Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Serious Tharan Cedrax romance, anyone?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Serious Tharan Cedrax romance, anyone?

Yermog
05.18.2013 , 12:15 PM | #1
So I have to say that I don't particularly like playing Jedi Consular. It might just be me, but the FemCon's voice sounds really dull and emotionless. I didn't enjoy her character until Tharan came along. Then instead of sounding bored, she sounded more exasperated and calm compared to Tharan's constant dramatic-ness. It was actually pretty funny, and when there was a flirt option, I immediately jumped all over that. And then came the punchline.

He chose a computer-holo girl over my Consular. I was pissed, let me just say. I like him a lot better than Iresso, because he makes the bland Consular seem more animated, and Iresso just doesn't do it for me.

I know a lot of people would like to see him as a gay romance option as well, and I like that, too. But I really hope that in a future expansion they let him be a serious romance, because that would rock. Am I the only one who's hoping this comes along, or is everyone happy with Iresso and just a friendship with Tharan?

Darth_Wicked
05.18.2013 , 01:02 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Yermog View Post
So I have to say that I don't really like playing Jedi Consular. It might just be me, but the FemCon's voice sounds really dull and emotionless. I didn't really like playing her until Tharan came along. Then instead of sounding bored, she sounded more exasperated and calm compared to Tharan's constant dramatic-ness. It was actually pretty funny, and when there was a flirt option, I immediately jumped all over that. And then came the punchline.

He chose a computer-holo girl over my Consular. I was pissed, let me just say. I like him a lot better than Iresso, because he makes the bland Consular seem more animated, and Iresso just doesn't do it for me.

I know a lot of people would like to see him as a gay romance option as well, and I like that, too. But I really hope that in a future expansion they let him be a serious romance, because that would rock. Am I the only one who's hoping this comes along, or is everyone happy with Iresso and just a friendship with Tharan?
Although I agree with your assessment, I also believe it was intentional. I'm on my 2nd Consular right now, this one being male and knowing the person behind the voice acting, Nolan North, he sounds almost like another person entirely, having in mind the roles he's known for. Some hate this approach, others like... I, at the moment, got used to it already.

Concerning Tharan, I'm happy my female Consular got the deed with Iresso. Although he's the stereotypical republic soldier, fighting for freedom and equality, at least he's basically alright and bearable, while Tharan is just obnoxious in my book.
Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link FAQ )
Quote: Originally Posted by The Devoted Ones ( AKA, Raving Mad )
THEY'RE RUINING EVERYTHING! I SEE IT. WE SEE. BUT THEY DON'T SEE.
THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE EYES!

SW_display_name
05.18.2013 , 01:46 PM | #3
Agreed that Iresso is a completely terrible romance option.

He's pleasant and inoffensive as a disposable random companion character, but when I realized he was my romance option, I was like... ugh, god no.

And, true to expectations, his "romance" was the flattest, blandest thing I've ever experienced. The sudden jumps to constant declarations of "I love you" after a few flings on the ship also creeped the crap out of me.

Dark Side threesomes with Theran and Holiday would definitely help spice up the vanilla ice-milk Consular plot, too.

Yermog
05.18.2013 , 03:27 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
Agreed that Iresso is a completely terrible romance option.

He's pleasant and inoffensive as a disposable random companion character, but when I realized he was my romance option, I was like... ugh, god no.
I mean, I don't hate the guy or anything. He's a pleasant guy, as you say, but I feel like the romance between him and the consular was founded mostly on boredom. "Well, nothing better to do. Might as well flirt with Iresso."

It was surprising because the other romances are all really different, and except for a few issues, they're pretty well done. Doc's struggle with his growing love for the Knight vs his love of freedom, for example. I think Iresso had potential, but I have a feeling that his was handled last and by that time the writers were sick of the romances.

Just my theory on that. Tharan's would have been much more dramatic, as he cares deeply for Holiday... but she's not real. The consular is real. I really wish they had him struggle with that in a romance. Like, a real romance, not a one night stand type thing.

SW_display_name
05.18.2013 , 03:34 PM | #5
Just my theory on that. Tharan's would have been much more dramatic, as he cares deeply for Holiday... but she's not real. The consular is real. I really wish they had him struggle with that in a romance. Like, a real romance, not a one night stand type thing.
Exactly. Theran is the most interesting thing in the Consular plot by a long kilometer, and the twisted knots of romancing him would have made for a great plot.

Iresso is exactly like you say "Well, I'm here, you're here, we're biologically compatible, guess we may as well get to it. Oh, look, Tobas Grell prepared homemade frogurt! That crazy guy! Oh, by the way, I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you."

The Consular ship is like an NBC sitcom.

