Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So.. Account Wide Datacrons

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
05.21.2013 , 10:52 AM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
That character did not accomplish the necessary requirement to receive that bonus. If you want the datacron bonus on a given character, you should have to find the datacron on that character.
That is not a reason.

Because, everyone would have access to this.

Once again. Please give a REASON why this shouldn't be allowed -- or concede that you have no reason whatsoever other than your opinion, which really doesn't matter.

Tuurrell's Avatar


Tuurrell
05.21.2013 , 10:54 AM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Again, the "I want it and it won't affect you, so why can't I have it" argument?

Are you saying that you really want legacy wide datacrons so you can make level 1 god mode characters and not actually because you simply want to avoid having to do all the jumping and datacron hunting again?
I'm sorry but what, level 1 God mode characters? Since the 1-10 range doesn't allow for World PvP, Warzones or even FPs then this affects very little. Most people's focus on their 2nd + playthrough just want to get out of the starting areas as fast as possible, while paying attention to class quest story .

The ONLY thing your argument gives credence to is dueling, and if that's such a major concern then this is a very sorry state of affairs.

N.B I'm not even against having datacrons stats unlock at max level, but arguing about the datacron's affects for anything below level 10 is quite frankly absurd.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.21.2013 , 11:09 AM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
As I said, I had forgotten about those minor increases, since I no longer receive them. However, you receive that bonus for completing all companion conversations with a particular companion. If I complete Ashara's storyline quest chain and unlock the bonus for melee DPS companion, does that complete the quest chain for Akavi on my gunslinger?
Nope.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
If you want to use the argument that it is already possible to unlock a stat bonus legacy wide, so why not allow legacy wide datacron bonuses, I will concede that point.
Groovy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Using that same argument, let me propose something. If they allow legacy wide datacron bonuses, so that a player only has to do put forth effort on one character in order to receive the bonuses on all their characters (and that is exactly what that would be), I want to be able to unlock the ability to create max level characters with all companions at max affection and with all companion unlocks. After all, I put the effort with one character to get to max level, max out all companion affection, and unlock all companions, and we will already have the ability to do something on one character and have it affect each and every other character, existing or new, so it would be the same thing, right?
I get that what you're doing is taking my suggestion, and then trying to take it to an extreme to show that my original statement isn't valid. The Reductio Ad Absurdum approach.

But rather than comparing the datacron legacy unlock to something as extreme as a free level 50 unlock, let's compare it to unlocks that already exist in this game.

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats
2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus
3. It panders to the lazy player - Such as repair droid, gtn on ship, etc.
4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

My argument is that a legacy datacron unlock is comparable to existing benefits that can be obtained through legacy. Why is this one not okay, when the other legacy benefits and unlocks are allowed?

Let me also point out that I've been playing this game for a year and a couple months. I have 5 level 55s 4 more level 50s, and 4 others at other levels. I raid as a dps, healer and tank, I've mastered all crafting professions, I've made lots of credits. I have, in short, played the HECK out of this game.

One thing I haven't done is datacrons. I remember spending 2 hours on Hoth going for the +4 Cunning datacron, because every time you miss jump, you have to wait a coons age for the platforms to reset. After I while I was like, all this for +4 Cunning? Fuggeddaboudit.

If Bioware were to add this legacy option of sharing datacron unlocks, it would actually give me a new thing to do. Because it would be more valuable. I'd take the time go back and do all the jumping puzzles, if it were to unlock them for all 13 of my characters.

Now, the bonuses are insignificant enough that I could happily live without it. If they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal. But if they do, it would be cool for me, as it would suddenly raise my incentive to finally run them.

Does this make sense?

OmenQ's Avatar


OmenQ
05.21.2013 , 11:11 AM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by JesseSky View Post
We would really like to allow players to unlock datacrons at the Legacy level, and it's pretty high on my personal wishlist. We're still investigating the technical feasibility, so I can't make any promises.

I think that this is a great idea, but I have just one suggestion. I would say that they should be per faction. Even though many datacrons are shared between factions, there are several that are exclusive to one faction or the other. (Starter worlds and fleet, for example) Making them unlock per faction might alleviate some of the technical hurdles, and personally I wouldn't mind doing them all just twice. It would certainly be an improvement from having to unlock them all on each character.
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.21.2013 , 11:20 AM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
Well said sir. I have not read one single "reason" that is valid against this. It's only people who are gloating egomanicas trying to dictate how others "should" play their game. Because they "got it the hard way"....so should everyone else. It's all rather childish. If they don't like it, then don't use it. I fail to see why people care how others earn or get things like this in their game. I really don't care how others do. I worry about myself and dont concern myself with other peoples business. My ego doesn't run how I play, I play for fun....ego's be d**ned.
Did you EARN those stat bonuses on that new level one character? NO, you didn't. If you want those bonuses handed to you on characters that did not earn them, then why not wait until max level to receive them? That still gives you the option to hunt down a specific datacron if you want that particular bonus before max level.


Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
If you don't think it should exist, then don't use it. Why deny others something you don't care about?
Why not allow players who have already reached max level with one character and maxed out all companion affection and unlocked all companion bonuses to create max level characters with all companion affection at max level and all companions unlocked? After all, if you don't think it should exist, then don't use it. Why deny others something you don't care about?

OmenQ's Avatar


OmenQ
05.21.2013 , 11:20 AM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Again, the "I want it and it won't affect you, so why can't I have it" argument?

Are you saying that you really want legacy wide datacrons so you can make level 1 god mode characters and not actually because you simply want to avoid having to do all the jumping and datacron hunting again?
The stat bonus from the datacrons is quickly overshadowed by normal leveling. All it would really do is allow you to ignore your gearing until level 14 or so, when you can already purchase Inheritance gear and ignore gearing for another 5-6 levels.

My level 1 characters are already god mode, and as soon as I get a companion THEY are god mode thanks to the +100 presence from a level 50 human character. It all levels off by the time you leave Dromund Kaas / Coruscant or at the latest, Balmorra / Taris.
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.21.2013 , 11:22 AM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
That is not a reason.

Because, everyone would have access to this.

Once again. Please give a REASON why this shouldn't be allowed -- or concede that you have no reason whatsoever other than your opinion, which really doesn't matter.
That absolutely is a reason. It may not be a reason that you agree with, but it is a reason. I do not agree with your reason for wanting to be handed stat bonuses on characters that did not meet the requirements for receiving those bonuses. That reason would be nothing more than an aversion to work or effort.

Kilora's Avatar


Kilora
05.21.2013 , 11:33 AM | #238
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
That absolutely is a reason. It may not be a reason that you agree with, but it is a reason. I do not agree with your reason for wanting to be handed stat bonuses on characters that did not meet the requirements for receiving those bonuses. That reason would be nothing more than an aversion to work or effort.
No. You're upset with giving people a bonus for doing something on one character. And continuing to call others lazy for it.

Let me list the things you MUST be against, if that is your reasoning.

Presence bonuses
Companion bonuses
XP Bonuses unlocked through legacy, given through quests, and on the CM
Mounts
Quick Travel
Rocket Boost
Fleet Pass
Anything that lowers the CD on QT, RB, or the Fleet Pass

This is what we call a QoL feature. MOST QoL features are widely accepted by the community. Unless, of course, you have some asinine reason for calling it "laziness."

You have yet to give me a SINGLE reason, except that you feel they should "work for it." That goes against everything currently included in Legacy Unlocks. The stat bonus only has an affect on leveling, making it easier for some to level their Nth alt. For all of the legacy unlocks, I'm only required to do the work on ONE character -- and simple unlock it for the remaining characters.

This would be exactly the same.

Alas, as I said, you have given no reason other than you don't think other people deserve something they've already worked for once, to translate to their other characters. This is like a mini-game. Even achievements work legacy-wide.

They've said it is on there list. The dev that commented on it even said it was high on his wish list. So, I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'll be prepared for your QQ WHEN they do implement this, and 99% of the playerbase is happy for it.

Elminster_cs's Avatar


Elminster_cs
05.21.2013 , 11:33 AM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by JesseSky View Post
We would really like to allow players to unlock datacrons at the Legacy level, and it's pretty high on my personal wishlist. We're still investigating the technical feasibility, so I can't make any promises.

Nice, nice, hope to see it soon!
Member of Dread Master. The Red Eclipse Italian Guild.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
05.21.2013 , 11:35 AM | #240
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post

I get that what you're doing is taking my suggestion, and then trying to take it to an extreme to show that my original statement isn't valid. The Reductio Ad Absurdum approach.

But rather than comparing the datacron legacy unlock to something as extreme as a free level 50 unlock, let's compare it to unlocks that already exist in this game.

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats
2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus
3. It panders to the lazy player - Such as repair droid, gtn on ship, etc.
4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

My argument is that a legacy datacron unlock is comparable to existing benefits that can be obtained through legacy. Why is this one not okay, when the other legacy benefits and unlocks are allowed?

Let me see if I understand you.

We already have unlocks in this game that:

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats
2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus
3. It panders to the lazy player - Such as repair droid, gtn on ship, etc.
4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

So, since there already exist in game unlocks which allow you gain permanent stat bonuses which is the same thing datacrons do, then a legacy datacron unlock should be in game.

A is in game now, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.


My counter argument:

A legacy wide datacron unlock would allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have all characters rewarded as if all characters actually accomplished that task- in this case, finding the datacrons. Allowing the creation of max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companions unlocked once that player had accomplished that with one character would do the exact same thing-allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have a newly created character rewarded as if that newly created character had actually accomplished those tasks-in this case, reaching max level, maxing out all companion affection and unlocking all companions.

Therefore, B is the same as A. If they allow A to be in the game, then using your own argument:

A is in the game, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.