Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Nythain
05.27.2013 , 10:12 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by hchsiao View Post
Shadow and Sage are complete difference class. They aren't just sub class. Once a consular take a advance class they will no longer be consular and If you remove the advance class than they are no longer shadow or sage and back to square one as pre-advance class character.
Actually, once a consular takes an advance class, they still continue to learn base Consular abilities all the way through the game. Just saying.

Quote:
I also wonder if people consider the impact it will cause to raiding guild. No matter if it loot council or DKP, serious progress raiding guild have track everyone's gear progression in order to continue to progress. Can you image guild member, officers or even guild leader jack up all the loots when they switch their advance class.
If it was a serious raiding guild, I would expect the senior members and those in charge to be well informed of changes. I mean hell, it says on your frame what AC you are. If the guild leader messes something up, it's because they're an idiot.

Quote:
Do you think pug will free from it? There will people need (aka ninja) the gear they couldn't use yet only because they could switch their advance class tomorrow.
These would be teh same people who are already ninja looting things in the name of their companions or alternate toons. The type of person who will ninja loot flashpoint or ops gear because they plan on changing roles, is the same person who's probably already doing it for the alt they have that they needed to roll up to play the role they can't change to.

Quote:
Like I said.. I would support advance class change before lv 20. I think that is enough time for some one decide whenever they really like the class or not. People do make mistake when they pick advance class and some have no idea how a class turn out. Myself made mistake on picking advance class in beta. I picked Shadow instead Sage. I end up level shadow to lv 22 and found out I really hate it and re-level a sage to 44 before beta close. (I have 3 lv 50 sentinel before it.)
I could agree with most of this, but i would make it Pre-31 because lets face it, before level 30-31, there's not much distinguishment (made up word) goin on between them all.

Denzul
05.27.2013 , 10:32 PM | #132
So far I've only been given the impression that players want this implemented to avoid leveling or running through the same story line again. Bioware has given us xp boosts obtainable from both questing and CM along with a 5% boost for being in a guild. That's a 30% increase to XP on top of the space bar option. Yet that's still not good enough.

You want to buy your way into a different AC. There's those who has posted that they feel It would become Pay2win. There will also be players who will roar about having to pay to do this.Keep in mind this next point that I mention may not be your specific intention but players will abuse this feature

The fact that players can switch from dps to heal or dps to tank in WZ is bothersome to many (NOT ALL) now imagine if anyone can switch from tank to heals etc just before a WZ. That's perpetuating the issue. If a player learns a certain class is the most sought after for raids or pvp they will switch to said profession.

Imagine picking up a player for a WZ or raid and they haven't the slightest idea how to play their new found profession. We lose..that affects MY game play. We have to deal with enough bad players as Is not to add on players learning a class all over again. Even if the player is good..we now have twice as many smash monkeys as before and instantly no less.

That's not to mention all the other issues it will bring just to skip leveling. For longevity cutting out the grinding process in an MMO will likely shorten its lifespan.

These are not predictions...these are CONCERNS and possibilities. For what? So you won't have to level another character?

hchsiao
05.27.2013 , 11:05 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
Actually, once a consular takes an advance class, they still continue to learn base Consular abilities all the way through the game. Just saying.
True and False since I never train newer rank of double strike on my sage. However I do have to train newer rank of project on my shadow. (all 3 shadow spec use it.)

If it was a serious raiding guild, I would expect the senior members and those in charge to be well informed of changes. I mean hell, it says on your frame what AC you are. If the guild leader messes something up, it's because they're an idiot.
What if core members are extreme hardcore players with 100% attendance, know how to play every class. Officer / guild member decide to gear up those characters with range dps, healing, melee dps and tanking gear first? Rest of members whom are there to fill the raid can suck it and wait. Since core member can fulfill anything by simply switch, they don't necessary worry about piss off outsiders. They can even gear up core members faster during loot probation period of new recruits. Quite frankly I had a friend already did that in WOW as he has every class and he would play whatever class is short at raid day. The only difference is mains still receive loot ahead alts unless no one need that piece of gear.

No one will play Knight and Sith warrior as well since Consular or Smuggler or Trooper can fill any role in the holy trinity by switch around.

These would be teh same people who are already ninja looting things in the name of their companions or alternate toons. The type of person who will ninja loot flashpoint or ops gear because they plan on changing roles, is the same person who's probably already doing it for the alt they have that they needed to roll up to play the role they can't change to.
True however you don't give them even more reasons to do so. Besides players could sell all their sage gears after switch than decide to take Sage gear again once Dev buff Sage and nerf Shadow.

I could agree with most of this, but i would make it Pre-31 because lets face it, before level 30-31, there's not much distinguishment (made up word) goin on between them all.
I guess we can say before act 1 complete with level restriction. (since some may pvp their way to 55.) Or Dev could allow AC change at lv 55 however once character use the AC change that character will de-level back to lv 30s and force player to re-level through PVP, Space combat and chain run flashpoints.

