Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Welcome to Game Update 2.1: Customization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Welcome to Game Update 2.1: Customization
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FatZomby
05.19.2013 , 07:59 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownAnonymous View Post
honestly i can understand the customizations all all the new appearance adds to compliment this recent expansion. But seriously alot more needs to be fixed before throwing cosmetics around such as credit limitations to pref player status 350k cap is B.S. and definitely paying CC to get credits(escrow crap) is beyond rediculous, it's as if you think your customers are mindless money splurging idiots. 350k cant even support buying gear for my toons, companions and its annoying trying to sell things from the bag and not being able to access credits which we spend lots of time to achieve. I know i may seem like im just complaining to benefit which is not the case. I subscribe every now then when i know i have time through out my schedule (we do have lives ) . I am a very patient player unlike most who have high expectations due to their "im entitled to the world style" (example: wow, rift, etc.). Also even as a sub CC prices just aren't where most us can agree should be. You guys seem to have alot of (vice comm packs, dark lord packs, etc.) which are like 300CC and the hyper versions are like 7K (***! ) LIKE WHOA , we pay $15 a month and only get 500 CC just doesn't make sense or is even considered a reasonable amount by many players in this game. I love this game since im a huge star wars fan and the fact that this game actually has a large backstory than any game just brings joy as to what is next in the future but before thinking so , i hope the real issues that will soon arise at a faster rate now will be addressed in the next Official expansion. Overall good game but i do know their is more potential than your putting out. Thanks for reading if any you developers ever get a chance to see. P.S. MASTERKUNTAH SENDS HIS REGARDS =)
1. Credit limitation is there to encourage subscriptions. It is one of the biggest things about being a subscriber. In no way do they need to change this. Especially now with those escrow things being able to be bought of which I think is a mistake considering how cheap those are....

2. 350k is more than enough to equip your toons provided that you forget about equipping artifacts (which isn't needed). It is what you call buying before you reach you maximum credit limit.....

3. You get 500+ cc as a bonus to your subscription. Don't forget all the other things that are included into a subscription such as unlimited item loots from fp's, op's, space missions, etc....

4. There really isn't that many issues that need to be handled for the game unless you yourself thinks they know more than the actually employees of the game....

5. There is always more potential for a game. And that is what they are doing with the Makeb additions as well as other things.....and that is adding more material....

6. I personally do agree though that 15$ a month is pricey. At that price, it practically encourages people to just play the storylines or be short-term subscribers. After I complete my storylines for all 8 of my toons, I am not sure if I will continue unless more storyline is implemented a little more frequently. i won't complain though as I feel as though I am and have gotten my money's worth....

and btw, look at all the things on the GTN that came from the cartel market... Even though prices seem high, those that are paying for it are letting us in on buying the stuff from them with in-game credits. Whooh! Did I just tell people a way to get stuff for no real life money at all? I think I just did....!

DEMarq
05.19.2013 , 08:02 PM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by FatZomby View Post
1. not with in-game currency. I have played 3 f2p games and all three of them only sold color changes via real money. Well, World of Tanks doesn't, but then again...you don't get to keep them either for very long....

2. I do agree that it costs too much for the color changes. But, as far as initial sales upon release, I would have the prices on the higher side too to ensure that there isn't an over-abundance of those dyes on the market. Of which, there is already a 100 pgs in about a week's time of sales.... So it might no be priced high enough yet.....

3. I have to dis-agree with making items unbound... if this was done, then there would not be a need to go back to the market. Which should be considered every-time you make a toon. Unbinding items will literally kill the GTN as you won't have a need to go back to the GTN. When i refer to the holostatue's such as the hutt, Shan, or Malgus, those were not in overabundance already and I still don't see the need why those were changed to binding.... Those literally didn't have any effect on the game beside the fact of convenience for those who paid a good penny for those (hence the reason why I am upset at change). Things that were in overabundance should have a bind to them to simply get rid of them off the GTN in due time....

Lastly, I like changes, but not when a customer pays for something to later find out it got changed. To me, this is huge in keeping customers happy. One game (CrimeCraft), that is all they did was continuously changed things in the game. You can only imangine that naturally the population is/still is/was going down because people weren't getting what they paid for (unless they were looking to get screwed).
Well, I may not have played as many MMO's as you have, but the ones I have played and still am playing I've never needed my wallet for a costume change or a color change. And as for the rest, I'm just not changing my opinion but will respect yours...
Active Subscriber, And loving it!

