Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Concerns About Players Being Suspended

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Concerns About Players Being Suspended
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Alec_Fortescue
05.23.2013 , 08:19 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by AMightyKnight View Post
Many people never bother to look at the patch notes or any other information BW happens to release before patchday. Especially when it comes to the Cartel Market. In my guild the majority doesnt care about the GTM and barely looks at other patchnotes.
Expecting people reading through pages and pages of CM update notes to figure out how a system is intented to work is just silly.
They just log on and try it out.
We read through patch notes and the only thing leading to any sort of exploits is mention of making white crystals non-reversable.
http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 Please thank me for a victorious five-year fight for traditional Jedi robes in SWTOR.

tiennen
05.23.2013 , 08:23 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by metaIsaber View Post
What I'm shocked is that they should have had a preliminary discuss about this.

Didn't someone say, "Hey we have xxx people that we are about to give a 1 week ban who are potentially subscribers and have bought cc with real money. Do we want to risk lose a lot of subs during a time where it looks like the game is in a little bit of a rebound?"
This.

Worst PR move ever. Unless the bans are legit, which I'm leaning towards "no" on that.
Quote:
Complainers gonna Complain

Master-Nala
05.23.2013 , 08:23 AM | #103
Many people never bother to look at the patch notes or any other information BW happens to release before patchday. Especially when it comes to the Cartel Market. In my guild the majority doesnt care about the GTM and barely looks at other patchnotes.
Expecting people reading through pages and pages of CM update notes to figure out how a system is intented to work is just silly.
Lack of due diligence is almost never a sufficient defense. This is a situation where the likely standard being used is 'did you know or SHOULD you have known what you were doing was an exploit'. I'm not saying that is fair or unfair, but fairness may not be the overarching consideration at play here.

Samoth_Nomad
05.23.2013 , 08:25 AM | #104
I'm just gonna leave this little gem here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=639684

When players asked if mailing crystals to an alt was an exploit, BW had no comment.

screenshot in case it goes down:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/fles10.jpg

Alec_Fortescue
05.23.2013 , 08:32 AM | #105
Bet you they're gonna give clarifications after bans expire. So much for my affection and support for this game. See you everyone. To think I was such a big spender...
http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 Please thank me for a victorious five-year fight for traditional Jedi robes in SWTOR.

Ratajack
05.23.2013 , 08:32 AM | #106
BW provided plenty of information in this case as to how the feature was designed to work. Tell me again how a player choosing not avail themselves of the information that BW provided in abundance makes it BW's fault.

At what point do people actually grow up, accept responsibility and stop trying to blame someone else for their own actions or inactions.

Ratajack
05.23.2013 , 08:35 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
We read through patch notes and the only thing leading to any sort of exploits is mention of making white crystals non-reversable.
How is using a legacy weapon to get around having to pay the CC for the account wide unlock not an exploit? Especially since you KNEW, by your own admission, how the collections interface was designed to work.

Alec_Fortescue
05.23.2013 , 08:37 AM | #108
Just considering the amount of people NOT SUSPENDED who had fun with the crystals ( i can name someone who moved dozens) and are still enjoying the game - I hope it's not the issue everyone is assuming it is.

curtkram
05.23.2013 , 08:40 AM | #109
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Radzkie View Post
So...I didn't get banned or anything but I'm wondering something...

My friend has a sage and sorc lv 55. She has a legacy hilt with BiS mods that she sends between the two. If she used a duped crystal in her shared legacy hilt, would she get banned? Is sharing legacy gear between characters now dangerous?

Uhm... I'm going to text her now actually and warn her about this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
I would recommend telling your friend to avoid doing ANYTHING with Collections -- specifically crystals -- until we get further notice.

Those seem to be the two major things that are related in all of the accounts of bannings. Best to avoid them -- and I wish BW would give people enough information so they didn't end up banned.
this is where i think their problem is. if the 'exploit' is what i understand it to be (there are sort of a couple things i think it could be), then it's not something i would have considered an exploit at all. at least it's not much worse than bioware accidentally leaving dyes from the collectors edition vendor unbound.

what they're really doing wrong is spreading fear and paranoia. the game should be fun, because it's a game and that's what games do. Radzkie and his friend should not be worried about being banned for doing nothing wrong, and they should not have to avoid or tiptoe around the features bioware gave them. that doesn't make sense to me.

if there is a real exploit, then i understand they have to find a solution, then implement the solution, and limit the player base from taking advantage while that occurs. i understand that requires some secrecy and i understand it takes time. what i don't understand is why bioware is approaching the problem in such a way as to create an environment of fear and paranoia.

first of all it looks to me like the problem is not a real problem and many of these people shouldn't be banned in the first place. crystals stay bound, unless there is a way to unbind them (that would be an exploit). you can't dupe them and put them on gtn in the current system. the amount of credits you get from RE or vendoring something like that is pretty limited and spreading crystals to your alts is limited to your account and server.

second, there was collateral damage that could have been avoided by having real people try to find out what happened in each case. don't ban people unless your sure that individual did whatever the crime was, and don't call it a crime unless a reasonable person might assume it's a crime.

third, and probably most important, don't let it blow so far out of proportion. now people who are absolutely and completely innocent of whatever went wrong are afraid of getting banned for nothing. not just the forum people, but guildmates of people who were banned without knowing why. that really hurts player's ability to trust the developers and community team. this was not some organic thing that just happened. this whole thing was created by decisions made by bioware staff, and in my opinion it was bad decisions that hurt what appears to be a lot of their customers.

Ratajack
05.23.2013 , 08:44 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Samoth_Nomad View Post
I'm just gonna leave this little gem here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=639684

When players asked if mailing crystals to an alt was an exploit, BW had no comment.

screenshot in case it goes down:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/fles10.jpg
I would not use the fact that there was no official response as justification that it was not an exploit. A good rule to follow is "if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is".

In this case, we can unlock a crystal and create multiple copies for that character, and we can also pay CC's to unlock it account wide. I would hope that any reasonable person would think that avoiding having to pay the CC's to get, in effect, the same benefit that an account wide unlock would provide would be "too good to be true".