Gwena
05.18.2013 , 03:38 PM | #6
Well, TBH I'd rather have my female Consular romance Zenith, of the bunch. My first Consular was male, and having done all the conversations for Iresso, I found him rather uninteresting. Not a bad guy or anything, just not what I would hope for as a romantic foil for the prone-to-blandness Consular. Needless to say, my girl Consular will remain single.

With Tharan, it seems to me that they clearly designed him to be NOT fully romanceable with the way his story played out, so I can't see that changing. I did find him rather endearing, and can see the potential there, though personally I wouldn't be interested in him becoming a full romance option unless Bioware decided to open up Companions for full romance en masse (Pierce, LS Jaesa, Talos, Zenith, Sgt. Rusk, etc). Otherwise, one somewhat lecherous male medic romance option is enough for the poor Jedi ladies! xD
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Yermog
05.18.2013 , 03:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwena View Post
Well, TBH I'd rather have my female Consular romance Zenith, of the bunch. My first Consular was male, and having done all the conversations for Iresso, I found him rather uninteresting. Not a bad guy or anything, just not what I would hope for as a romantic foil for the prone-to-blandness Consular. Needless to say, my girl Consular will remain single.

With Tharan, it seems to me that they clearly designed him to be NOT fully romanceable with the way his story played out, so I can't see that changing. I did find him rather endearing, and can see the potential there, though personally I wouldn't be interested in him becoming a full romance option unless Bioware decided to open up Companions for full romance en masse (Pierce, LS Jaesa, Talos, Zenith, Sgt. Rusk, etc). Otherwise, one somewhat lecherous male medic romance option is enough for the poor Jedi ladies! xD
OMG ZENITH. YES. COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT HIM.

Now that would be interesting. Since he seems to lean more towards the Dark Side in his quests, it would be even more of a battle for the Consular to keep herself grounded while not falling too far. He'd be a Dark Sided romance I think.

As far as all the companions being romancable, I can see why they don't do that. Some characters, like Rusk IMO, are too one minded to think about romance and love. Some of the characters, it's just not for them.

I would like to see in the future new romances open up if you aren't locked into one already. IE, like if you aren't married, Theran or Zenith or who have you ask why you're still single and you can start a romance with them. Or if they actually implement a divorce plot like one staffer said in an interview, different people become available.

Gwena
05.18.2013 , 04:35 PM | #8
As far as all the companions being romancable, I can see why they don't do that. Some characters, like Rusk IMO, are too one minded to think about romance and love. Some of the characters, it's just not for them.

I would like to see in the future new romances open up if you aren't locked into one already. IE, like if you aren't married, Theran or Zenith or who have you ask why you're still single and you can start a romance with them. Or if they actually implement a divorce plot like one staffer said in an interview, different people become available.
I definitely see your point about all the (human-ish) Companions being romanceable! I don't actually "know" all the ones I mentioned, just pulling ones off the top of my head that were human-ish. I suppose it is a sore spot of mine that every single biologically female Companion is potentially available to romance (including a vengeful Mandalorian and a grieving young Padawan), but there are quite a few male Companions that you'd think would be good romance options but are not written as romanceable or even having a mindset that would work for romance. "Sorry ladies, you can't romance that one because of reasons! that we wrote! on purpose!" But there's a whole lot more to that topic and I won't get into it here.

A lot of lost potential with some like Tharan and Zenith, though. Would be neat if they someday added at least a few romance options, like you mentioned would be awesome.
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Yermog
05.18.2013 , 04:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwena View Post
I definitely see your point about all the (human-ish) Companions being romanceable! I don't actually "know" all the ones I mentioned, just pulling ones off the top of my head that were human-ish. I suppose it is a sore spot of mine that every single biologically female Companion is potentially available to romance (including a vengeful Mandalorian and a grieving young Padawan), but there are quite a few male Companions that you'd think would be good romance options but are not written as romanceable or even having a mindset that would work for romance. "Sorry ladies, you can't romance that one because of reasons! that we wrote! on purpose!" But there's a whole lot more to that topic and I won't get into it here.

A lot of lost potential with some like Tharan and Zenith, though. Would be neat if they someday added at least a few romance options, like you mentioned would be awesome.
I understand that frustration. Yeah, most male characters get more romance options than girls do, it's true. But I don't mind so much myself because all of the female romances (with the exception of Iresso) are done very well. Making all the male companions romancable is just not a good plan, especially since some of them are, to put it lightly, insane. Some people have a little bit of a torch for Khem Val, the force-eating, Sith killing Deshade you pick up on Korriban as a SI. The big issue with this is that he wants to EAT THE INQUISITOR. And not in the fun way, ifyouknowwhatImean.

Gwena
05.18.2013 , 05:09 PM | #10
Oh, I totally agree, especially since there are so many more human-ish male Companions that females. I've never considered ones like Khem to be human-ish though. *shudders*

Ones like Tharan are much more reasonable to wish for!