Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What contructive changes could be made to Customization, Collections and Dyes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What contructive changes could be made to Customization, Collections and Dyes?

LordArtemis
05.14.2013 , 02:40 PM | #1
Before I start, I wanted to say I am happy to see both systems in the game. Though they are not as fleshed out and intuitive as I would have liked them to be, it's a start IMO. But I think both systems need some adjustments and some further work.

Here would be my list.

Dye system

I would like to find out why this feature is set up the way it is. If I were to speculate as to the reasons myself....

- The current armor system only accepts one color code. That code can have a primary and secondary color, but it is a single code. Hence the lack of two slots.
- Textures are limited for most armor designs and therefore alternate colors do not exist.

...that would be my guess. Whether or not this is true would probably shape the discussion moving forward, so I personally feel it is important to discuss this with the community.

I am going to assume that that is not the case for my suggestion however.

I would suggest the current system be modified to the following....

Mission and Drop armor of Green, Blue, Purple quality (without moddability) - Dyes that drop in the world or are given as mission rewards can be used for this armor. No crafted, vendor or Cartel dyes can be used in common armor dye since they have no dye slot...they are simply dropped on the armor and the color changes. No preview is available.

Moddable armor of all types - This armor can accept crafting, vendor or Cartel market dyes, but cannot use drop dyes.

The reason for this is simple...this allows free players to easily color armor at a low cost, personalizing their look for "disposable" armor. Since the armor is discarded shortly after use, and current dyes cannot work in this kind of armor it has no impact on the economy.

ALL moddable armor, with the exception of iconic sets should have the ability to be dyed. The current system is a bit confusing, as some sets can be dyed, others cant.

I still feel strongly that all moddable armor needs to be converted to empty orange adaptable armor, regardless of source, and have it's level set by the mods installed...you remove the mods and it becomes level 1 armor. Right now the three types of orange armor, as well as having green, blue and purple armor moddable confuses the issue IMO.

The restrictions on "Theme" or "Iconic" armor would remain in place. No dye slots.

Bugs - It appears that color match is not working properly when using primary or secondary single color modules. It is causing strange results and probably should be looked at.

Character Customization

This feature has a few flaws IMO and though I am happy to see it, I think a few adjustments would make the feature far more palatable.

Allow EC cost (like the legacy system) for subs as an alternative. It doesn't have to be cheap, but the option should be there. The CC discount helps, but it's not enough IMO. Try to keep in mind that folks like to change their appearance often...the price does not have to be so high to get profit from it.

Allow cross race detail options. One of the hallmarks of post creation options should be allowing all options for all races...like all the tattoos, jewelry, etc on all races. This makes the system VERY appealing and would generate income I would expect.

Offer a free one time character design session for free to subs. Just a way to throw a bone to current subscribers.

Include system that allows companions to be customized with limited options. Drop ins can remain as simple easy EC cost customizations. All options that can work besides race change should be offered.

Bugs - There are no bugs I can see at present. I would recommend, however, you consider using the preview window you have for this feature as the new preview window for gear. It is much larger and better suited for that purpose.

Collections

This is by far the most confusing system you have implemented IMO. Here are the present problems as I see them.

- It is confusing as to what constitutes an unlock for a particular armor set or item. Does it have to be in your inventory? Is it only specific to that character with respect to purchase? Does it have to be acquired from the market and not the GTN? If I sent the item to an alternate character on my account, does that character now get the unlock? Why do items that I am wearing not show up as a collection? Why are items I have purchased not showing up as a collection?

- The purpose and function of the reclaim system is unclear. How does it work? I do not see any way to reclaim a collection I have unlocked, but I do see icons that tell me I can't claim those items since I have not purchased them yet. Do the items have to be gone from my inventory? Items that I purchased and unlocked but no longer have have no way to reclaim them.

Now, I would like to add that the bug report screen does have a small write up on the feature which is helpful, and a few others have posted that removing certain types of armor and crystals from your character and placing them in your inventory will sometimes update the system.

My suggestions are as follows...

Post a write up explaining exactly how the system works on this website. This is vital IMO.

Change the system to display individual pieces of armor that have been unlocked. This is important IMO. Right now you display only percentages, and the categories are a bit confusing. It would be easier if we could see each individual armor piece, what we still need, etc.

