Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So.. Account Wide Datacrons

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.25.2013 , 08:10 PM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
So, where do they/you draw the line with allowing people to buy unlocks that add stats or boosts to characters?
It's a good question. And each person will have their own opinion. The suggestion I outlined above would fall behind the line I drew.

FabulousDoctor's Avatar


FabulousDoctor
05.25.2013 , 10:56 PM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
So, where do they/you draw the line with allowing people to buy unlocks that add stats or boosts to characters?
My line would be drawing the line at GASP what's already in the game! Like every single datacron, you dolt.

The whole reason people want this 'insignificant' stat boost is FOR when they're low level, because leveling your 9th character is boring as hell. I've got 6 level 50+s, and my 7th character has 400 presence. My companion (Kaliyo) literally one shots things that are within 1-2 levels of me, and can solo groups of two strongs + 3 normal. Hell, I took her into the Heroic 2's on Dromund Kaas and she could solo the mobs, while I was still equal level for when I should have got it.

Every time you argue that these stat boosts are unbalancing, you're acting like a fool, because news flash - the game is already unbalanced.

I'd argue that having it be an individual unlock that you have to buy with credits would be fine - we've already seen big credit sinks in the Legacy Menu, and if someone really wants to spend 3mil credits to get some stats that they've earned on another character, let them.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2013 , 09:14 AM | #313
Quote: Originally Posted by FabulousDoctor View Post
My line would be drawing the line at GASP what's already in the game! Like every single datacron, you dolt.

The whole reason people want this 'insignificant' stat boost is FOR when they're low level, because leveling your 9th character is boring as hell. I've got 6 level 50+s, and my 7th character has 400 presence. My companion (Kaliyo) literally one shots things that are within 1-2 levels of me, and can solo groups of two strongs + 3 normal. Hell, I took her into the Heroic 2's on Dromund Kaas and she could solo the mobs, while I was still equal level for when I should have got it.

Every time you argue that these stat boosts are unbalancing, you're acting like a fool, because news flash - the game is already unbalanced.

I'd argue that having it be an individual unlock that you have to buy with credits would be fine - we've already seen big credit sinks in the Legacy Menu, and if someone really wants to spend 3mil credits to get some stats that they've earned on another character, let them.
Draw the line at what is already in the game? That would eliminate the possibility of legacy wide datacrons because legacy wide datacrons are not in the game. Datacrons may be in the game, but legacy wide datacrons are not already in the game.

The class buffs are already in the game. If players are allowed to purchase boosts to their characters using a lagacy wide datacron feature, then why not allow people to purchase boosts to characters by allowing the class buffs to be purchased once a player unlocks the class buff on at least one character. After all, if someone wants to spend 300million credits (or a few CC's) to get an unlock they've already earned on another character, let them.

For that matter, as I said before, let's allow people to play some credits or CC's and create max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companion unlocks once they have already reached max level with one character, maxed all companion affection and unlocked all companions with that character. If someone wants to spend a few credits or CC's to reap the benefits of work they did with one character on new character, let them, right?

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
05.26.2013 , 04:21 PM | #314
The lack of legacy wide datacrons is one of the reasons to why I'm having a hard time leveling alts. First, I'm not a fan leveling, period. On top of this I'm suffering from small OCD disorder when it comes to completion.

So here you have a guy who doesnt want to level a char in the first place but when he does is feeling forced to do a bunch of crap, including getting the datacrons once again, for completion.

I don't really get what the nay-sayers are on about though. It's not hard or an accomplishment to get the datacrons, any idiot can look it up on YT, it's just a horribly boring time sink. If I wanted to jump around I would have played Mario instead.

Qaoz's Avatar


Qaoz
05.26.2013 , 05:13 PM | #315
I would definitely like account wide datacrons. I enjoy hunting the datacrons, but only the first time around.

The "when I was a kid, we had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow" crowd needs to take their arguments somewhere else. Unless you lack the ability to process experiences into memories, you're not going to find repetition fun. I can barely stand leveling another character, because I have to go through the same missions, on the same planets, in the same order as the last character. No way I'm going to go look for the same datacrons as well.

