Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FPO/AP Billing

Cynte
12.21.2011 , 04:14 AM | #1
Is it possible to set up a payment subscription for military overseas? FPO/AP address?

The zip code is American, but there is nothing under State for FPO/AP.

Unoobis
12.21.2011 , 04:40 AM | #2
I'm glad someone else is posting this as well. I'm stationed in the UK and I am having the same issue. I have played other MMOs like WoW and RIFT and they have not given me this problem. Even if the game does not have an AE option for the state spot usually I can put in the state where it gets dropped off in the states for the military to take it from there and that does not work as well. I hope someone has an answer for us. I also submitted a ticket in-game under billing and I am still waiting for an answer.

Aalwein
12.23.2011 , 05:40 AM | #3
EA apparently has a problem supporting its troops. From a US Air Force base in Japan I had to jump through VPN hoops just to get onto the Origin store to order my copy of SWTOR. To top it off, I had to jump through Paypal hoops to get subscribed.

Yes, all they need to do is add our overseas base zip codes / states to the database and we'd be fine. Apparently EA just doesn't care.
Aalwein | Jaberwocky
Die by the Blaster | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Psychon
12.23.2011 , 06:13 AM | #4
Agree. I'm military stationed in Korea and also had to jump through several hours of hoops to subscribe. I was very disappointed that the subscription billing page did not include "APO AP, APO AE, APO AA" as state options.

EA/Bioware, I can assure you that many military folks stationed overseas want to play this game. MMORPGs got me through my deployment in Iraq and helped keep me sane. Please take action on this to make it a little less daunting to subscribe and pay for the right to play this game ... please?

Aieny
12.23.2011 , 06:20 AM | #5
Oohh, ouch....I haven't had to deal with that in a while, but I feel for you. I'm subscribed using my card, so I don't know, but does using PayPal as the payment source still require you to enter billing information on the site? If not, then you can always use PayPal, because I'm fairly confident they use APO and FPO addresses for military personnel.

Other times when I couldn't use AE in the entry form, I would use NY for the state (stations in Norfolk, VA, where the USS Enterprise zip code was 09543, a NY code). So, I would enter FPO, NY 09543. Perhaps this is something else to consider?

Psychon
12.23.2011 , 08:31 AM | #6
PayPal was the final, yet imperfect, solution for me. But, it worked. Also, you can't use APO NY or APO CA on the subscription form, mostly because your address must match your actual billing address. Trust me, I tried many, many times.

I actually had another credit card with a stateside billing address I hadn't updated yet--but the subscription site would not accept it (and, yes, it was a valid card with no balance).

Again, I really hope EA/Bioware works quick to fix this small (population-wise), yet annoying issue. I never had any issues with subscribing to and playing World of Warcraft at any overseas deployed location I've been to over the past 4 years.

I just want to play and use the credit card I prefer using. I'm not a fan of PayPal at all--but that's a topic for another thread.

Aieny
12.23.2011 , 10:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychon View Post
PayPal was the final, yet imperfect, solution for me. But, it worked. Also, you can't use APO NY or APO CA on the subscription form, mostly because your address must match your actual billing address. Trust me, I tried many, many times.

I actually had another credit card with a stateside billing address I hadn't updated yet--but the subscription site would not accept it (and, yes, it was a valid card with no balance).

Again, I really hope EA/Bioware works quick to fix this small (population-wise), yet annoying issue. I never had any issues with subscribing to and playing World of Warcraft at any overseas deployed location I've been to over the past 4 years.

I just want to play and use the credit card I prefer using. I'm not a fan of PayPal at all--but that's a topic for another thread.
If you aren't currently deployed, you could get a post office box near base (or your home if you live off-base) and set your billing address to that. Once I had finished my training (moving every 3-6 months for nearly two years, ugh), I got a PO Box so I wouldn't have to rely on ship's mail to reach me when I was in port. When I was deployed, I simply had a temporary forward set up on the mailbox to send me my mail on the ship.

At the stateside card, you should have at least $1 on it for the sub site to take it...they do a pre authorize on the card for $1 to verify it is a legitimate card.

Aieny
12.23.2011 , 10:51 AM | #8
Spoiler

Oh, ouch, nevermind.......I was just in the Contact, not subscription. Ugh.

Aieny
12.23.2011 , 11:02 AM | #9
Here's a ghetto workaround you can try, if you are up for a little bit of, shall we say, minor hacking? I'm not guaranteeing it will work, only it is something to try.

Spoiler