stating that class swapping ( AC swapping) WILL be implemented and we can worry about "when". Until the devs state that they will happen, we have to worry about WHETHER they will happen.

I have yet to see even one quote from the devs stating that they WILL be implemented. Even the over year old quote you posted does NOT say they WILL be implemented, only that they will LIKELY be implemented. Will be and will likely be are NOT the same thing.