Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Hit and Run (Begeren Colony) Method HM SV Dash

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The Hit and Run (Begeren Colony) Method HM SV Dash

MisterMuse's Avatar


MisterMuse
05.16.2013 , 09:32 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Probably because the people in your guild have scruples.

In reference to the OP: I've got no admiration and no pity for those who exploit boss mechanics because all they do is force the developers to spend time patching and "fixing" these people's abuse of a system rather then fixing more important things on their never-ending list of things to fix.

What are the boss mechanics? They are : Usage of shield generators and personal shield generators. I highly doubt the devs ever intended for people to stand right outside the sandstorm and have you tank the boss right inside the sandstorm in an effort to cheese the system and ignore the shield generators completely. I'm sure the OP will come back with some sort of validation of their efforts or the ever laughable "We are just innovating" excuse.
So what, there's only ever supposed to be one tactic to down a boss? Seems rather boring in my opinion.

Sykomyke's Avatar


Sykomyke
05.16.2013 , 10:31 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterMuse View Post
So what, there's only ever supposed to be one tactic to down a boss? Seems rather boring in my opinion.
Normally yes. And even where there are maybe different options on how you go about that tactic it still utilizes the mechanics of the system.

A perfect example of this is the HM KP fight with G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator. The overarching mechanic of this fight is the usage of the overhead "jets". That is a core mechanic to the fight and is not intended to be circumvented. People got smart and realized as time went on that they didn't have to move him around as much, and figured out how to use the same "jet" over and over, making it the optimal path to go. This is fine as it still takes up time to "reset" the Tower of Hanoi puzzle, but you gain the benefit of not having to move the boss around.

The strategy the OP suggested for Dash in SnV would be akin to taking G4-B3 down through some other means while avoiding the mechanic of firing the jets at all. The OP's suggested strategy removes a CORE mechanic of the encounter; which is utilizing the shield generators.

I'm all for optimization of positioning, and mechanics and intelligent use of of those mechanics in flashpoints and operations. What I can't stand is when people explicitly avoid intended mechanics or bug the system out and then claim it's "intended".
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
05.16.2013 , 11:01 AM | #13
I have to agree, it is not really an achievement and should be filed under please fix.

Kawabonga's Avatar


Kawabonga
05.16.2013 , 11:26 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Normally yes. And even where there are maybe different options on how you go about that tactic it still utilizes the mechanics of the system.

A perfect example of this is the HM KP fight with G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator. The overarching mechanic of this fight is the usage of the overhead "jets". That is a core mechanic to the fight and is not intended to be circumvented. People got smart and realized as time went on that they didn't have to move him around as much, and figured out how to use the same "jet" over and over, making it the optimal path to go. This is fine as it still takes up time to "reset" the Tower of Hanoi puzzle, but you gain the benefit of not having to move the boss around.

The strategy the OP suggested for Dash in SnV would be akin to taking G4-B3 down through some other means while avoiding the mechanic of firing the jets at all. The OP's suggested strategy removes a CORE mechanic of the encounter; which is utilizing the shield generators.

I'm all for optimization of positioning, and mechanics and intelligent use of of those mechanics in flashpoints and operations. What I can't stand is when people explicitly avoid intended mechanics or bug the system out and then claim it's "intended".
From what i gather this isn't like the buggy bonus boss in mandalorian raiders where you just stand still and dps the boss without it doing anything (i don't approve of doing that, and since i'm the tank i get to choose fortunately. But, my good friend, that is still just good positioning).

Switching tanks in this scenario requires very good timing and coordination, otherwise the boss will reset, not to mention sooner or later tanks will take quite a fair bit of damage in the sandstorm and will have to move to cleanse the dot, and make sure they don't do that when a stun is incoming. This method doesn't look any easier than following the correct mechanics, which by the way are insultingly easy.

paowee's Avatar


paowee
05.16.2013 , 11:54 AM | #15
While calling it a bug or an exploit is susceptible to player bias, i think some words we can all agree on to describe it would be:

1. creative
2. lol
3. HAH!
4. lols...
5. not intended

Quote:
Switching tanks in this scenario requires very good timing and coordination, otherwise the boss will reset...
following the correct mechanics, which by the way are insultingly easy....
Now now I think this is justifying yourself too much

Anyways.. yeah! It looks fun I guess. Like I said, creative but definitely not intended. If popularizing this method means forcing the devs to patch and fix it----i sure hope it doesn't kick off. That manpower could be going into something more worthwhile.. like a new operation or NiM SnV! Check out this new relic.. kell-dragon-relic-of--serendipitous-assault
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

TrillOG-'s Avatar


TrillOG-
05.16.2013 , 04:50 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MisterMuse View Post
So what, there's only ever supposed to be one tactic to down a boss? Seems rather boring in my opinion.
So...taking advantage of the mechanic and standing in 1 spot without having to move unless you're a tank isn't boring? Basically, all you did was make the fight completely lame.
Twitch
Gate Crasher
World First

MeisterBabylon's Avatar


MeisterBabylon
05.16.2013 , 07:01 PM | #17
Smart tactics or overwhelming advantage usually makes a fight pretty lame. Like gunning down extremists in the open with an M61. It just happens.

Whether this is WAI or not however will depend on the devs.
"I feel your anger, Master."
"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL MY ANGER!!"
"...Okay, I'm officially scared."

Bzziki's Avatar


Bzziki
05.17.2013 , 10:57 AM | #18
reps exploit a boss, plz ban all ops

Radzkie's Avatar


Radzkie
05.18.2013 , 12:40 AM | #19
Interesting find, though I do not think my ops group would approve of using this.
Radzkie (Seer) | Elím (Sawbones)
The Lovecraft Legacy
<Ascension>