This game is already suffering from a pretty severe case of linearity. Let's try to make it less of a chore where possible, shall we?
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2013 , 05:19 PM | #316
Quote: Originally Posted by Qaoz View Post
I would definitely like account wide datacrons. I enjoy hunting the datacrons, but only the first time around.

The "when I was a kid, we had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow" crowd needs to take their arguments somewhere else. Unless you lack the ability to process experiences into memories, you're not going to find repetition fun. I can barely stand leveling another character, because I have to go through the same missions, on the same planets, in the same order as the last character. No way I'm going to go look for the same datacrons as well.

This game is already suffering from a pretty severe case of linearity. Let's try to make it less of a chore where possible, shall we?
The "I did it once on one character, and so should reap the benefits on every character I have" crowd wants to talk about the "when I was a kid, we had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow" crowd?

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
05.26.2013 , 05:24 PM | #317
The bonuses are so tiny that caring either way is absolutely laughable. You aren't going to succeed or fail in anything based on how many datacrons you've collected. If the bonus was substantial, there would be a point to this but it isn't.

When they add a 0 to the end of the bonus per datacron, they start mattering. You're all arguing for the sake arguing and most likely, feeding trolls.

Qaoz's Avatar


Qaoz
05.26.2013 , 05:37 PM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
The "I did it once on one character, and so should reap the benefits on every character I have" crowd wants to talk about the "when I was a kid, we had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow" crowd?
Give one good reason why every character should have to click the datacrons. One GOOD reason. None of that "because it's about effort, man". My one good reason why they shouldn't is this one:

Repetition is not fun.

When a game stops being fun, users stop wanting to play it. Ask any game publisher/developer in the history of ever. Now, if you can dispute this claim, I will bring forth another good reason, but first I'd very much like to hear (read?) yours.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.26.2013 , 06:20 PM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by Qaoz View Post
Give one good reason why every character should have to click the datacrons. One GOOD reason. None of that "because it's about effort, man". My one good reason why they shouldn't is this one:

Repetition is not fun.

When a game stops being fun, users stop wanting to play it. Ask any game publisher/developer in the history of ever. Now, if you can dispute this claim, I will bring forth another good reason, but first I'd very much like to hear (read?) yours.
You won't like it, but here's a reason for not adding legacy wide datacrons that is every bit as good as the one you gave in favor of legacy wide datacrons.

Handing things to people for free promotes laziness.

You can say that you found them once on one character, but if you want the benefits on all characters for finding them on one character, you are asking for those benefits to be handed to you for characters that did not find them.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.26.2013 , 06:34 PM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Would both enable a player to reap the benefits of one character's efforts on other characters? Would both enable players to skip certain portions of the game that they may not find enjoyable? They sound pretty comparable to me. They might differ in degree, but they ARE comparable.
However, the difference in degree is so remarkably vast, that it isn't going to convince anyone that isn't already on your side.

Let me rephrase. When you made the "slippery slope" argument, I could see your point. It seems as though you feel that the more "laziness" features are added to the game, the more demands will be made by lazy players, and it will eventually wind up with nothing left to do but spend cartel coins on unlocks.

I can follow this argument. In my personal estimation (and this is just opinion of course) the datacron unlock falls well within the current realm of what the devs have already put into the game, and will not, in fact, lead down that garden path you are worried about.

But when you talk about "unlocking an instant level 55 toon" it actually fights against your position. PetFish was snidely commenting on the misuse of the "Straw Man Argument", but it works in this sense.

It is defined as: "To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position"

I'm pretty sure that NOBODY in this thread that is in favor of a legacy datacron unlock is ALSO in favor of an instant-level-55 unlock. These two things are "superficially similar yet unequivalent"

I certainly don't want the instant level 55. I find the idea abhorrent. And yet, I am in favor of the legecay datacron unlock as laid out in an earlier post of mine.
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
...
1. Unlock all the datacrons doing them correctly. As in, every single one of them both Empire and Republic.
2. Once completed, you can then do a "Unlock Datacrons for your Legacy"
3. However, you have to pay for a separate unlock for each individual toon.
...
Can you see that these two things are different enough that it is possible to want one, and not the other?