Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gomerik's 2.0 Sharpshooter Guide [PvE]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gomerik's 2.0 Sharpshooter Guide [PvE]

gunte
05.28.2013 , 03:02 AM | #21
"[*]Illegal Mods: Only during an XS window after casting XS for the extra armor penetration and to gain a bit of energy back."

XS deals elemental damage which allready bypasses armor and thus benefit nothing/nada/nihilo from extra armor penetration.
Aredun - Titans - The Red Eclipse EU
Glory is of no use to the dead.

Check out my youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/gunte11/videos

SamuelAU
05.28.2013 , 09:11 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by gunte View Post
"[*]Illegal Mods: Only during an XS window after casting XS for the extra armor penetration and to gain a bit of energy back."

XS deals elemental damage which allready bypasses armor and thus benefit nothing/nada/nihilo from extra armor penetration.
It's specified to use after you've cast XS Freighter Flyby and there are a few reasons for this.

The increased accuracy and armor pen is mainly for all of the attacks you'll use after casting XS, which will be SS, TS, 2 x CB, TS and you may even be able to squeeze in AS. Using this on top of your adrenal and relic, if applicable, gives you some major extra burst.

Second reason is casting XS Freighter Flyby instantly drops 30 energy and you're going to fall into moderate energy regen after using SS. Bumping up 15 energy (with PvE 2-piece set bonus) really helps your energy management and allows you to go the entire fight without using flurry of bolts.
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

gunte
05.29.2013 , 02:45 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
It's specified to use after you've cast XS Freighter Flyby and there are a few reasons for this.

The increased accuracy and armor pen is mainly for all of the attacks you'll use after casting XS, which will be SS, TS, 2 x CB, TS and you may even be able to squeeze in AS. Using this on top of your adrenal and relic, if applicable, gives you some major extra burst.

Second reason is casting XS Freighter Flyby instantly drops 30 energy and you're going to fall into moderate energy regen after using SS. Bumping up 15 energy (with PvE 2-piece set bonus) really helps your energy management and allows you to go the entire fight without using flurry of bolts.
I understand, it very much sounded like the armor pen was for XS by the way it was written
Aredun - Titans - The Red Eclipse EU
Glory is of no use to the dead.

Check out my youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/gunte11/videos

SamuelAU
05.29.2013 , 03:38 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by gunte View Post
I understand, it very much sounded like the armor pen was for XS by the way it was written
I can understand the confusion, I'll reword it now.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

Jurugu
05.31.2013 , 03:37 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Eidylon View Post
From what I recall you would need something like 700 alacrity to squeeze another ability into your rotation and would be giving up a lot of your stat budget to accomplish it.
Did a little bit of math myself. The usual shaprhooter rotation of

SS - TS - CB - CB - TS - AS - TS - <filler> - Repeat

with two points in Black Market Mods takes 12,35 seconds to execute (assuming the filler is just a single GCD). Getting that down to exactly 12 seconds would be a DPS gain of about 3 percent, and that can be achieved with 214 alacrity. Quite doable. Of course swapping 214 surge for alacrity will in turn lower the damage of each individual shot. So what is better in the end? Only a good simulation can tell for sure.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eidylon View Post
Most seem to be favoring power over all else with a return of .23 to bonus damage before any adjustments. There's a good discussion over at mmo-mechanics.com.
Gunslingers are the minority then with our talent that boosts Cunning by 9%. Combined with the 5% buff from consulars that makes skill augments the clear winner. Unless I misssed something.

SamuelAU
05.31.2013 , 10:31 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugu View Post
Did a little bit of math myself. The usual shaprhooter rotation of

SS - TS - CB - CB - TS - AS - TS - <filler> - Repeat

with two points in Black Market Mods takes 12,35 seconds to execute (assuming the filler is just a single GCD). Getting that down to exactly 12 seconds would be a DPS gain of about 3 percent, and that can be achieved with 214 alacrity. Quite doable. Of course swapping 214 surge for alacrity will in turn lower the damage of each individual shot. So what is better in the end? Only a good simulation can tell for sure.
I quickly had to validate the math and you're right, it's a touch under a 3% damage increase.

It's a bit more difficult to calculate the damage loss by dropping the 214 surge; it depends a lot on your gear level and stat distribution so I can't really speak for everyone though. I'd have to guess that it would be better to actually keep the surge because what you haven't yet considered is that SS, TS and QD benefit from +30% surge in the skill tree, and these abilities usually make up 52 to 58 percent of your total damage output.

Then you have other factors playing in from your rotation, such as BV providing a 10% activation speed increase for the duration and then small things like server lag. It can get messy when you try to calculate.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

Jurugu
06.03.2013 , 09:40 AM | #27
It can get messy when you try to calculate.
Exactly. Which is why I am advocating a simulation, not a calculation. I do not know whether you ever played WoW and are familiar with the program Simulationcraft that was developed for that game, but suffice to say that was one great and helpful tool.

SamuelAU
06.03.2013 , 09:58 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugu View Post
Exactly. Which is why I am advocating a simulation, not a calculation. I do not know whether you ever played WoW and are familiar with the program Simulationcraft that was developed for that game, but suffice to say that was one great and helpful tool.
I should be able to pull it off once I get some gear for my operative. I'll be able to send over some power/alacrity enhancements and swap surge out directly for alacrity. I'll keep you posted.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

Tromador
06.05.2013 , 01:02 PM | #29
I understand the talent tree and the rotations, largely common sense!

What I'm not getting is the gearing. I am not the worlds best at mathematics so it's a little unclear what is being suggested:

You should always stack power in favour of crit, since game update 2.0 made the DR so steep on crit to be almost worthless. If you can't avoid taking crit, I would go no higher than 150 critical rating.

When you're at the point of BiSing your gear, you should take accuracy and surge in equal measure. Until then, focus on getting accuracy to 100% ranged or as close to as possible and then add accuracy. The BiS power/accuracy enhancements are hard to come by so if you can, try to get accuracy from earpiece and implants to make things a bit easier on yourself.
Power not crit, surge not alacrity and build for 100% accuracy. I get that far, makes sense.

What I'm not seeing or understanding is the amount of power vs surge that gives the best overall DPS output.

ThomasCool
06.05.2013 , 01:05 PM | #30
It is a relatively simple question. You cannot really trade power for crit unless you are talking suboptimal enhancements. Using good enhancements (adept, initiative, acute, battle) you can only trade surge for accuracy