Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the old republic not old enough?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is the old republic not old enough?

Yermog
05.18.2013 , 11:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jemfisto View Post
Well this does take place 300 years after KOTOR. Have you read the Revan novel? Because the JK story is heavily tied in and basically IS kotor3.
No, I wasn't aware there was a novel. I'll take your word for it on the JK storyline, but for the rest of it, it's just different lives played out in different ways that don't have much, or even anything, to do with Revan so far. Maybe if I had read the book it would feel more connected to KOTOR, but right now, not so much.

ObiWanBaikonur
05.19.2013 , 03:15 PM | #12
Also, there are several references to "Clan Ordo" in the Bounty Hunter story (as in Canderous Ordo) and you even can check out Canderous's skull as a smuggler. It's on the treasure ship and has a hole in it, poor guy--went out fighting, let's hope!

The smuggler also delivers the head of Darth Bandon in Chapter 1 to a client on Alderaan. That's Darth Bandon, Malak's padawan who attacked Revan on Korriban in KotOR 1.

I know I've seen a few more sprinkled nods to the original, such as a Miraluka jedi with the last name Marr (Visas Marr's descendent, perhaps??) and of course the more copious mentions of Revan throughout (Revanites on Dromond Kaas, Infinity Engine quest on Nar Shadda, Maelstrom, The Foundry, etc.)
"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Follow my adventures in the Republic of Georgia!

Jemfisto
05.19.2013 , 06:36 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Yermog View Post
No, I wasn't aware there was a novel. I'll take your word for it on the JK storyline, but for the rest of it, it's just different lives played out in different ways that don't have much, or even anything, to do with Revan so far. Maybe if I had read the book it would feel more connected to KOTOR, but right now, not so much.
Please check it out. Its awesome. I heavily recommend the audiobook for music and sound effects, plus you can listen while you play TOR!

Darth-Obvious
05.20.2013 , 11:39 AM | #14
What you seem to want is basically Kotor 3 or a BW developed Kotor 2. A lot of things are the way they are in TOR because it's an MMO. Everything else is always going to come second to that fact.

Note the reason the game is set 300 years later was to intentionally create distance from all that existing content so that they wouldn't have to explain all that stuff in game and could give themselves some breathing room.

Oh and Bastila Shaun plays a part in the Jedi Consular storyline. Most of the class storylines dont have anything to do with KOTOR though and there's really no reason to. Hell there's really not much of a reason to explain any of that stuff in game. What is there was done as fan service, ie The Revanites.

The KOTOR series isn't meant to be the Revan series. Of the 3 games only 1 focused on him.

psandak
05.20.2013 , 11:50 AM | #15
When I launched the game for the first time (over a year ago now) the first thought that popped into my head was, "man technology has not changed much in 3000 years ." But as others have said, the reasoning is simple, they wanted the game's ambient design to resemble the movies as closely as possible so that anyone walking off the street would instantly know what side was what. Not everyone who plays this game has played KOTOR or read the EU.

Yermog
05.20.2013 , 01:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
What you seem to want is basically Kotor 3 or a BW developed Kotor 2. A lot of things are the way they are in TOR because it's an MMO.
No, that's not what I want from these games. I like them as thy are. I was simply stating that there is, overall, little to do with the KOTOR games since they (the devs) figure the big bucks are in movies. I don't mind it. I was saying it in response to someone saying that he could see KOTOR influences in the game.

guardiandashi
05.20.2013 , 02:46 PM | #17
don't get me wrong there are a lot of aspects that I like and some that really bug me as a star wars fan

the ones that have jumped out at me

the "empire cap ships and shuttles" showing definatel links to equipment that was NEW designs for the galactic empire
troops whos armor looks an awful lot like storm trooper /clone trooper gear
the same manufactures around that are around in the ANH era (I get really suspicious when corrilian enterprises is still making ships after ~4000 years or more?

Pernicia
05.21.2013 , 12:05 AM | #18
Spoiler ahead.

I don't see nearly enough of KOTOR as they advertised. They have Pureblood Sith in other incarnations. They have Taris, the have Tatooine, everything in the game they have somewhere else. Revan is mentioned a few times in the game, but not nearly enough to make me think that what he did has really impacted the current playthroughs. None of the classes stories have to do with Revan. And (SPOILER ALERT) in the one instance where Revan shows up, he dies. And none of his companions outside of HK-51, who is just a model of HK-47, is even mentioned, at least not in the main stories.

It feels like they toss his name around a few times, but in a passing comment kind of way. "Revan was here once, now lets move on to something else important."

I'm sorry, I just don't see enough of KOTOR in there for me to feel like this is a true sequel.
Here's the thing, this was never intended to be a true sequel to KOTOR. It's more of a spiritual successor if you will. KOTOR was the story of Revan. That game is done and his story over. SWTOR is the story of Darth Nox / The Barsen'thor / The Commander of Havoc / Cipher Nine, etc. It was always advertised as such too; I'm not sure why you're thinking it was.
Pernici the Furious
<Night Stalkers>
Server: The Harbinger

cool-dude
05.21.2013 , 03:30 AM | #19
World War I occurred over 100 years ago. No one today ever hardly talks about it anymore, because hardly anyone cares. Revan and everything he did was about 300 years before SWTOR. The new generations simply do not talk about him, his name, actions, and importance has faded with time.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

Fyurii
05.21.2013 , 03:50 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by cool-dude View Post
world war i occurred over 100 years ago
1914-1918
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