Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
11.18.2013 , 12:15 PM | #3741
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
How many is "plenty?" How many different players?
Over the course of my gaming experience, dozens. It seems to be the thing to do. I know I did it when I was leveling my Sorcerer as it gave me flexibility in play and allowed me to get into those Heroic groups easier.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
11.18.2013 , 12:17 PM | #3742
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
I think the point being made is that I know the abilities. You pick up maybe 2-3 abilities in a skill tree that you wouldn't have had access to before. While the actual skill tree itself does alter how you need to use your abilities, it is no different than changing from one spec to the next.

Now if I swap ACs, there are 10-20 different abilities specifically that change. Not to mention the function of the abilities that you have may be different. The switch from Vengeance to Immortal for Juggs isn't as big as Carnage to Immortal for instance.
If you swap spec from DPS to heal at 55 ( as I did with my Merc) you are presented with a whole new set of abilities in addition to a whole new role (which is the bigger deal). That's not any less dramatic than going from Merc heal to PT tank.

Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Over the course of my gaming experience, dozens. It seems to be the thing to do. I know I did it when I was leveling my Sorcerer as it gave me flexibility in play and allowed me to get into those Heroic groups easier.
You are lying to me or lying to yourself. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
11.18.2013 , 12:19 PM | #3743
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
If you swap spec from DPS to heal at 55 ( as I did with my Merc) you are presented with a whole new set of abilities in addition to a whole new role (which is the bigger deal). That's not any less dramatic than going from Merc heal to PT tank.


You are lying to me or lying to yourself. But whatever helps you sleep at night.
You don't like my answer, so you call me a liar. Typical forum poster. lol
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
11.18.2013 , 12:31 PM | #3744
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
If you swap spec from DPS to heal at 55 ( as I did with my Merc) you are presented with a whole new set of abilities in addition to a whole new role (which is the bigger deal). That's not any less dramatic than going from Merc heal to PT tank.
Actually, no, you have most of those abilities available to you in DPS spec. I've never healed on my merc, but take sorc for instance. You pick up 3 additional abilities in the healing tree, but dark heal and dark infusion (along with the self heal) are available to all sorcs. It would be no different thatn switching to a DPS spec where you will have 3 abilities you pick up to replace that one and have to scan the tree to learn the synergies. I'm not saying you could do it on the fly, but if you leveled through Lightning and tried to swap to Madness on the fly at 55, you'll do just as bad at your role. Which is still quite a bit better than you'd do in Deception as a Sin all of the sudden.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
11.18.2013 , 01:01 PM | #3745
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
Actually, no, you have most of those abilities available to you in DPS spec.
And you have the entire set of base class skills on both ACs.

So actually yes.

Quote:
but if you leveled through Lightning and tried to swap to Madness on the fly at 55, you'll do just as bad at your role. Which is still quite a bit better than you'd do in Deception as a Sin all of the sudden.
Thanks for helping prove my point. You can go from DPS to heal or tank right now (depending on base class). Adding AC change would allow going from heal to tank or tank to heal within two of the base classes in each faction. Wow, what a game breaker.

Mazikeen's Avatar


Mazikeen
11.18.2013 , 01:09 PM | #3746
WHY is this still an issue?

AC changes are not coming. This has been asked and answered.

If you want a different AC, roll an alt. Fun fact: if you roll alts you have more options in raiding because they don't share lockouts. I joined a guild last night and I told the guy how many characters I have (4 of which are 55 and raid-capable) he nearly crapped a brick.

Leveling in this game is not a difficult thing anymore. Between the double XP weekends, the boosts and the fact you can quest while waiting for a PvP/FP queue to pop you can get a steady stream of incoming XP if you do something other than sitting on the Fleet.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
11.18.2013 , 01:13 PM | #3747
Quote: Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
WHY is this still an issue?

AC changes are not coming. This has been asked and answered.
Where, exactly? The most authoritative (albeit old) information is that AC change is likely.

Savej's Avatar


Savej
11.18.2013 , 01:15 PM | #3748
Wow has three classes that can perform all three roles depending on spec. It's no different than having two except the class is more flexible, interesting and universally useful. I remember getting ppl that were occasionally confused about their roles in lowbie dungeons (same as here) but there was 0 confusion in endgame runs. There were weak players, but so what?

Kingsbount's Avatar


Kingsbount
11.18.2013 , 01:17 PM | #3749
Here's my opinion on AC change system (if this feature will be added. And damn i hope that this crap will never gonna fall on my head)

1. Adavnced class change can be applyed only once per account (or at least once per character)
2. Advanced class change can be made ONLY before reaching level 30 (Just to avoid "easy-leveling mode" and feel your class. If you didn't like it - you will be able to change it before its too late).
3. Advanced class change will cost 10000 CC. Not less.

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
11.18.2013 , 01:23 PM | #3750
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
And you have the entire set of base class skills on both ACs.

So actually yes.


Thanks for helping prove my point. You can go from DPS to heal or tank right now (depending on base class). Adding AC change would allow going from heal to tank or tank to heal within two of the base classes in each faction. Wow, what a game breaker.
I can't believe I have to go so far as to post all the differences to make a point, but I'm happy to oblige.

Warrior specific abilities:

Spoiler


Juggernaut only:

Spoiler


Marauder Only:

Spoiler



Immortal specific abilities:
Invincible
Backhand
Crushing Blow

Vengeance specific abilities:
Shatter
Impale

Carnage specific abilities:
Massacre
Gore

So, in playing a new spec you will obviously have to get a grasp on how the abilities work together to perform well, regardless of being the same AC or not. From there it's a matter of how familiar you are. Would it be easier to master Immortal from Vengeance with 3 new abilities or Carnage from Vengeance with 2 new abilities plus the entire list of Marauder specific abilities.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here