Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So.. Account Wide Datacrons

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KarethRiker
05.21.2013 , 11:50 AM | #241
I'm on the record as pro legacy datacrons, but this seems like a very reasonable compromise. Maybe pair that with Legacy Level 50.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
If the bonuses are so minimal, then there should be no problem with waiting until you reach max level with a character before receiving them. You would only have to find the datacrons again on subsequent characters only if you wanted the bonus for that datacron before reaching max level.
Kareth Kalzeth Kairieth Karzeth Karyeth
Kelschuz Staccia Karjeth Karxeth
The Last Centurions - The Harbinger

Pistols
05.21.2013 , 11:51 AM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Elminster_cs View Post
Nice, nice, hope to see it soon!
Agreed.

Khevar
05.21.2013 , 12:04 PM | #243
Let me see if I understand you.

We already have unlocks in this game that:

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats
2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus
3. It panders to the lazy player - Such as repair droid, gtn on ship, etc.
4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

So, since there already exist in game unlocks which allow you gain permanent stat bonuses which is the same thing datacrons do, then a legacy datacron unlock should be in game.

A is in game now, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.
A is similar to B. Not the same. A professor of mine would call this a case of "Assumed identities are not identical".

A reason why a datacron unlock is similar to a +presence unlock is because they both boost the characters ability to defeat enemies at lower levels.

A reason why they aren't identical is that one affects your main toon and the other affects your companion. You see? Similar. Not the Same.

Note, I'm NOT saying this: "Because A is in the game, B is similar so it should also be in the game."

Instead, I'm saying this: "A is in the game. B is similar. Why are you objecting to B and not to A?"

My counter argument:

A legacy wide datacron unlock would allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have all characters rewarded as if all characters actually accomplished that task- in this case, finding the datacrons. Allowing the creation of max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companions unlocked once that player had accomplished that with one character would do the exact same thing-allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have a newly created character rewarded as if that newly created character had actually accomplished those tasks-in this case, reaching max level, maxing out all companion affection and unlocking all companions.

Therefore, B is the same as A. If they allow A to be in the game, then using your own argument:

A is in the game, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.
Again, assumed identities are not identical. They are similar. A datacron unlock allows one to get a benefit not achieved through doing work. An instant level 50 allows one to get a benefit not achieved through doing work.

Yet they are NOT identical. They differ vastly in terms of degree. A datacron unlock is a relatively minor boost, on a par with the presence bonus and the five +1% to stats. An instant level 50 is vast orders of magnitude greater than a datacron legacy unlock.

It seems you're trying to blow this way out of proportion. Now, let me remind you of the actual reason why I like the OPs idea:
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
If Bioware were to add this legacy option of sharing datacron unlocks, it would actually give me a new thing to do. Because it would be more valuable. I'd take the time go back and do all the jumping puzzles, if it were to unlock them for all 13 of my characters.

Now, the bonuses are insignificant enough that I could happily live without it. If they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal. But if they do, it would be cool for me, as it would suddenly raise my incentive to finally run them.
What do you think of this? It this reasonable?

Ratajack
05.21.2013 , 12:21 PM | #244
Now, let me remind you of the actual reason why I like the OPs idea:

What do you think of this? It this reasonable?

If Bioware were to add this legacy option of sharing datacron unlocks, it would actually give me a new thing to do. Because it would be more valuable. I'd take the time go back and do all the jumping puzzles, if it were to unlock them for all 13 of my characters.

Now, the bonuses are insignificant enough that I could happily live without it. If they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal. But if they do, it would be cool for me, as it would suddenly raise my incentive to finally run them.
If shared datacrons give a you reason to find them, then great. However, since the bonuses are insignificant enough that you could happily live without them and if they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal, then you should be willing to wait until max level to receive those actual stat bonuses.

Kilora
05.21.2013 , 12:24 PM | #245
Clearly there is no point in continuing the debate. The same thing is being said over and over again, and it is all irrelevant.

They will most likely put these in game. We don't know when. But we have a dev post specifically saying it is top of his wish list.

While we should keep it in the eyes of the community, mainly to keep it in BWs thoughts, arguing won't change it. I highly doubt the majority of players would be against it, and that is what matters to BW.

chriscshunter
05.21.2013 , 12:32 PM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by JesseSky View Post
We would really like to allow players to unlock datacrons at the Legacy level, and it's pretty high on my personal wishlist. We're still investigating the technical feasibility, so I can't make any promises.

Woooohooo! Made my day

Ratajack
05.21.2013 , 12:33 PM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Clearly there is no point in continuing the debate. The same thing is being said over and over again, and it is all irrelevant.

They will most likely put these in game. We don't know when. But we have a dev post specifically saying it is top of his wish list.

While we should keep it in the eyes of the community, mainly to keep it in BWs thoughts, arguing won't change it. I highly doubt the majority of players would be against it, and that is what matters to BW.
A single dev saying that it is at the top of HIS wish list is far from saying that it will or even likely will happen. How many players are ultimately against it will depend on how it is implemented if it becomes a reality.

Kilora
05.21.2013 , 12:58 PM | #248
A single dev saying that it is at the top of HIS wish list is far from saying that it will or even likely will happen. How many players are ultimately against it will depend on how it is implemented if it becomes a reality.
Yes, a single dev said it was at the top of HIS wish list,
AND that "WE" want people to be able to do this.

Seeing as how the only complaint so far is not making other people work for something over and over again for minimal benefit -- I doubt many will be upset.

As I said. It doesn't matter. I fully believe, based on what was said, that we will see it in the game at some point. You can hope that we won't see it -- but in the end, we will know only when/if it is announced. End of story.

Major_Error
05.21.2013 , 01:04 PM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
As I said. It doesn't matter. I fully believe, based on what was said, that we will see it in the game at some point. You can hope that we won't see it -- but in the end, we will know only when/if it is announced. End of story.
The legacy system needs *something*! It is fairly useless once you get it beyond level 25...
The Saito Legacy @ Ebon Hawk
Hiromi - Assassin . Kotone - Operative . Minori - Sith Warrior . Takane - Powertech
Chiasa - Sentinel . Shiori - Vanguard . Shuji - Scoundrel . Tomoko - Sage

Khevar
05.21.2013 , 01:29 PM | #250
If shared datacrons give a you reason to find them, then great. However, since the bonuses are insignificant enough that you could happily live without them and if they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal, then you should be willing to wait until max level to receive those actual stat bonuses.
Sure, I'd be willing to wait.

Honestly, it's not like this is some terribly important idea to me. What happened is, somebody posted this idea, I thought about it, saw how it would encourage me to do datacron hunting, thought it was a good idea, and added my vote into the "sure" pile.

Quote: Originally Posted by Major_Error View Post
The legacy system needs *something*! It is fairly useless once you get it beyond level 25...
Actually, this is an interesting point. What if this reward were only unlockable on a per-character basis and required a very high legacy level.

This is similar to how the legacy Character Perks work. Legacy Level X required, Y credits to unlock. And similar to the HK-51 legacy unlock, it could only be made available if ALL the datacrons had been gotten on a single toon.