Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CE Dye - Unbound: Intended?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jankiel
05.30.2013 , 01:54 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

I apologize for the delay in response but I wanted to understand exactly what happened before commenting. Here is what transpired and why your dyes ended up BoP.

As you know, when 2.1 went live the intent was that the CE vendor would have two exclusive dyes. We unfortunately released them as not being BoP, so that wasn't the case. As soon as we caught this the Cartel Market team created a bug fix, that bug fix was to have the dye modules correctly be BoP.

After some thought, we discussed with the Cartel Market team and determined the best course of action would be to leave the dyes as is. This way you folks could have something you control the market on! Then on top of that, make sure in a short timeframe to get new dyes added to your vendor which would be BoP and be exclusive to you. Once I had that decision in hand, I came and made the post which all of you saw explaining exactly that.

Now the question of what happened today. Well, as you can tell, what was originally a bug (dyes not being BoP) was fixed, even though it wasn't supposed to be. I am not positive where the disconnect happened but unfortunately that bug was addressed as a part of 2.1.1. I take full responsibility for this, when reviewing the patch notes for 2.1.1, I didn't notice that change was in there or I could have potentially caught it before it went live. Feel free to blame me for that one!

Looking forward, this is what we are going to do. We meant it when we said that we were planning to leave those alone. We will be removing BoP from those two dyes in 2.2. Currently the plan is you will see two new dye modules going on the CE vendor with Game Update 2.2.

I apologize for any confusion.

TLDR: A bug fix unfortunately happened after we decided to leave it as is and I didn't catch it before it went live. In 2.2 they will revert back to not being BoP and in our current plan, you will see two new BoP dyes on the CE vendor.

-eric
Thanks Eric. It's good you can accept responsibility when something goes wrong and have the guts to tell it. That way you build respect. Im satisfied with the current course of action your taking with the issue. I'd be better if these things didn't happend but I guess thats life.

Cheers to all you apologists out there
Coris of The Progenitor
Mandalorian Hunters & Razorwing

GSF Pilot Master Race

Andryah
05.30.2013 , 01:54 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkWyndre View Post
We care because Eric lied to us. Again.
Some of you really need to get a grip.

Stop treating every public comment from Bioware staff as cast in stone, cannot be changed, and some sort of ironclad contract to you personally.

They changed their mind. Get over it. People and companies change their minds all the time.... and where companies are concerned.. left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is fairly common....so stop with the perjorative statements IMO.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.

DarkWyndre
05.30.2013 , 01:54 PM | #103
Hey everyone,

I apologize for the delay in response but I wanted to understand exactly what happened before commenting. Here is what transpired and why your dyes ended up BoP.

As you know, when 2.1 went live the intent was that the CE vendor would have two exclusive dyes. We unfortunately released them as not being BoP, so that wasn't the case. As soon as we caught this the Cartel Market team created a bug fix, that bug fix was to have the dye modules correctly be BoP.

After some thought, we discussed with the Cartel Market team and determined the best course of action would be to leave the dyes as is. This way you folks could have something you control the market on! Then on top of that, make sure in a short timeframe to get new dyes added to your vendor which would be BoP and be exclusive to you. Once I had that decision in hand, I came and made the post which all of you saw explaining exactly that.

Now the question of what happened today. Well, as you can tell, what was originally a bug (dyes not being BoP) was fixed, even though it wasn't supposed to be. I am not positive where the disconnect happened but unfortunately that bug was addressed as a part of 2.1.1. I take full responsibility for this, when reviewing the patch notes for 2.1.1, I didn't notice that change was in there or I could have potentially caught it before it went live. Feel free to blame me for that one!

Looking forward, this is what we are going to do. We meant it when we said that we were planning to leave those alone. We will be removing BoP from those two dyes in 2.2. Currently the plan is you will see two new dye modules going on the CE vendor with Game Update 2.2.

TLDR: A bug fix unfortunately happened after we decided to leave it as is and I didn't catch it before it went live. In 2.2 they will revert back to not being BoP and in our current plan, you will see two new BoP dyes on the CE vendor.

-eric
And this is how EricMusco- goes to EricMusco++ -- FWIW, the only more detailed explanations for things I've ever seen came from CCP for awhile when they explained specific technical details (for awhile) behind certain game issues.

I'm sure that things at Bioware have been chaotic with all the team restructuring and two teams working from two different directives seems like a fairly likely occurrence. Seem like you guys need to keep a specs bible and have someone whose job it is to make sure game change deployments match the specs.

11-11-11 Better than expected

Kilora
05.30.2013 , 01:54 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
So, a version of the game you cannot even get anymore let's people get a dye you cannot get with out getting the version of the game you cannot get anymore.....

Why not let people buy it and sell on GTN? Is it the end of the world if people could? No.
You can still get it -- just not through BW.

I do think they should have a CE upgrade purchasable though. But, this would be them giving something to the people who had faith in them and paid extra.

There are a good portion of vehicles, armor, pets, etc. that you cannot get anymore. And some of them, you may never be able to get again. Don't see any problem with that.

Cleet_Xia
05.30.2013 , 01:56 PM | #105
Mr. Musco... you just get more and more impressive all the time.

Thank You Eric for confirming that this wasn't an endrun around getting the CE some new dyes.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

SweetsPatogga
05.30.2013 , 01:57 PM | #106
Or you guys could put patches up on the test server so the players can catch these things before they go live. In both the original case of them not being BoP when they should have been and the case now when they went BoP when you didn't want them to be, the players would have caught this if it were on the PTS.

DarkWyndre
05.30.2013 , 01:58 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Some of you really need to get a grip.

Stop treating every public comment from Bioware staff as cast in stone, cannot be changed, and some sort of ironclad contract to you personally.

They changed their mind. Get over it. People and companies change their minds all the time.... and where companies are concerned.. left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is fairly common....so stop with the perjorative statements IMO.
Somehow I had an inkling you'd show up and say something like this. You may want to read Eric's post.

11-11-11 Better than expected

Andryah
05.30.2013 , 01:58 PM | #108
And this is how EricMusco- goes to EricMusco++ -- FWIW, the only more detailed explanations for things I've ever seen came from CCP for awhile when they explained specific technical details (for awhile) behind certain game issues.

I'm sure that things at Bioware have been chaotic with all the team restructuring and two teams working from two different directives seems like a fairly likely occurrence. Seem like you guys need to keep a specs bible and have someone whose job it is to make sure game change deployments match the specs.
I agree.

Not only did Eric take time to explain the chain of events to folks..after he spent time to go find out what happened, he did it in a forthright manner to the community.

People calling Eric a liar every other day needs to stop IMO.

Andryah
05.30.2013 , 01:59 PM | #109
Somehow I had an inkling you'd show up and say something like this. You may want to read Eric's post.
I did.

And I stand my my statement.

Ever work in a large company? This sort of thing happens. It's precisely why there are people whose job is to manage communications and relations with customers. Get over it.

Glzmo
05.30.2013 , 02:16 PM | #110
Hey everyone,

-eric
What about the one from the security key vendor? I hope those will get tradable again as well since you mentioned those as well in your original post but for some reason you've ommitted it from this one.