FatZomby
05.19.2013 , 08:08 PM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by DEMarq View Post
Well, I may not have played as many MMO's as you have, but the ones I have played and still am playing I've never needed my wallet for a costume change or a color change. And as for the rest, I'm just not changing my opinion but will respect yours...
I honestly have no idea what MMO stands for. But the games I am referring to are CrimeCraft (fps), World of Tanks (fps?), and something else (can't remember the name and mmorpg I think?).

I also look at this game and see that it has a slew more of options for personalization than those other games I mentioned above. Seems to me that customization to personalize your toon is the main thing for this game..... That is where the money will be.... and it seems fitting.

All is cool. all of us have different opinions....

Morgahn
05.20.2013 , 01:25 AM | #274
After a few days playing with the customization, I foresee a number of potential issues, and would like to suggest a consideration on how to fix it. I'm not saying I'm right, or my solution's the only solution, but just I'm looking ahead and have a concern.
I LIKE the dye options. It gives me the chance to change the (sometimes awful) colors of gear to something more pleasing. I like that dyes are created through Artifice, as it gives another dimension to an oft-maligned Crew skill.
That said, here's the issue: As it has been presented you get 3 options: change Primary, change Secondary, and change Primary and Secondary. The customization is only partial, since not all colors are available, and not all colors available are craftable (as yet) via Artifice. Again, I can conceive that is to encourage buying through the Cartel Market.
Several problems lie ahead if the dye system isn't thought out now.
1) all dye recipes are purple, which, if I understand the rules correctly, automatically exclude premium and F2P crafters from even using them.
2) Assuming dye recipes are added to Artifice every update or so, it could lead to potentially hundreds of schematics dealing with various combinations. Just assuming 12 primary (ROYGBIV, Blk, Brwn, Wth, Grey, Lt Grey) and 12 secondary schematics alone, there could be 144 potential schematics for primary and secondary pairings. That would make artifice overwhelmed.
3) There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what makes a dye set Premium, Prototype, or Artifact, which I find somewhat confusing.

I'm hoping that there's a plan to streamline that, and here's a thought on a solution:
1) Make dye colors Tiered. For Example:
Red, Green and Blue (and their shades) could be Premium.
Yellow, Orange, and Purple, Brown, and Grey could be Prototype
Black and White could be Artifact.
That way, you don't overwhelm Artifice with a gazillion schematics, and there's a rationale for what color is what.
2) Make the dye packs "Custom Crafted" So you would take, say, a black and red dye pack, put them in a "blank module" and apply, and it would make a Black/Red dye module. It's quality could be considered Artifact since the Black was Artifact level.

I'm not saying the idea is perfect, but I would like to see something come down the line more in keeping with "Customizatoin." As it is , it's a limited customizatoin.

Pompeia
05.20.2013 , 02:05 AM | #275
I honestly have no idea what MMO stands for. But the games I am referring to are CrimeCraft (fps), World of Tanks (fps?), and something else (can't remember the name and mmorpg I think?).

I also look at this game and see that it has a slew more of options for personalization than those other games I mentioned above. Seems to me that customization to personalize your toon is the main thing for this game..... That is where the money will be.... and it seems fitting.

All is cool. all of us have different opinions....
You seem to be confusing F2P with Freemium - wich this game is. This game is not competing with mediocre titles like World of Tanks or whatever that Crimecraft is (titles that are class Z?). It is competing with Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, Aion, Age of Conan, Vanguard, and soon Rift too, etc (wich are done by well known and talented companies), Freemium games (games with a subscription and a free to play option that has several limitations). Freemium is done aiming to get more subscriptions.

Guild Wars 2 is also competing with this game, and it has far less limitations on the F2P component.

I wouldnt play those F2P mediocre titles unless I got payed for that. I dont need to, I can still afford a subscription to get quality gameplay. I have tried some out of curiosity, Rune of Magic and other options of the same style (done by devs with good background). We even have to pay if we want a mount wich isnt F2P at all, unless you enjoy the boredom of running around all the time. I do however am willing to accept Freemium if I do enjoy a game, but only to a certain extend where it doesnt require subscribers the same has the F2P example I gave, like the mount requirement I mentioned.

