Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Fixing Shadow Tank Spikiness

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Naldash
06.21.2013 , 10:09 PM | #171
Unfortunately my money is on no fix. I believe a fix will come but not for awhile.

I am thumbs up for a fix to this btw. I have really seen evidence of the problem since tanking S&V HM.

A DR bonus in our skill tree is probably the best since we have a lot of extra damage skills we could shed if we want to PVE or keep the damage skills and not the DR if we want to PVP. This may not be a straight across trade off but covered over multiple skills. Who knows. What I do know is that bioware/EA should be taking any help offered to them for FREE to help solve imbalance but should take the time needed to explore a proper fix.
"I Love hitmen. No matter how much you hurt them you never feel bad" Sin City

Botho
06.22.2013 , 10:37 AM | #172
I move for a vote of no confidence in chancellor Musco's leadership

Kitru
06.22.2013 , 11:47 AM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Botho View Post
I move for a vote of no confidence in chancellor Musco's leadership
Musco isn't in charge of anything except for community interaction (and I'm not even sure he's actually in charge of that). The no confidence vote would actually have to be directed at Peckenpaugh, though I would want to wait at least until 2.2.1 before seconding your move (and abstaining if the vote were called early; isn't Parliamentary Procedure fun!).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

TheStampede
06.22.2013 , 11:40 PM | #174
Quote:
isn't Parliamentary Procedure fun!
Useful in small forums (see what I did there?).

Just popping in to say that I am still leveling an assassin tank, but coming from WoW I had done a lot of theorycrafting and work on min/maxing tanks from Vanilla up through MoP. I have found you, Kitru and Keyboardninja, to have a refreshing and earnest theorycrafting and sharing style.

I'm not as mathematically inclined to build and test models, but do not have trouble following the explanations you provide around your models. In addition, you provide your methodology, so if I really want to take an afternoon (ya its that bad for me) to slog through it, I can.

I rarely encounter folks so willing to share, and so able to be lucid and concise. Thanks for your contributions.

tXHereticXt
06.23.2013 , 07:46 AM | #175
Is 5% DR on Discharge/Breach enough though? I mean throughout all we've lost 55% to our armor (35 from Dark Charge/Combat Technique way back when and now 20% from our trait) which seems to greatly out way the 5% DR that would be given.

Honestly at this point I'd like to see my 20% at least or even 15.

Kitru
06.23.2013 , 08:17 AM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by tXHereticXt View Post
Is 5% DR on Discharge/Breach enough though?
It's been mathed several times. It doesn't seem like *much*, but it's all we need. In fact, to preserve mean mitigation rather than improve it, it should be 4% which *still* reduces spikiness enough for it not to be a problem while still being spikier than the other tanks.
My New Class Idea

Kitru
06.23.2013 , 08:37 AM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by TheStampede View Post
I rarely encounter folks so willing to share, and so able to be lucid and concise. Thanks for your contributions.
The communities for other games I've played have been pretty willing to share their optimization/analysis models with the sole exception of WoW, so I think, as far as to how freely theorycrafters are willing to share, WoW is more of the exception than the rule.

I'm also not sure that I've ever been called "concise". I generally get referred to as being exceptionally verbose (of course, I'm verbose because I try to explain everything and explore the given possibilities and reasons, with a heavy emphasis on parenthetical statements to bring my inner monologue to the debate, all of which contributes to the lucidity and comprehensibility). As my signature says, I really *do* love Walls of Text.
My New Class Idea

Eternalnight
06.24.2013 , 05:54 AM | #178
What I have been thinking for a while is how would self healing that scales with incoming damage work?

That is changing the self-heals so that they heal based on a percentage taken immediately before the self-heal is activated.

There should of course be some minimum amount of healing caused that is not affected by damage taken, that would pretty close to what they are now, perhaps slightly lower, but there should also be a component to the self healing that heals you for a percentage of damage taken within last 2 seconds, allowing the self-heals to be noticeably bigger immediately after large damage spikes.

This would alleviate spikiness a little bit and also do something about the old common complaint that self healing does not scale with incoming damage.

Botho
06.24.2013 , 06:13 AM | #179
Sounds like it would be to complex for them to do if im honest. I think they shouldnt really lean towards self healing more than already, except for scaling the Combat Technique heal properly. The simplest most straight forward way i think is as ppl say about 4-5% DR in the tree, probably high high up the tree to make it unreachable witout full or near full tank spec.

Eternalnight
06.24.2013 , 07:26 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Botho View Post
Sounds like it would be to complex for them to do if im honest. I think they shouldnt really lean towards self healing more than already, except for scaling the Combat Technique heal properly.
No, it would not be too complex. Things like that have been done in other games and it would not be any harder to do here as this game also logs all the relevant information about every action that affected the player so it would be simple matter to just retrieve that information about damage taken from last couple of seconds and make the self healing scale with that.

And people have been asking for Combat Technique heals to scale properly for ages (currently they don't scale with anything) but I really don't want just another heal that heals for a percentage of max health.
A heal that scales with incoming damage would be more welcome.

And it's not all about going for more healing. I wouldn't mind the overall healing to be very slightly lowered if in exchange we could get bigger heals just after larger spikes of damage taken.

This would not have to exclude the possibility to do other changes to lower spikiness either.

And I was thinking more of the Combat Technique/Dark Charge heals specifically to be changed to work this way.
I would not necessarily change the heal from TkT/FL with 3 stacks at all.