Denzul
05.27.2013 , 11:14 PM | #134
There are a plethora of reasons/scenarios as to why this should not be included as opposed to one reason it should...which is Convenience.

Jeweledleah
05.27.2013 , 11:31 PM | #135
then give me an ability to transfer no longer obtainable unique items, legacy perks etc to my new character from my old one (no, they are not in collections interface, if they were, I wouldn't have that problem). personally I don't mind re rolling and playing the story again as much as I mind losing items and legacy perks that I unlocked on original character with AC I don't wish to play.

sometimes.. you think something is going to be fun and you are going to love it only to realize who wrong you were, but you cannot go back and make another choice.

its not about laziness (dear lord, I'm starting to seriously hate this word) - its about lost opportunities. (and this is also why I would prefer it to be a one time change. so that you think long and hard whether you actually want to make that change)

Nythain
05.27.2013 , 11:36 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by Denzul View Post
There are a plethora of reasons/scenarios as to why this should not be included as opposed to one reason it should...which is Convenience.
If you're going to boil down one side to one word, you really should boil down the other side... there's one reason it shouldn't be included, people don't want it to be. Convenience is a rather blanket phrase that covers multiple reasons/scenarios, so I'll use "Distaste" as a blanket phrase for the multiple anti reasons/scenarios. Everything I've heard is "It shouldn't be included because I don't think there's a need for it."

Beyond convenience, there's Revenue... I'm pretty sure EAware isn't hurting at this point, but extra revenue is never a bad thing. Revenue also counters a lot of the anti-arguments. With a hefty CC cost, a lot of the fears and concerns could be drastically lessened as the likelihood of everyone and their mother changing ACs every day or week at a real world cost $20 or more is lessened.

So far, I think both sides of the argument have about an equal valid list of pros/cons and that's probably why these threads propagate so far. For every good point for or against, there's an equal counter.

Denzul
05.27.2013 , 11:40 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
. (and this is also why I would prefer it to be a one time change. so that you think long and hard whether you actually want to make that change)
This! Thank you , This I have nothing against. this would bring a lot of the concerns to a bare minimum

Marb
05.27.2013 , 11:48 PM | #138
Offering an advanced class change service would be a lucrative back-end preparation for entirely new advanced classes that are monetized. New classes would only come in the form of new advanced classes, so this could be a way of selling them individually, along with many other features that could be added as part of a larger paid content addition. This would let free players buy specific features of the expansion that interest them, who would otherwise be turned off at the larger up front cost of an expansion pack.

As long as reasonable restrictions are put in place, I don't personally mind. I do think that this would be the easier alternative. The other one would be going back to the drawing board with advanced classes and enabling you to choose your advanced class at character creation (class stories continuing to be referred to as Sith Warrior, Smuggler, ect.) This would remove the confusing and redundant base class system.

It *is* a problem with terminology that confuses people, especially in a market dominated by a certain mmo.
Harbinger

Denzul
05.27.2013 , 11:54 PM | #139
If you're going to boil down one side to one word, you really should boil down the other side... there's one reason it shouldn't be included, people don't want it to be. Convenience is a rather blanket phrase that covers multiple reasons/scenarios, so I'll use "Distaste" as a blanket phrase for the multiple anti reasons/scenarios. Everything I've heard is "It shouldn't be included because I don't think there's a need for it."

Beyond convenience, there's Revenue... I'm pretty sure EAware isn't hurting at this point, but extra revenue is never a bad thing. Revenue also counters a lot of the anti-arguments. With a hefty CC cost, a lot of the fears and concerns could be drastically lessened as the likelihood of everyone and their mother changing ACs every day or week at a real world cost $20 or more is lessened.

So far, I think both sides of the argument have about an equal valid list of pros/cons and that's probably why these threads propagate so far. For every good point for or against, there's an equal counter.

I say convenience because so far the only reason I've seen people in this thread advocate it - is for just that, convenience. Sure they have many counter arguments to our concerns but what other reason do they want it implemented in the first place? To arbitrarily dismiss all the concerns with counter arguments doesn't make them any less valid concerns. They are still possibilities none the less.

In regards to revenue, that would work If the poster above suggestion was taken into account. A one time change and at a hefty cost. Then again players would still want more or complain there's a cost to begin with. but if allowed to do so multiple times you can't say you know the RL income of players or the amount of unspent CC or how many in game credits one has available to purchase from the GTN. So it'd have to be a VERY hefty price.

I still think it would hurt them overall. Any drastic option to remove/reduce the time spent leveling an alt, is months lost of playtime from that subscriber.

WarGame
05.27.2013 , 11:56 PM | #140
It's really going to be a question of do they just let you switch acs for $10-$15 or are they going to let commandos become sentinels for $10-$15.