Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor value and rating on orange gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Armor value and rating on orange gear?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

shinacarana
12.29.2011 , 09:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Bibdy View Post
It depends on the rating level of that mod. It's probably some simple math, but as the poster above says, the higher that rating number, the higher the armour value will be. So, if you get a mod that has a lower rating than the one already in your armour, don't replace it!
lol, I thought of that. I was thinking more in terms of future armor values when adding higher level armor plates to the suit.

Sorry if I'm dragging this off topic. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Jurisnoctis View Post
A Light Armor chestpiece with a rating of X, has more armor than a Light Armor Chestpiece with an armor rating of X-1.

Oragne, Blue, Epic, Green, whatever it is.

http://www.torhead.com/item/43jqBVm
vs
http://www.torhead.com/item/5GhvyxS

Different levels, same rating, different rarity, same armor.

AS LONG AS IT'S THE SAME ARMOR TYPE.

No, you will not be able to tank well in your slave girl set as a Juggernaught. Because it's going give you CRAP armor. Because it's light. Regardless of the mods you give it.

Does this answer every question?

And thanks for the links!
Squadron 367

ShinjiruTenshi
12.29.2011 , 11:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.
Have reported this in-game already and in several other threads it's mentioned. But modifications seem to randomly disappear from all sorts of Orange items! Please add this bug to the high in-game bug priority list as it is highly annoying and frustrating to keep losing items. (Once bugged, they won't be of any use anymore).

cidtheslayer
12.30.2011 , 07:12 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.
Then why have different base values for orange armour on the tooltips?

Ie I think light is 7 armour (before any mods), then medium is something like 14 and heavy is like 28/34.

If you take an empty orange item that is light and one that is heavy, the heavy has more armour. If you add the same mod to both the light and the heavy orange, the heavy still has more armour.

So I don't see how your post clarifies the concern. Cheers!
\.o. \.o. \.o.MASSASSI REBORN.o./ .o./ .o./
ịΞΞΞ||{███████████████████████████}

merkk
12.30.2011 , 09:09 PM | #24
I've been confused by this as well. I thought the armor rating on an armor mod was how much armor it ads to whatever item you are putting it in. Which really confused the hell out of me.

Is there any sort of calculation you can do to determine what exactly the armor value will be before you actually buy a mod? I know using the same armor piece if you swap in a new mod with a high armor rating you'll have a higher armor then you did before. But is there any way to tell exactly what armor value you'll get?

Thanks

Dasffion
12.30.2011 , 09:11 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by merkk View Post
I've been confused by this as well. I thought the armor rating on an armor mod was how much armor it ads to whatever item you are putting it in. Which really confused the hell out of me.

Is there any sort of calculation you can do to determine what exactly the armor value will be before you actually buy a mod? I know using the same armor piece if you swap in a new mod with a high armor rating you'll have a higher armor then you did before. But is there any way to tell exactly what armor value you'll get?

Thanks
I'm sure there's a formula, I haven't seen it yet, but an upgrade is an upgrade.

merkk
12.30.2011 , 09:13 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
I'm sure there's a formula, I haven't seen it yet, but an upgrade is an upgrade.
True - but sometime i want to compare it to a non-modable armor piece. Like - if i buy the mods for the orange robe i have, will it turn out better then the armor i have now? Would be nice if I could figure that out without actually having to buy the mods first and install them.

Thanks

ShinjiruTenshi
12.31.2011 , 12:28 AM | #27
The base armor of all orange items is the same. Every Light armor has for example 25 base armor. Every Medium 50 and every Heavy 100.

Orange items's (Armor pieces) armor scales with the level of the "Armoring" upgrade you put in.
Orange item's (Lightsabers) damage scales with the level of the "Hilt" upgrade you put in.

hope this clarifies. So you don't have to compare anything with taking out mods and stuff. Just compare the total stats and your good. As for stats, no orange item has stats of it's own. Every stat it has comes from the upgrades. So it's just a matter of calculating which ones you prefer or are better. And keep in mind the ''raw'' items are mere skeletons. They are just a graphical item with a name on it, and it's up to you to 'power it up'.

@Merkk, this means you can look at a lvl 15 orange item with no mods/armoring/enhancements/augments etc in it and that base armor is the base armor of all ur other items.

merkk
12.31.2011 , 01:33 AM | #28
Thanks for the reply. But either you misunderstood what i was asking, or i am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Lets say i see armor mod X available to buy for my robe. Lets say i also see a non-modable robe for sale. How can i tell which will have the higher armor? My orange robe with mod X in it, or the non-modable robe?

ShinjiruTenshi
12.31.2011 , 06:17 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by merkk View Post
Thanks for the reply. But either you misunderstood what i was asking, or i am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Lets say i see armor mod X available to buy for my robe. Lets say i also see a non-modable robe for sale. How can i tell which will have the higher armor? My orange robe with mod X in it, or the non-modable robe?
Well I tried to explain it's the same for all orange items of the same type (Light, medium or heavy). So for example you could buy/find a low lvl orange item, take all the mods out (wont cost more than a couple thousand credits, can get that in like 5 minutes). Then you see the base armor and then u can compare it with the non modable item?

merkk
12.31.2011 , 06:43 AM | #30
I meant how could i determine which would have the higher armor without having to first buy items (or pay to have them removed etc)