Allow any items that you purchased directly from the market to be unlocked for all subs characters on an account free of charge. This would be a "right now" item to throw a bone to subscribers, so to speak. It would only count for subs, and only for the period of login you specify.

Bugs - It seems there is no way to reclaim items you have already unlocked, though this might just be a problem with understanding how the system works.

I may add more later, thanks for your time.

CelCawdro
05.14.2013 , 02:46 PM | #2
Add non-CM items to collections, with the ability to use coins to unlock for the account.

Lock all mods (armourings, enhancements, modifications) to the type of gear being generated to allow the addition of statted gear to the system without also adding the ability to infinitely generate mods.

iamthehoyden
05.14.2013 , 02:48 PM | #3
One of the things I've liked about the cartel market so far is that the vast majority of the items on it can be bought and then traded to other characters. It's a system that allows those with disposable income and the inclination to spend it to make some credits and those who have extra credits and a disinclination to spend more than their sub fee to get the cm items they want. Win/win. And BW gets some extra money that would otherwise be burning a hole in someone's pocket.

I would really really love to see vouchers for the customizations available through the kiosk be tradeable between players.

As it stands, I may spend a minimal amount of cc to change one scar on one character, whereas I'd be quite happy to drop a bunch of credits for vouchers and play with different looks on a regular basis. You're leaving money on the table. Give me a method to change my looks with credits.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

LordArtemis
05.14.2013 , 02:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Add non-CM items to collections, with the ability to use coins to unlock for the account.
Should there be some kind of criteria to add the sets, like Planetary Heroics, Flashpoint sets, etc.?

CelCawdro
05.14.2013 , 02:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Should there be some kind of criteria to add the sets, like Planetary Heroics, Flashpoint sets, etc.?
Well, of course there would be categorization. PvE sets, PvP sets, random drops, planetary sets, alignment sets (if they would get around to existing), crafted sets, etc. Mostly, I desire this system to be expanded in order to allow the transfer of unobtainable to newer characters, such as the Korrealis mounts, the event titles and gear, etc.

Methinks the ball is in BioWare's court for how they choose to implement it, though. As long as the ends are met, I will never dictate the means to a developer.

LordArtemis
05.14.2013 , 02:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
One of the things I've liked about the cartel market so far is that the vast majority of the items on it can be bought and then traded to other characters. It's a system that allows those with disposable income and the inclination to spend it to make some credits and those who have extra credits and a disinclination to spend more than their sub fee to get the cm items they want. Win/win. And BW gets some extra money that would otherwise be burning a hole in someone's pocket.

I would really really love to see vouchers for the customizations available through the kiosk be available and tradeable between players.

As it stands, I may spend a minimal amount of cc to change one scar on one character, whereas I'd be quite happy to drop a bunch of credits for vouchers and play with different looks on a regular basis. You're leaving money on the table. Give me a method to change my looks with credits.
They could also allow subs to buy coins with EC, say at a 1k per 1 coin ratio, with a max purchase allowed of 500 coins per month. Not to mention allowing subs to earn more coins engaging in regular game actions, like grinding certain mobs, running lower heroics and crafting with a cap, of course.

That combined with the current stipend might ease some of the pain of charging coins for the feature for subs.

LordArtemis
05.14.2013 , 02:54 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Well, of course there would be categorization. PvE sets, PvP sets, random drops, planetary sets, alignment sets (if they would get around to existing), crafted sets, etc. Mostly, I desire this system to be expanded in order to allow the transfer of unobtainable to newer characters, such as the Korrealis mounts, the event titles and gear, etc.
This is a pretty good idea. I might add it to the original post if you dont mind.

TUXs
05.14.2013 , 02:54 PM | #8
If they'd have wanted our opinion on this matter, they would have asked prior to this release. There are a crap ton of suggestions already out there.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Arkerus
05.14.2013 , 02:56 PM | #9
The best basic change they could do it add a primary and secondary slot.

That's about all I really care to comment on. Other than that I think its a completely optional fluff component and I don't really care all that much.

The standard colors on the in game sets never seemed wrong to me.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

iamthehoyden
05.14.2013 , 02:58 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
If they'd have wanted our opinion on this matter, they would have asked prior to this release. There are a crap ton of suggestions already out there.
Well, I said I'd wait and see what they did. They did something stupid. So I made a suggestion. They'll either listen or they won't, but not saying anything doesn't really help.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box