Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

orangefishboy
05.22.2013 , 02:13 AM | #661
Quote: Originally Posted by tman_ac View Post
This makes no sense at all. The subscription only model failed because BW couldn't bring enough content in time. If the game would have had that 6-8 weeks update schedule right from the beginning, many players wouldn't have left the game. Don't forget the initial sold units of this game. In May of last year SWTOR still had 1.3 million active subscriptions.

After the release they just failed to keep us attracted.The hardcore fans stayed and they introduced f2p. Now they are milking the hardcore fans on top of their subscription for features we should get for free. (according to Hickmans post back in the days)

So yeh, after f2p introduction they lost focus on the subscribers. What makes this MMO different to all other MMOs out there is: IT IS STAR WARS!

So players do care about their appearance, how their gear looks like or what species they play. If the subscription fee doesn't cover that, why do you even need to stay subscribed?

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to continue but not for all costs. I was okay with these fluff gambling packs on the CM, as well with all the other fluff you can buy. But why the hell you can only get the best looking gear from CM? Why do you even need to play the game when you get all this stuff exclusively only from CM?

If you haven't already, you should really face the truth that a sub is not worth it anymore. We have access to the stuff we had access to at the launch of the game and after f2p hit, we had to pay on top for everything else. (except of section x)

They add so much stuff to the market you can't earn enough coins with your monthly stipend to get it. They know it, and that's what they wanted to do. Milk the loyal customers even more.
Well yes, the cartel market is a way to make money, if we were supposed to be able to buy EVERYTHING on it with the monthly coins, it would all just be free to us in the first place. Also, everything on the market IS vanity, aside from the exp boosts, which are unneeded, since you can level from 1-55 in about a week. Also, every appearance change is hugely discounted for subs.

Arlbo_Nabbins
05.22.2013 , 04:55 AM | #662
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoogli View Post
NOT TRUE for the life-day bundle...
Until next life day when it will be back in the CM.

macumba
05.22.2013 , 05:12 AM | #663
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I will just be as honest as I can here, it was a poor choice in wording on our part. I know that players have made decisions around whether to remain a subscriber based on those words which makes it all that much more sensitive. I apologize if you feel that you were misled by what we said in that blog. Since this blog I feel we have been more consistent in our messaging that you can expect things like cosmetic and convenience features (like Appearance Designer) are the types of things we usually place on the Cartel Market.

It has always been our plan that as new content is released,(such as Flashpoints, Operations, in-game events, daily hubs, etc.) that subscribers will get access to these pieces of content. This is unlike a free-2-play player who will need to purchase access to that content. This is why we stated subscribers gained "unlimited" access to that content, because you get that as a part of your subscription.

For Cartel Market items, you have access to purchase all of them, as do F2P players. What sets you folks apart is your monthly stipend which will allow you to purchase those features at no additional cost should you choose. I realize with your stipend, and with all the features we have, you may not be able to get it all at once but you can get it in time as a subscriber.

With that being said we have definitely heard your frustrations around Game Updates and the value you feel as a subscriber. I don't have details today but we are continuing to look at options moving forward to make sure that you don't feel that way.

-eric
at first people chose to stay subscribers because it was said that there would not be much of a difference. you get your additional income from the cartel market that would not have been there in the first place (if the game had continued with sub only)

now if this was still a sub only game of course the race option would have either been included in the expansion (most probably that) or the subscription.

so compared to what the world would have been like if this was still a sub game we are getting less for for our money now.

ok the reality is now another and you are free to play and you can deduct anything you like, just not expect us to react kindly. we are paying a sub and there is no reason why we should not complain when you decide to decrease the value returned.
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Arlbo_Nabbins
05.22.2013 , 06:09 AM | #664
Quote: Originally Posted by Tekeda View Post
And also take note that this "content" update was issued in the middle of the month when alot of subscribers have spent their "free" coins.
What?

CCs are given out on the basis of your payment date, which is the day in the month that you started your sub. CC are only given out at the start of the month for those that pay at the start of the month. Mine arrive on about the 22nd each month.

Zadtro
05.22.2013 , 08:56 AM | #665
I am just annoyed because as a subscriber it says clearly on the comparison sheet that whoever subs doesn't have to unlock other species, we can level up from lvl 1. Now if paying for subs is no longer going to unlock species then i think i need to question subbing, the main reason for doing it was because i wanted to be able to play all the races when i make new characters.

I know its a business so they need to make money so i can understand non subs paying for it but if we have been paying monthly since launch I don't see why we can't just start at lvl 1 with new species.

tman_ac
05.22.2013 , 04:45 PM | #666
The TORtanic is sinking. All these new feature are meant to ban/get rid of players. What has happened the past weeks is so entertaining. Most of my free-time I am spending now on the forums instead of in the game.

Guess when I decide to resub it is only because I have access to the forums.
T3-M4 - Seven Stuck
Dragonslayer The Eternal Warrior Gate Crasher Conquerer of the Dread Fortress

bionamaster
05.22.2013 , 04:47 PM | #667
Quote: Originally Posted by tman_ac View Post
The TORtanic is sinking. All these new feature are meant to ban/get rid of players. What has happened the past weeks is so entertaining. Most of my free-time I am spending now on the forums instead of in the game.

Guess when I decide to resub it is only because I have access to the forums.
So, you believe EA/Bioware is attempting the demolish it's playerbase, on purpose, for "teh lulz"?

Yeah........have fun with the Forums, pal. Good to know you'll be paying them money to post, at least.....
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

tman_ac
05.22.2013 , 04:48 PM | #668
If you haven't noticed it, my last post was meant to be a joke. Get over it!
T3-M4 - Seven Stuck
Dragonslayer The Eternal Warrior Gate Crasher Conquerer of the Dread Fortress