FatZomby
05.20.2013 , 04:49 AM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by Pompeia View Post
You seem to be confusing F2P with Freemium - wich this game is. This game is not competing with mediocre titles like World of Tanks or whatever that Crimecraft is (titles that are class Z?). It is competing with Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, Aion, Age of Conan, Vanguard, and soon Rift too, etc (wich are done by well known and talented companies), Freemium games (games with a subscription and a free to play option that has several limitations). Freemium is done aiming to get more subscriptions.

Guild Wars 2 is also competing with this game, and it has far less limitations on the F2P component.

I wouldnt play those F2P mediocre titles unless I got payed for that. I dont need to, I can still afford a subscription to get quality gameplay. I have tried some out of curiosity, Rune of Magic and other options of the same style (done by devs with good background). We even have to pay if we want a mount wich isnt F2P at all, unless you enjoy the boredom of running around all the time. I do however am willing to accept Freemium if I do enjoy a game, but only to a certain extend where it doesnt require subscribers the same has the F2P example I gave, like the mount requirement I mentioned.
um, so what exactly are you saying? are you saying the free to play players deserve to have the same options as paying players? doesn't sound very profitable for any game to do that. And in order to encourage players to invest, limitations have to be made. In order to keep the game looking good and have various looking things in it, limitations have to be made...even for paying players. Not much fun if everyone had black capes in the game. takes away being unique....

btw, comparing to other games probably isn't the best thing either. Star Wars in general has an entire fanatic fan base much larger than most other sports, movies, games, etc.... Naturally the prices will be higher due to their being more people with larger amounts of money playing the game. This creates limits as well as far as options go. Those other games I mentioned, probably doesn't have the same thing as SWOTOR either. Do those games have 8 different class storylines with multiple side quests for f2p players that actually use cutscenes instead of a paragraph? Sorry, but so far I haven't seen another quite as interesting as SWOTOR with versatility, customization, personalization, game types, class variances, animations, etc....

btw, I wasn't confusing anything with anything. I would repeat myself, but I think you can just re-read what I typed.

As far as you not playing some of those mediocre titles because you aren't getting paid, seems to me you are losing out on being able to appreciate a game like this available as a free to play game. I am sure you will and/or have complained on those other game's forums as well about not being able to have what others paid for too.

FatZomby
05.20.2013 , 04:52 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgahn View Post
After a few days playing with the customization, I foresee a number of potential issues, and would like to suggest a consideration on how to fix it. I'm not saying I'm right, or my solution's the only solution, but just I'm looking ahead and have a concern.
I LIKE the dye options. It gives me the chance to change the (sometimes awful) colors of gear to something more pleasing. I like that dyes are created through Artifice, as it gives another dimension to an oft-maligned Crew skill.
That said, here's the issue: As it has been presented you get 3 options: change Primary, change Secondary, and change Primary and Secondary. The customization is only partial, since not all colors are available, and not all colors available are craftable (as yet) via Artifice. Again, I can conceive that is to encourage buying through the Cartel Market.
Several problems lie ahead if the dye system isn't thought out now.
1) all dye recipes are purple, which, if I understand the rules correctly, automatically exclude premium and F2P crafters from even using them.
2) Assuming dye recipes are added to Artifice every update or so, it could lead to potentially hundreds of schematics dealing with various combinations. Just assuming 12 primary (ROYGBIV, Blk, Brwn, Wth, Grey, Lt Grey) and 12 secondary schematics alone, there could be 144 potential schematics for primary and secondary pairings. That would make artifice overwhelmed.
3) There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what makes a dye set Premium, Prototype, or Artifact, which I find somewhat confusing.

I'm hoping that there's a plan to streamline that, and here's a thought on a solution:
1) Make dye colors Tiered. For Example:
Red, Green and Blue (and their shades) could be Premium.
Yellow, Orange, and Purple, Brown, and Grey could be Prototype
Black and White could be Artifact.
That way, you don't overwhelm Artifice with a gazillion schematics, and there's a rationale for what color is what.
2) Make the dye packs "Custom Crafted" So you would take, say, a black and red dye pack, put them in a "blank module" and apply, and it would make a Black/Red dye module. It's quality could be considered Artifact since the Black was Artifact level.

