Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best tank combo for high end Operations?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Best tank combo for high end Operations?

TridusSWTOR
05.15.2013 , 01:04 AM | #1
So I been offered to tank for a raid group and I asked them whether or not they wanted me to tank on my jugg or assassin. The raid leader didn't mind either choice.

I like playing them both, but I figured since the other tank is an assassin, I might as well play jugg. I'm not a number person, so that choice was just a "gut" feeling.

Thus the reason I made this thread, Does a jugg/sin combo provide better gains for the whole group or would a sin/sin ultimately be better? I won't say I'm the best tank ever, but I can play both pretty well and like I said I enjoy playing them both.

So I'm really looking for any mathematical gains or maybe a sins CD's are better than a juggs(vice versa) in certain boss fights? Something along those lines.

Panzerfire
05.15.2013 , 02:11 AM | #2
Hard to say, juggs got a lot better and seem on par with assassins, Force Shroud/Resilience got de-emphasized in S&V compared to earlier operations. I don't know if one or the other has a clear advantage in hnps (healing needed per second). Maybe go for practicality and if verpine bulwark drops they won't be a waste if you're a jugg. And a jugg will be easier to heal as there is spike damage which sometimes drops an assassin to very low health.

Hockaday
05.15.2013 , 02:52 AM | #3
Juggernaut. Clear choice because of jump and that aoe threat. Perfect off tank for certain S/V fights, Thrasher, and that leaning robot.

Both will work though, but from an ideal persepctive, You'd want PT or Jug with sin imho.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

Snarkasms
05.15.2013 , 03:17 AM | #4
Variability is always good, so I'd agree with the jugg. It can also depend on group composition - if you manage to run a group of DPS where nobody has an armor debuff (or maybe only one DPS has it when you need to do a split fight), the jugg is a clear choice for their debuff.

Kitru
05.15.2013 , 07:55 AM | #5
Doubling up on Shad/Sin tanks isn't something I would generally recommend because they have a really spiky incoming damage profile and there are just some fights that, because of this, they're just not suited to tanking effectively. On the other hand, because of their CDs and self heals, there are also some fights that they are imminently suited for, so you generally want to have one Shadow tank around just because we're so useful.

My favorite tanking combination has always been one Shad/Sin with one Guard/Jugg, and it's only gotten better with 2.0 with Guardians getting the substantial utility and survivability buffs as well as reductions in their CDs and general spikiness. They're pretty much explicitly better than a VG, imo, because they'll take less damage over time and manage to have a pretty much identical damage curve, not to mention having amazing CDs whereas the VG's definitely leave something to be desired.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

KeyboardNinja
05.15.2013 , 10:13 AM | #6
I've been running double shadows for several months across multiple groups, and it certainly has some advantages, but I do not recommend it (especially in 2.0). While it's really fun to cheese a mechanic on its face by popping unique cooldowns or exploiting mobility (e.g. killing Sunder last and laughing at the hard enrage), but the problems with twin shadows far outweigh the benefits.

My favorite combo is guardian/shadow. I liked that combo best even before 2.0, and now it has only gotten better. Guardians have the best emergency cooldowns, while shadows have the best utility cooldowns. They are both high mobility, but their mobility works in very different ways, providing helpful disjunction in weaknesses. Guardians and shadows each put out excellent threat and damage, both snap and sustained. Overall, they're both great tanks and the class design is highly complementary.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)