I'm not saying the idea is perfect, but I would like to see something come down the line more in keeping with "Customizatoin." As it is , it's a limited customizatoin.
That does seem like a lot...soo much in fact that I barely understood what your solution was. Was tired when I read it, but I figured it out. Sounds like a good idea.

Pompeia
05.20.2013 , 10:19 AM | #278
um, so what exactly are you saying? are you saying the free to play players deserve to have the same options as paying players? doesn't sound very profitable for any game to do that. And in order to encourage players to invest, limitations have to be made. In order to keep the game looking good and have various looking things in it, limitations have to be made...even for paying players. Not much fun if everyone had black capes in the game. takes away being unique....
What I am saying is that most other Freemium games allow you to use the barbershop for 1 in-game gold or less. Exception made on Aion wich also requires a store ticket like SWTOR. And has far as i know this rule applies to both subscribers and non subscribers (I'm a subscriber).

Like I said on my feedback post, I do agree that changing race and swaping to the new eye color/hair style should be payed with real cash. I do not however agree that we should pay real life money for options that were here since launch. And I think 3 new hairstyle for humans only is overpriced, because its only usable on humans.

You say that subscribers get more then enouigh juice from their subscription. I'm starting to worry has I see this game direction acting more like if it was a true F2P without "Premium membership" (aka subs), in the sense that its charging for even the most basic stuff now. And no, I dont think F2P players should be forced to pay to change hairstyle either, if that hairstyle was on character creation screen since the begining.

Thats what I mean.

TUXs
05.20.2013 , 10:23 AM | #279
I agree to this and don't. As much as I would like to have it for free, why would BW do it if it didn't help the profits?

Asked? Never been asked to spend any of my Cartel Coins. Expected...maybe. But I have control of how I wish to spend my Cartel Coins. I think the price is too high sure enough, but expecting it to be free is ludicrous....
Because it DOES help the profits. Had they simply allowed players to change basic features as part of this update like hair style, hair color, scars, tan, eye color - or hell, only a couple of those, people would have been THRILLED with this update for the customization it allowed. THRILLED customers tell the people they know. THRILLED customers spread their excitedness on other forums. THRILLED customers defend the game. THRILLED customers are your best freaking weapon in re-winning lost subscribers or keeping new players.

Instead - they created BITTER players for a quick 5 day run at some easy $. Rather than this being a NEW added FEATURE that improved SWTOR for the long term, it's simply another cartel item.

And stop being so freaking literal, "asked" as in - that's what they "suggest" that subscribers should use their monthly pittance/handout/charitable gift of cartel coins for, for things we like in the store...after-all, that is how they design all cartel items right? With our monthly coins in mind.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer 7-day free sub Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

FatZomby
05.20.2013 , 02:31 PM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by Pompeia View Post
What I am saying is that most other Freemium games allow you to use the barbershop for 1 in-game gold or less. Exception made on Aion wich also requires a store ticket like SWTOR. And has far as i know this rule applies to both subscribers and non subscribers (I'm a subscriber).

Like I said on my feedback post, I do agree that changing race and swaping to the new eye color/hair style should be payed with real cash. I do not however agree that we should pay real life money for options that were here since launch. And I think 3 new hairstyle for humans only is overpriced, because its only usable on humans.

You say that subscribers get more then enouigh juice from their subscription. I'm starting to worry has I see this game direction acting more like if it was a true F2P without "Premium membership" (aka subs), in the sense that its charging for even the most basic stuff now. And no, I dont think F2P players should be forced to pay to change hairstyle either, if that hairstyle was on character creation screen since the begining.

Thats what I mean.
ok. I see what you are saying. thank you.

I also agree in that it should cost cc for species, tatoo, and skin color changes (include the newly released items too of course). And I also agree that it should only cost cc's if the newer or above things were to be changed instead of the things that were there since the game's birth. Makes more sense that a barber can redo your hair on occasion....lol

An no, I just think that subscriptions are good as they are. Getting a subscription has its own rewards and doesn't really include discounted items unless they (employees) wish to reward the subscribers. Of which I am all for when they do. Makes it feel more worth while being appreciated....